Menu

I am getting new glasses today..how did you get used to your progressives?

I have progressives. The first two progressive scrips for me were really not that far apart on top and bottom, so it was very easy to get used to them. The 3rd time I had them, tho, the difference was more noticeable.

I didn't do anything special to get used to them, just used them. I do have to be more aware of my head position when I'm laying down to watch TV--I'd naturally be looking out of the bottom of the lens then, but have to tilt my head more downward to look out of the top.

The eye doc and the woman at the eyeglass counter at Costco warned me I might have trouble adjusting to my progressive lenses, but it wasn't a problem for me. I put them on and I could see clear across Costco *and* read the paperwork in front of me. :) Within five minutes, I was completely comfortable. I think it was easy because my former prescription really hadn't been meeting my needs for either close-up or distance vision.

Cat

The eye doc and the woman at the eyeglass counter at Costco warned me I might have trouble adjusting to my progressive lenses, but it wasn't a problem for me. I put them on and I could see clear across Costco *and* read the paperwork in front of me. :) Within five minutes, I was completely comfortable. I think it was easy because my former prescription really hadn't been meeting my needs for either close-up or distance vision.

Cat

This was true for me as well. I was warned that the new progressives might cause me to be unsteady and I needed to gradually increase my wearing time each day. I didn't get sick though until I went backto my old glasses. Driving the first time in the progressives was a bit of a challenge but I adjusted before I arrived home.

I HATED the progressive lenses-- it took me MONTHS to get used to them...

DH remembers tears and LOTS of frustration... my 'old' pair of glasses had broken-- so I could not go back to them and I was blind without!

Eventually the complaining died down... I've had progressives now for over 10 years... it takes me only a few hours (or perhaps a day or 2) to get used to a new pair... no big deal--but the first time-- YUCK!

I don't mind progressives at all-- I'm a happy camper.

I just got progressives and am still trying to get adjusted. What is hard is I don't know what should be blurry and what shouldn't should it be blurry if I look down? How about when I look out my side mirror on the car? If I go to look at the mileage in the car, it is blurry. I already had them adjusted because they were blurry when I looked straight ahead. Right now, I hate them and have only had them 7 days. I am trying to get used to it but it also seems to be blurry when I am in darker places and I trip.

I have migraines that are triggered by changes in how my eyes/brain perceive things. I was told to either put them on first thing in the morning, or after a nap. Not to change mid-day. I did it right the 2nd time, no problem (even though that was the change from bi-focal progressives to tri-focal progressives). The first time - not so much!