Menu

Need recommendation for a C-Rod book-And Miquon question

Wildwood

Hello,

I am wanting to purchase a good C-Rod book to use with my 4 year old, looking for suggestions.

I saw this one, wondering if anyone has opinions about it or could recommend another...

http://www.christianbook.com/idea-book-cuisenaire-rods-primary-level/9781569117484/pd/7357538?event=CBNETP#curr

Also, thinking of possibly using Miquon Orange with her some time soon, and wondered if it is suggested for use with a 4.5 year old. I'm attracted to the discovery oriented approach for her and think it will fit her beautifully---from what I can tell.

Thank you!

I have that book on the shelf, and I don't find it very useful. There is nothing in there that isn't covered better in Miquon.

Jump into Miquon with both feet. Use the Orange book, and follow the author's advice to make up your own lab sheets together.

Eh. I think it depends. There's very little in there that's not in Miquon, but the layout is much friendlier than Miquon and has lots of inroads for getting kids used to the rods and getting you as an instructor used to the rods. So, Miquon is clearly the superior resource, especially in the long run, but I think it can seem daunting. So... I think some people would really benefit from having a gentle, more modern and accessible introduction to ideas for the rods. That said, if you're sure you're going the Miquon route, just get the Miquon materials and delve in.

Eh. I think it depends. There's very little in there that's not in Miquon, but the layout is much friendlier than Miquon and has lots of inroads for getting kids used to the rods and getting you as an instructor used to the rods. So, Miquon is clearly the superior resource, especially in the long run, but I think it can seem daunting. So... I think some people would really benefit from having a gentle, more modern and accessible introduction to ideas for the rods. That said, if you're sure you're going the Miquon route, just get the Miquon materials and delve in.

This is very helpful, thank you.

Do take a look at this free ebook as an intro into the C-rods.

Yes! This ebook is awesome! And be sure to print out the cards as well. You can see my 2 year old using them here. She would just match the rod to the picture. My 2 year old loves playing with the rods with us.

My 4 year old went straight into the Orange book and we haven't looked back since! :D

Yes! This ebook is awesome! And be sure to print out the cards as well. You can see my 2 year old using them here. She would just match the rod to the picture. My 2 year old loves playing with the rods with us.

My 4 year old went straight into the Orange book and we haven't looked back since! :D

Excellent, I will definitely print this out!

Thanks, nansk and KristenR.

Slight thread hijack:

I am starting my 2nd grader and my 4 year old in Miquon after Christmas (if I can wait that long!). Would both of them start with orange or would I put the 2nd grader in a different book?

TIA.

I'd be interested to learn this as well as I have a 2nd grader and a 4 year old also. It might be nice to have them both using the Miquon, if possible, at least in part.

Also, if they both did Orange, would each need their own Orange book? Thank you.

Hello,

I am wanting to purchase a good C-Rod book to use with my 4 year old, looking for suggestions.

I saw this one, wondering if anyone has opinions about it or could recommend another...

http://www.christianbook.com/idea-book-cuisenaire-rods-primary-level/9781569117484/pd/7357538?event=CBNETP#curr

Also, thinking of possibly using Miquon Orange with her some time soon, and wondered if it is suggested for use with a 4.5 year old. I'm attracted to the discovery oriented approach for her and think it will fit her beautifully---from what I can tell.

Thank you!

You could try looking for a copy of the Cuisenaire Alphabet Book for your 4yo if the Orange book is too much. It is out of print, but I found a used copy on Amazon, and my DD is enjoying it, it gently gets you working with the rods while practicing letters and little pictures. I plan on moving her up to Orange when we finish it.

Well, I am one of those people that believe that with Miquon and Singapore, you do not just jump in to a level until you have learned the approach. So, even though Adrian finished Horizons 1 last year, I reviewed SM 1A with him and started him with Miquon Orange. We are now cruising our way through Red :) and I am happy that Adrian's conceptual understanding has shot up since using this combo. It was the main reason for the switch.

ETA: I am anticipating that by the end of the summer, we should be done with the four Miquon books, saving the other two for grade 3. SM is also smooth sailing now.

Edited by Guest

Slight thread hijack:

I am starting my 2nd grader and my 4 year old in Miquon after Christmas (if I can wait that long!). Would both of them start with orange or would I put the 2nd grader in a different book?

TIA.

I'd buy Orange and Red and use whichever sheets were appropriate for whichever child. Photocopy the sheets so you can reuse them; you may be able to use some of the sheets several times in different ways, esp. with the 4-yo.

The 2nd grader may zip through it, but I don't suggest skipping anything that isn't stultifyingly obvious (like filling in a 100-chart). And sometimes, my 6-yo actually wants to do the mind-numbing easy stuff; sometimes, I can't stop her from filling in the hundreds charts.

(just like I've given up stopping her from writing her name at the top of every SINGLE page!!!)

I am a mean mom :tongue_smilie:! We started Miquon recently and I started Adrian with the Orange book. I made him do every.single.page! We are now doing the same with red. What can I say! I am a slave driver ;)!

Well, I am one of those people that believe that with Miquon and Singapore, you do not just jump in to a level until you have learned the approach. So, even though Adrian finished Horizons 1 last year, I reviewed SM 1A with him and started him with Miquon Orange. We are now cruising our way through Red :) and I am happy that Adrian's conceptual understanding has shot up since using this combo. It was the main reason for the switch.

ETA: I am anticipating that by the end of the summer, we should be done with the four Miquon books, saving the other two for grade 3. SM is also smooth sailing now.

Marie,

Thanks very much for your input on this. My feeling was that starting at the beginning with Miquon would be the best approach, thank you for confirming this.

Glad to hear your SM/Miquon combo is proving to be very beneficial.

I'll talk with you soon : )

Marie,

Thanks very much for your input on this. My feeling was that starting at the beginning with Miquon would be the best approach, thank you for confirming this.

Glad to hear your SM/Miquon combo is proving to be very beneficial.

I'll talk with you soon : )

You're welcome :)! You know what I always say! This is what worked in our home ;). I would rather start him from the beginning now and ensure he has the conceptual understanding he will need later, than to let him base his knowledge on memorization, without "getting it".

FYI, if you're using Miquon with more than one child you might be interested to know that you can buy it in PDF form at CurrClick. I wish I'd known that before I bought all the books for my first child and now will have to repurchase them for my younger daughter. Would've been much easier and cheaper to have the ability to print the pages as needed!

I would check the cost of having the pages printed vs. the cost of buying the books. I know I did and for me, it was cheaper buying them printed from Rainbow. If you can print them cheaper than buying them printed, then it is definitely worth considering :)!

The books are so cheap that I do wonder if it is worth printing them oneself. And I sort of like the one-color old-fashioned quality of the books vs laser printer, etc.

Bill

:iagree: I like that too!