Menu

Phonics/Reading program with NO writing needed?

I have a child who has some pretty severe fine motor skills delays. She knows all her letters, uppercase but not lower, and all their sounds. She is very smart and has a vocabulary 1-2 years above her peers. She also has excellant memorization skills. But she cannot write at all. And she cannot use a mouse. We are working on this, trust me. In the meantime, she is ready to read.

Do you know of any programs where writing or a computer are not required? I let her play on Starfall with her sister, but I have to sit with her and let her point to the correct letters to make the word and she gets frustrated.

I was also going to suggest Phonics Pathways (although we did PP in combbination w/ Explode the Code). I could see using PP with letter tiles if that's an option or just on it's own.

As early readers I also like Bob Books, Starfall books and the k12 books that you might be able to find used someplace on line.

And I like the LeapFrog videos such as Letter and Word Factory

Edited by kmoncelle

Do you know of any programs where writing or a computer are not required? I let her play on Starfall with her sister, but I have to sit with her and let her point to the correct letters to make the word and she gets frustrated.

Reading Reflex requires no writing. There are letter tiles (that you photocopy and cut out - very inexpensive) that you move to make the words rather than writing them.

For a free variation, try Blend Phonics. Since your daughter knows her capital letters, you could just teach it with capitals and work on the small versions of the letters later.

That's what programs like Teach Your Child to Read in Just Ten Minutes a Day do anyhow, to reduce guessing--since all letters are the same height--and because then they can start reading store names, etc., from the car, and headlines in the paper.

To reinforce what she's learning, instead of having her write, you could take another leaf from the Teach Your Child to Read in Just Ten Minutes a Day book and use an index card with the letter written on it--large--and have her trace. Or, you could have her use some of Handwriting Without Tears' products (or at least ideas), such as their wooden pieces for capital letters, or their other manipulatives. In a similar vein, check out the Wikki Stix alphabet cards.

Personally, I prefer that my children learn to write from their handwriting program, so, like many other posters here, I skipped over the writing portion of the phonics program we used with my first kid (100EZ). I'm pondering starting with capital letters and using some of those manipulatives myself for my second and third children.