Menu

Which edition of high school Conceptual Physics? Hewitt or Pearson?

I want to go ahead and purchase a copy of CP now. I'm tentitively planning for my dd to use this for 9th grade physics.

There are two different publishers for CP books at Amazon. I called Pearson hoping the rep could tell me the difference between Hewitt's CP and the Pearson version also by Hewitt. She could not answer my question.

Does it matter which version I choose? It would be a bonus if I could buy used and save some money. Would I need the TE? I recall some of you mentioned the TE can be very expensive.

Could TOPS experiments be used easily with either edition? Lori D., You have the Hewitt book published in 2002; and Cynthia OK, you used the 3rd edition based on a recent post where I asked about CP. Others in that post mentioned other editions, yet it was not clear which books were being referenced.

I think the 2002 copyright is the 3rd edition. Seems like this might be the one I need. Should I consider the one from Pearson? I definitely want the CP written for high school.

Help anyone...

I really have no idea about the question you are asking. (So, why are you responding, woman?!) ;-D I just wanted to say that I had originally intended to use Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, but I ended up signing my son up for the physics course with Derek Owens. I couldn't be happier. DS is learning at his own pace (which is sometimes fast, sometimes SLOW) and doing a great job so far. The instructor doesn't seem daunted by my smart-alek-y son's goofy comments on his homeworks/tests, and has actually responded to them in a humorous way (far cry from the beleaguered public school teachers who took immature boy humor as an immediate sign of disrespect.) Mr. Owens does the grading and is available to answer questions. The physics course is essentially a conceptual physics course with labs; prereq is algebra I. DS has recently spent some time with trig concepts on Khan Academy bc there is apparently some trig in the course; I think there is a sufficient amount of instruction in the course for what is required, but he wants to earn badges and whatnot on KA!! Just wanted to throw another option out there.

My ds is using Conceptual Physics right now. We are using text 0-201-33288-4 and I have the TE 0-13-166302-X. The text is Addison Wessley @1999 and the TE is Prentice Hall @2006. So far they match up perfectly with the exception of a few pictures and the numbering (but not the order) of the exercises.

I like having the answers in the TE to help me.

(I just checked our text on Amazon and they have that isbn listed as a teachers edition...weird!. )

When I was researching CP, I found that CP has changed publishers many times but the content doesn't change much. It seems even the 3rd edition has been published many times. I went to publishers websites to find isbns. Here's what I came up with.

2001/2002 edition:

text 978-013-054-2540

TE 978-013-054-2564

practice book 978-013-054-2595

Pract book TE 978-013-054-2601

2005/2006 edition:

text 97-013-166-3015

TE 978-013-166-3022

Practice book 978-013-054-2595

Prac book TE 978-013-054-2601

2007/2008/2009 edition:

text 978-013-364-7495

TE 978-013-364-7501

practice book 978-013-364-7303

pract book te 978-013-364-7518

Keep in mind that the high school editions, those listed above, don't have any answers in them. You need to get the TE and the practice book TE for answers. On the other hand, if you get the college level Conceptual Physics there are answers to all the odd problems from the text in the Practicing Physics book as well as answers to the Practicing Physics exercises. My dd is using the college edition text 0-321-05202-1 and the Practicing Physics book 0-321-05153-X.

The college level books are less cartoonish than the high school and covers just a bit more material.

Hope that helps.

My ds is using Conceptual Physics right now. We are using text 0-201-33288-4 and I have the TE 0-13-166302-X. The text is Addison Wessley @1999 and the TE is Prentice Hall @2006. So far they match up perfectly with the exception of a few pictures and the numbering (but not the order) of the exercises.

When I was researching CP, I found that CP has changed publishers many times but the content doesn't change much.

I have one from 2007 (Pearson) and one from 1980's...there is still hardly any difference...

As she says above..sometimes not the same order of questions. Occasionally a few new questions.

The biggest difference is that the newer version has colored pictures and some more diagrams.

So if you are on a very tight budget... See which one you can get a cheap TE for first...

Joan

(I just checked our text on Amazon and they have that isbn listed as a teachers edition...weird!. )

Keep in mind that the high school editions, those listed above, don't have any answers in them. You need to get the TE and the practice book TE for answers. On the other hand, if you get the college level Conceptual Physics there are answers to all the odd problems from the text in the Practicing Physics book as well as answers to the Practicing Physics exercises. My dd is using the college edition text 0-321-05202-1 and the Practicing Physics book 0-321-05153-X.

The college level books are less cartoonish than the high school and covers just a bit more material.

Hope that helps.

Karen, I haven't thought to ask, but could you give me an example of the kind of problems in CP? It isn't a math based curriculum, so I don't quite know what to expect.

I may be mistaken but it appears to me that Pearson, Addison-Wesley, and Prentice Hall are all affiliated publishers. If you go to the link on Amazon of the book I purchased, it is published by Pearson Prentice Hall; if you go to Addison-Wesley's site you see that Pearson is an affiliate of AW. It all looks like the same family of publishers to me. Based on that, I think you can use any of the Hewitt CP texts. But you might be best to try to get the same edition of student text and teacher manual. I chose the 3rd edition (2002) because they were readily available and I could find a lot of TE to match (I was teaching a co-op with about 30 students).

I cannot answer about the TOPs because I've never used them. I used Hewitt's lab manual for those labs that could be done without specialized equipment or I modified them to work. I also used Google to find experiments to fit the readings. I simply Googled the topic and added the words "lab" and sometimes "kids". That allowed me to get experiments that were more easily performed with everyday items.

Again, if you are using the high school version, it probably won't matter which edition or publisher you use. They will all be very similar.

I may be mistaken but it appears to me that Pearson, Addison-Wesley, and Prentice Hall are all affiliated publishers. If you go to the link on Amazon of the book I purchased, it is published by Pearson Prentice Hall; if you go to Addison-Wesley's site you see that Pearson is an affiliate of AW. It all looks like the same family of publishers to me. Based on that, I think you can use any of the Hewitt CP texts. But you might be best to try to get the same edition of student text and teacher manual. I chose the 3rd edition (2002) because they were readily available and I could find a lot of TE to match (I was teaching a co-op with about 30 students).

I cannot answer about the TOPs because I've never used them. I used Hewitt's lab manual for those labs that could be done without specialized equipment or I modified them to work. I also used Google to find experiments to fit the readings. I simply Googled the topic and added the words "lab" and sometimes "kids". That allowed me to get experiments that were more easily performed with everyday items.

Again, if you are using the high school version, it probably won't matter which edition or publisher you use. They will all be very similar.

Thank you, Cynthia! Could you give me an idea of the problems in the CP book? Since it is not a math-based text, I don't know what kinds of problems are included.

:001_smile:

But you might be best to try to get the same edition of student text and teacher manual.

I agree esp if you don't have time to figure out each time which problems are missing and therefore changing the answers listed...

eg. if the student text is 1,2,3,4,5,

and the TE has covered 1,2, then skipped what was 3 and moved 4 up into the 3 slot, then you wouldn't know it unless you figured out from comparing the problems which if I remember correctly were in a separate place. (ie not in the answer part of the TE)...

J.

It is math based, but it isn't calculus based physics. The student should have a good grasp of algebra 1. Some of my better math students took this course and algebra 1 concurrently, others took it after taking algebra 1. The student should be able to find an unknown i.e., in a 3 variable equation, find 1 unknown if the other 2 are given. There are a couple of trig questions, but we didn't worry too much about those - just told them how to do it and moved on (rather than working through the math derivations). The student should be familiar with the Pythagorean theorem.

I really have no idea about the question you are asking. (So, why are you responding, woman?!) ;-D I just wanted to say that I had originally intended to use Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, but I ended up signing my son up for the physics course with Derek Owens. I couldn't be happier. DS is learning at his own pace (which is sometimes fast, sometimes SLOW) and doing a great job so far. The instructor doesn't seem daunted by my smart-alek-y son's goofy comments on his homeworks/tests, and has actually responded to them in a humorous way (far cry from the beleaguered public school teachers who took immature boy humor as an immediate sign of disrespect.) Mr. Owens does the grading and is available to answer questions. The physics course is essentially a conceptual physics course with labs; prereq is algebra I. DS has recently spent some time with trig concepts on Khan Academy bc there is apparently some trig in the course; I think there is a sufficient amount of instruction in the course for what is required, but he wants to earn badges and whatnot on KA!! Just wanted to throw another option out there.

We are not using Derek Owens for physics right now, but I just wanted to say that I am *really* impressed with the courses of his that we are using.

We are not using Derek Owens for physics right now, but I just wanted to say that I am *really* impressed with the courses of his that we are using.

Kai,

My dd's primary complaint about studying physics this year (in physical science with CPO) is that she can't discuss the concepts with anyone. She is also having trouble testing well which is why I'm interested in CP.

What about the Derek Owens class? Is there discussion at all? I've read several posts that say favorable things about his classes. I have to be choosy about outsourcing since it is so expensive.

Dh can help dd because he is a mechanical engineer, but she would like to have interaction and discussion during the home school day... not just on weekends when there is more time with him.

Karen, I haven't thought to ask, but could you give me an example of the kind of problems in CP? It isn't a math based curriculum, so I don't quite know what to expect.

Sure. At the end of each chapter are review questions, critical thinking questions, and, usually but not always, 'plug & chug' and 'think and solve'.

The review questions come right out of the reading almost verbatim. The Think & Explain questions use the information you learned but makes you think and apply it a bit more. There is no math involved in these two types of questions. Plug & Chug and Think & Solve are generally algebra equations to solve using formulas given in the chapter.

Depending upon where your son is in algebra when he's doing CP, you could just use the first two types of questions. There are usually 20-30 of these. The algebra questions aren't really hard, but they do use units of measurement a lot with cancellation and may be very confusing for someone just learning algebra.

So, if you want to use this book in a strictly conceptual way, you can. There are enough questions for you to do so.

Sure. At the end of each chapter are review questions, critical thinking questions, and, usually but not always, 'plug & chug' and 'think and solve'.

The review questions come right out of the reading almost verbatim. The Think & Explain questions use the information you learned but makes you think and apply it a bit more. There is no math involved in these two types of questions. Plug & Chug and Think & Solve are generally algebra equations to solve using formulas given in the chapter.

Depending upon where your son is in algebra when he's doing CP, you could just use the first two types of questions. There are usually 20-30 of these. The algebra questions aren't really hard, but they do use units of measurement a lot with cancellation and may be very confusing for someone just learning algebra.

So, if you want to use this book in a strictly conceptual way, you can. There are enough questions for you to do so.

This really helps, Karen. Thank you!

Kai,

My dd's primary complaint about studying physics this year (in physical science with CPO) is that she can't discuss the concepts with anyone. She is also having trouble testing well which is why I'm interested in CP.

What about the Derek Owens class? Is there discussion at all? I've read several posts that say favorable things about his classes. I have to be choosy about outsourcing since it is so expensive.

Dh can help dd because he is a mechanical engineer, but she would like to have interaction and discussion during the home school day... not just on weekends when there is more time with him.

You can email him with questions, and he answers emails very quickly, but there isn't discussion like you would get in a classroom or with an actual tutor. You can get a good idea about what his classes are like at his website. He has extensive samples.

http://www.gpb.org/chemistry-physics/students/physics

I'm just now writing our "syllabus" for a semester of electricity starting in Jan. I'm pairing the relevant CP chapters with these videos.

The teacher's materials are free if you buy one 30$ set of video and email them your receipt.

I'm excited to try the videos because the students take notes from the video lectures and can do the lab of take the lab data from the video.

We'll see how it goes.

http://www.gpb.org/chemistry-physics/students/physics

I'm just now writing our "syllabus" for a semester of electricity starting in Jan. I'm pairing the relevant CP chapters with these videos.

The teacher's materials are free if you buy one 30$ set of video and email them your receipt.

I'm excited to try the videos because the students take notes from the video lectures and can do the lab of take the lab data from the video.

We'll see how it goes.

This sounds like a good idea. Thank you very much for sharing! I like these videos too.