Menu

fabulous audiobooks?

JennyD

After months of obsessive listening to the Stephen Fry et al recordings of Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner (and let's not forget the dramatic reenactments, complete with English accents), I think that my boys might finally consent to move on to something new. Any suggestions? I'd like something suitable content-wise for a 3yo and 6yo, but with relatively sophisticated language, on the theory that if they're going to memorize it anyway, it might as well be worth memorizing. My 3yo in particular is crazy for audiobooks and will listen for long stretches, so attention span is not an issue.

I was thinking of perhaps A Bear Called Paddington -- Stephen Fry has an audiobook for that, too, and DS6 loves the series-- but I could kind of use a break from bears. Is there maybe a particularly good recording of The Wind in the Willows that someone might recommend (I see that there are several)? Other ideas?

Edited by JennyD

Well, my favorite all time recordings are stories written and read by Neil Gaimen, the man is a WONDERFUL reader. Patrick Stewart is a close second.

The Wizard of Oz is great at this age, my daughter loved A Series of Unfortunate Events. My Father's Dragons was good, and The BFG was a great hit (make sure to get the unabridged version!).

I've heard good things about Dr Doolittle, Mrs Piggy-Wiggle and Mr Popper's Penguins.

I am NOT a fan of the readings of the Little House books done by Cherry Jones. She really dumbs-down the books with the way she reads, and her accent is all wrong.

Alice in Wonderland was a great hit, but I read it aloud with the help of annotated version. I second all of the above suggestions!

Absolute favorites in our house or should I say car are Charlottes Web, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, The Tale of Despereaux, Stewart Little, the Trumpet of the Swan, and the Wizard of Oz. My kids also really loved Matilda but there are some very rude characters who use a lot of name calling. I used it as an opportunity to teach on manners and bullying. Enjoy!

Absolute favorites in our house or should I say car are Charlottes Web, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, The Tale of Despereaux, Stewart Little, the Trumpet of the Swan, and the Wizard of Oz. My kids also really loved Matilda but there are some very rude characters who use a lot of name calling. I used it as an opportunity to teach on manners and bullying. Enjoy!

:iagree:

I forgot about those! We've not listened to Matilda but I LOVE the rest of that list.

My boys LOVE "Dominic", as well as some of the others mentioned, especially "Trumpet of the Swan".

Probably not what you're looking for, but my 7yo requests SOTW nearly every single night!!! For almost 2 years now. Anything by Jim Weiss is wonderful, although I've read some people don't like his voice. I don't get that - I think he's great and my boys do, too.

Try the free downloads on Storynory.com - they have King Arthur, Greek Myths and stories, lots of fairy tales, etc. Natasha is an excellent reader, and funny!

'The Princess and the Goblin' and 'The Princess and Curdie' both by George MacDonald are wonderful stories (favorites of Tolkein) and are read beautifully by Ian Whitcomb.

Someone mentioned 'Dominic' and I'll second that suggestion.

James Simmons reading The Mary Pope Osborne version of 'The Odyssey'

Padraic Colum's Unabridged Children's Homer read by Robert Whitfield.

'The Princess and the Goblin' and 'The Princess and Curdie' both by George MacDonald are wonderful stories (favorites of Tolkein) and are read beautifully by Ian Whitcomb.

We loved these!

I like to listen to British stories on CD because I feel the accents add to the story. We've loved many: The Indian in the Cupboard and anything by E. Nesbit come to mind.

My kids also really liked Misty of Chincoteague Island and Stormy, Misty's Foal.

Most of the Jim Weiss stories have been a hit here. Sherlock Holmes of late has been popular, but it is a little complex. Uncle Wiggily stories by him were a hit when my reading it aloud was not.

Paddington by Stephen Fry is popular here with a couple of my kids.

James Herroit's Treasury for Children read by Jim Dale

Have you looked at the Naxos website? It's a UK label, but if you like Stephen Fry you may well like them. They're mainly recorded by English actors so they're very good quality. They have lots of excellent recordings of classics you can download. My sons favourite at the moment is the abridged version of Alice in Wonderland.

http://www.naxosaudiobooks.com/juniorclassics.htm

Try the free downloads on Storynory.com - they have King Arthur, Greek Myths and stories, lots of fairy tales, etc. Natasha is an excellent reader, and funny!

WOW, what an awesome free resource!!! SO well done, and FREE! Thanks so much for posting the link. I have already downloaded a few stories and poems and made a CD for DS's. He will be SO THRILLED!