Menu

Considering Quartz countertops - give me your opinions please

We had a Silestone counter in our last home. Silestone is a brand name of manufactured quartz. It was nearly indestructible. It did not chip like our current granite. It did not get watermarks like granit. I even split superglue on it and it came off.

I loved Silestone, and would use it again in a heartbeat. It is more durable than granite. (My dh is a realtor...and we both have looked and built several homes.)

Hi all,

We're considering getting Quartz countertops and would like some opinions from the hive. We have heard that they can chip easily and are concerned because of that...otherwise, I'd rather not do laminate and we are choosing not to do granite.

Blessings,

Angela

We have had Quartz for 8 years without a chip. I have two boys whose playroom is right next to the kitchen, so we've had many flying objects bouncing off countertops. The look beautiful and require no maintenance.

I vote Quartz!

Thanks Everyone!

We just don't want to spend the extra money and then find out we have chips all around the sink (My boys are 10yr and 12yr and help with the dishes.) The internet is soooo confusing. Some places say Quartz is indestructible, some say chips can be repaired, some say it can't be repaired. UGH!! Such a big decision.

Blessings,

Angela

We had Silestone in our house and it was wonderful! No scratches, no chips, no issues at all. I did not baby the counters at all, just business as usual. I even would occassionally cut on the counters directly if in a hurry (!) because it didn't effect the counters at all. So nice. They were also easy to clean and always looked good.

Now we're in a (rental) house with old school laminate countertops and I am really missing my Silestone counters. If we ever own again and have the option, I would definitely buy Silestone.

My Mom has Silestone and it is lovely! The only problem is she had her crockpot set on the counter and the seam or joint where two pieces were connected seemed to become more visible. She contacted a representative and was told to not set hot things directly onto the counter top surface. So when she uses her crockpot she places it on a cutting board, that seems to have solved the problem.