Menu

Disney ???? -- waiting in line etiquette

For all the Disney World experts, I'm curious what the line etiquette is for meet and greets or maybe the Candelight Processional standby line. Specifically, if I am standing in line and my DH takes the boys and sits over on a curb or bench nearby (has a snack or something) and then gets in line with me when it gets close to our turn, am I going to have a bunch of parents all bent out of shape? It is just the 4 of us going. I think I might have a problem with this if several families were travelling together and only 1 person stayed in line for 2 or 3 families (and these families all wanted their own pics, etc with the characters). That would likely upset me. Not sure if it should, but I think it would.

I was going to post on a Disney forum, but I'm afraid I'll get bashed there and I don't think you lovely ladies would do that over a question like this :D!

TIA

Possibly. Rides, definitely. Character M&G are different. The amount of people in your family really doesn't make a difference. DH waited in line FOREVER to see Phineas and Ferb with the kids. DD 4 was ansy so I followed along side (outside the ropes) with her in her stroller. When it was time for us to be closer to the front I ditched the stroller and got in line with her. At Epcot, DD and I waited about 45 min at the main M&G. There were plenty of people in and out of line and it really didn't bother me.

That would irk me, yes.

We often make decisions about whether to get in a line based on how long the line appears to be. So, if we chose to get in line for a show or character greeting, assuming that the number of people in front of us was, in fact, the number of people in front of us, only to have two or three more people join in at the last minute, I would be rather ticked.

Also, I've lost count of the number of times that we've been bumped from what we thought would be "our turn" to get on a ride or have an experience because the single person in front of us waved over six people once we all got to the front of the line.

I'm sorry. I don't think it's fair. And I think it's especially unfair for the children whose parents won't do it, since they have to wait in line and be patient while others get away with not doing so.

That would irk me, yes.

We often make decisions about whether to get in a line based on how long the line appears to be. So, if we chose to get in line for a show or character greeting, assuming that the number of people in front of us was, in fact, the number of people in front of us, only to have two or three more people join in at the last minute, I would be rather ticked.

Also, I've lost count of the number of times that we've been bumped from what we thought would be "our turn" to get on a ride or have an experience because the single person in front of us waved over six people once we all got to the front of the line.

I'm sorry. I don't think it's fair. And I think it's especially unfair for the children whose parents won't do it, since they have to wait in line and be patient while others get away with not doing so.

I hear what jenny in Fl is saying and tend to agree. Also though I have seen it done and have had it done to me numerous times. We're annual passholders and go a couple times a month. And honestly- it does happen all the time. Lots of people do it. Etiquette-wise its probably not proper but I haven't ever seen an issue made of it. I know Disney does allow parents to swap off with the Rider Swap pass thing on some rides- maybe you can look into it.

We did it last time we were at Disney (as did many others) and no one said a thing. I don't expect my 3 or 5 year old to stand patiently in a line for an hour. We split our time so one of us would wait in line and the other would walk the kids around, make bathroom and food runs, etc. When the person waiting got near the front we would text the other to bring the kids back.

I think for me the issue was if adding my kids back to the line would lengthen someone else's time.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I mean, you are potentially standing in line for an hour or MORE. Someone needs to go to the bathroom, which may not be close, someone else just needs to sit down for a while, someone else wants to go look over there at that shop...go ahead.

I mean, if you thought you were next, and then a family showed up to join their member that was waiting in line, so you have to wait another five minutes. It's not the end of the world, it's five minutes. Nothing to get irked about, because your family might be the one that needs to do a "split up while I stand in line" act at the next ride.

Frankly, whether there's one person in the group, or six people in the group in front of you, it's not going to make that much of a time difference for you, the group was STILL in front of you, whether you saw it or not. So those that got irked are saying they would have just preferred the visual of the group standing in front of them?

OP, it's pretty much the norm at Disney. Anyone who gets upset with you is probably just tired and cranky from a long day at Disney...and guess what in about five minutes, they'll blend into the crowd never to be seen again.

Edited by Samiam

For all the Disney World experts, I'm curious what the line etiquette is for meet and greets or maybe the Candelight Processional standby line. Specifically, if I am standing in line and my DH takes the boys and sits over on a curb or bench nearby (has a snack or something) and then gets in line with me when it gets close to our turn, am I going to have a bunch of parents all bent out of shape? It is just the 4 of us going. I think I might have a problem with this if several families were travelling together and only 1 person stayed in line for 2 or 3 families (and these families all wanted their own pics, etc with the characters). That would likely upset me. Not sure if it should, but I think it would.

I was going to post on a Disney forum, but I'm afraid I'll get bashed there and I don't think you lovely ladies would do that over a question like this :D!

TIA

You would TOTALLY get bashed on the Disney forum for a question like this! sigh...ask me how I know! LOL

One lady on disboards asked this exact thing in regards to the Dumbo ride and she'll probably now be scarred for life. :tongue_smilie:

What you are asking, while many reasonable people probably wouldn't have a fit over it, is kind of really frowned upon. While most people at most would maybe roll their eyes, you may run into people that would really get upset (especially if it's hot and crowded...people get really nasty when it's hot and crowded)

We go yearly. One time, I had my oldest daughter take my youngest to get in line for the fairies while I parked the stroller. I then went to catch up with them in line and people were having a fit. (which is really ridiculous but whatever...)

Your best bet, really, is to plan plan plan and be proactive. Get to the meet and greets at rope drop. There are SO many strategies to minimize your wait times.

Have fun!

Get to the meet and greets at rope drop. There are SO many strategies to minimize your wait times.

You have me very curious now. What is "rope drop"? Can you elaborate on this strategy? Pretty please?

(I didn't even know there were Disney boards. Or strategies. Feeling stunned, but hopeful that this new knowledge will serve us well on our next trip. Thanks.)

I have never minded it when it was mom or dad in line and then the kids were brought in. After all, it's not the dad or mom who wants to meet the character so I didn't really think that some adult is generally standing in line with no kids ...

When an adult waves over HIS kids ...... and nieces, nephews, and cousins, and friends, and all their kids and suddenly there is a group of 25+ people ahead of me in line who weren't there a moment ago? Yeah, that bothers me a lot.

I might be upset.

I would definitely be more upset for rides (as someone who judges length of line before getting in one) and a little less upset for meet and greet. I would be more likely to be tolerant if people budging in line (and yes, that is what they are doing) have young children - say under 5.

I have no issues with an adult and child/ren leaving line to go to the washroom and immediately getting back in.

If your child is too young to wait in line for a meet and greet, I would suggest you find another way to meet characters. Some times and places are way less busy than others, certain restaurants have character meet and greets that come to your table.

I do think that if you find it to genuinely be a norm at Disney (one person as a place holder inline) go for it.

The only line etiquette I can offer, is please don't bend over in front of anyone if you're going to show a big, hairy, plumber's crack. That happened to DH in Disney and I believe it scarred him for life ;)

As for your original question, yeah, it kind of irks me when people do that, but if I had the choice to have a group waved over in front of me and have to wait an extra 5 minutes to get on my ride OR stand in line for an hour in back of whiny, over-tired, restless children, I'd take the surprise group in a heartbeat.

You have me very curious now. What is "rope drop"? Can you elaborate on this strategy? Pretty please?

(I didn't even know there were Disney boards. Or strategies. Feeling stunned, but hopeful that this new knowledge will serve us well on our next trip. Thanks.)

Well, "rope drop" is when the parks FIRST open, and are the least crowded. When Toon Town was still there in Magic Kingdom (its gone now), that section opened at 10. Due to all the research I did, I found out that it REALLy opened at 9:45am...soooooo..you get to the rope at 9:35 and be ready to go. The guys would come out and "open" toon town and walk everyone in an orderly fashion (eh hem) down to the tent to go meet the fairies. Well, if you got there even 15 minutes later, the line would be 90 minutes. BUT , if you got there right when they opened, it would be 10-15 minutes top. By the time we'd come out, 90-120 minute wait.

There are strategies for dealing with the fast passes, meet and greets. There are even strategies on what parks to go to on what days due to crowd levels. Seriously! Visit: tourguidemike.com

Go to: disboards.com

If you have any hope of getting decent dining times, you need to make your dining reservations WAY in advance.

This is serious stuff girl! LOL I have it down to a SCIENCE.

You can get a TON of info on disboards.com

Just avoid the following topics: pool hopping, refillable mugs, line cutting, and giving up your seat for a poor old lady. (yeah, some of the folks kind of have no life outside of Disney, but it's very very informative!!!)

The families and theme parks and strategies boards are awesome.

If you have any hope at ALL of going on Toy Story Mania at Hollywood studios without wasting your whole day in line, you really need to get there when they first open. Fast passes are often all distributed for the entire day by 11am or earlier!

ETA: a lot also depends on when you go. We often go during a busy time. (end of August) so planning ahead really helps.

Edited by JulieH
adding something

Wel

Just avoid the following topics: pool hopping, refillable mugs, line cutting, and giving up your seat for a poor old lady. (yeah, some of the folks kind of have no life outside of Disney, but it's very very informative!!!)

r!

May I add: do not discuss if you should leave a towel as a placeholder on a chair at a pool or waterpark :glare:

We were just there a month ago and I can't think of any characters that we waited an hour for. I'd say 20 minutes for the longest (Woody and Buzz) and 2nd or 3rd walking up for several. Most were 15 minutes.

Last month was probably one of the lowest crowd calendar months. December will be insane!

Last month was probably one of the lowest crowd calendar months. December will be insane!

I thought about adding this to what I typed but I didn't want to go into unnecessary detail, haha. We were there during the Food and Wine Festival. I didn't find it any less busy than it was when we went in early August a few years ago. We may have waited half an hour for some princesses on that trip.

I don't mind if one parent waits and at the end the other parent and a young child or children join. I do get annoyed when someone waits and a large group of able-bodied people join at the last minute. We all wait together when we go and have done so every single time ~ even with young kids. We may leave the line to grab a drink or go to the bathroom but we don't avoid the line so we just don't have to wait.

And the busses, refillable mugs, pool hopping, and what age a child can go into the restroom alone! :tongue_smilie:

and don't forget the questions about bringing your little boy into the ladies room!!! gasp!

OP..it really is a good source of planning. It just has it's quirks like most message boards! lol

/hijack

I was one that said, "I don't care I will take my DS to the restroom with me. There are crazy people everywhere". I was told I hovered, was parenting wrong, and royally screwing up my child because I was making him fearful of the world. Then last week, a man gets caught peeping over the stalls in the women's room in Epcot. I so want to hop over there and post a big TOLD YOU SO!

/hijack

I was one that said, "I don't care I will take my DS to the restroom with me. There are crazy people everywhere". I was told I hovered, was parenting wrong, and royally screwing up my child because I was making him fearful of the world. Then last week, a man gets caught peeping over the stalls in the women's room in Epcot. I so want to hop over there and post a big TOLD YOU SO!

Do it!:sneaky2:

Just kidding...I think

Thanks, JulieH! I will be checking out those boards - and avoiding those topics - before our next trip! :lol:

And now I can talk about the "rope drop" too. :)

Will you plan our next trip for us? Pretty please?

...Our last trip was in Feb, and it was also our first... We must have just lucked out because there were almost no lines, we never even needed fast passes. Just walked up to the rides. Gotta love that! Now I'm afraid we'll never repeat that experience.

OP, I was watching your thread to see the response, and just want to pipe in and say that I would not be upset if you had DH stand in line, and then brought the kids in as we got closer. I think that sounds pretty par for the course, especially with young kids. (Larger groups would be different, of course.)

be sure not to post any disparaging remarks about a cast member, resort or park...even if, say you were given a room that wasn't cleaned properly. Unless of course you like being lambasted. Great source of info but some folks there are in competition for appearing more grateful than the next to Disney for taking their money (a lot of it) and providing whatever they feel is best. Don't get me wrong, there are some awesome CMs and they should be praised but, conversley, nonperformance should not be tolerated.

In short...no public vents about anything Disney. You will be skewered. You've been warned. ;)

It wouldn't bother me at all if an adult stood in line for smaller children, elderly folks, people with disabilities, etc. :001_smile:

People with disabilities can get a pass so they don't have to wait in line. :) My younger brother is disabled and loves Disneyland. Of course, we didn't find out about this special pass until about ten years ago. :tongue_smilie:

We went in September and really didn't stand in lines too much, but one thing that helped was my SIL loaning us a copy of the Hidden Mickey book. It has a scavenger hunt at each line with clues for "hidden mickeys" at each of the attractions. My kids (even the 5 year old) got such a kick out of looking for Mickeys. They drove us a little crazy with it, but it took the boredom out of waiting in line. Also, I downloaded several free Disney apps to my phone, and the 5 year old played some Disney games while we waited in line. Lines were also snack time for us....since you can bring food into the park, I had lots of prepackaged snacks that we ate while waiting in line.

We're here now, and it's been fairly busy.

About your question, it reminded me of something that we witnessed last year in the Toy Story ride line. It was 70 min. long, and we decided to wait, since we didn't get to the park early enough for Fast Passes. After about 40 min., the little boy in front of the group in front of us needed to go to the bathroom. His mother got out of line to take him. When they returned, the woman behind them (at the front of the group in front of us) absolutely refused to let them back in line. She completely through a fit about it, and they left, very upset.

It wasn't pretty. :glare:

Wow ladies! Thanks so much for your responses. I should have added to my OP that I AM NOT talking about lines for rides at all! That is one thing I would not do. We are going for 2 weeks (leaving in 2 weeks) and going to the parks a couple of times each. We are going to the Christmas Party and some of the characters you can only see there -- the dwarfs, beast, the wicked stepsisters. Those are the lines I'm most interested in. To see the drawfs, it is recommended to line up at 5:30 or 5:45 to be able to see him them quickly at 7. Not sure how the kiddos will do for over an hour standying. May have to take the single stroller so we can let one sit down and take a break. We will likely be able to catch many of the other characters with no problem. We are also doing Chef Mickey so that takes care of some if them :D,

/hijack

Boy, that was a hot thread!!! I didn't respond, but there is no way in heck I'm letting my 6 year old boys go into the men's room alone. DH will be there to handle all that anyway, but when they are with me, they come into the women's room. I did ask DH if he thought I was sheltering them too much at 6 with this and he said NO WAY!

be sure not to post any disparaging remarks about a cast member, resort or park...even if, say you were given a room that wasn't cleaned properly. Unless of course you like being lambasted. Great source of info but some folks there are in competition for appearing more grateful than the next to Disney for taking their money (a lot of it) and providing whatever they feel is best. Don't get me wrong, there are some awesome CMs and they should be praised but, conversley, nonperformance should not be tolerated.

In short...no public vents about anything Disney. You will be skewered. You've been warned. ;)

You've got that right. I haven't posted much over there -- mostly just used them for research. Great boards for that. I did get curious and ended up posting this question. Haven't headed over yet to see what they are saying. Should be interesting. I don't know these people though so I don't know that I care if they go off :D!

To anyone going to Disney soon, so many great sites. Disboards.com, allears.net and wasywdw.com are just a few.

Thanks again! You guys are the best!

I would think that the standby line for the Candlelight Processional is handled differently (but I'm not sure). Mostly, Disney fills up those seats every night with folks who've ponied up the extra $$ to guarantee a seat via the dining package. So, since the sand-by line is basically to fill in the extra, remaining seating once the guaranteed seats are taken. The number in line ahead of each party does indeed matter in this case.

Here's an older DIS thread (short) which shows the variability of results with the standby line.

Still glad I don't go to Disney. 2 hour waits for a character greet or a ride!?!??! :svengo:

Again, I have been to Disney at very busy times (4th of July week). I've NEVER waited 2 hours for anything, even popular rides or venues. 45 minutes tops, with entertainment as you wait. If you plan your day, you won't wait. Disney is magical for many, if it isn't for you, fine, but please don't think 2 hour waits are typical. I thought we'd go once to give the kids something special, as I didn't think I'd go for the "magic". I LOVE it, and insist we go every couple of years.

Candlelight Processional is a bit different - because the cast members actually walk down and count heads and let a certain number of people through - sao they'd have to be there for that.

Lines - depends on the ages of the kids. No one is going to begrudge you letting a toddler play outside the line, that's for sure. Over the age of 5??? Maybe. I mean - if they have to go to the bathroom - no one would expect the poor kid to hold it! Older kids, yeah - they need to wait with the rest of us :)

Personally, I have no problem with it at all. Some people get huffy about it, but they are usually people who have never had kids....

Just wanted to add:

To avoid lines is pretty easy. I mean - expect 30 minutes here or there, but not 2 hours!!!

Get the Unofficial Guide to Disney World and regster on their website. There are tour plans in the back of their books THAT WORK. They really do. If you are going in the off season -it isn't that important....

Always, and I mean always, get to the park 45 minutes before they open and hit the most popular rides right away. You'll avoid 85% of the lines just by doing that.

Always, and I mean always, get to the park 45 minutes before they open and hit the most popular rides right away. You'll avoid 85% of the lines just by doing that.

So true. I love being back to my room by lunch, eating, and then hitting the pool before it gets crowded!