Menu

Which subjects do you plan pace and which do you plan time?

spaceman

ds7 - WWE, FLL, ASS, TT are all buy unit not necessarily by time (although the time is very predictable). SOTW, Geography, reading time, Science, Art, Miquon, etc. are all in blocks of time (or we might just do them forever :)

ds 5 - OPGTR is by lesson/unit. Miquon, SOTW, GEO, Art etc. are all by block of time.

My homeschooling kids are 7 & 6.

We do Sonlight (history, read-alouds), French, science, and art by lesson. I usually have an overall plan for how we work through a particular curriculum within the span of a single school year.

We do math, language arts, and reading by blocks of time. Comprehension is the highest goal in these areas, so we slow down or speed up as necessary. When we finish a level, we just move right along to the next level.

Time only: spelling, reading, history

Time and pace (I suggest a maximum time but do encourage a certain pace): math, science, LA/writing

Pace only: Bible

My kids are 9th & 7th grades. Part of my choice is due to their age and part is due to the curricula we are using. Some lend to time and some lend to pace.

Merry :-)

7 year old: Because of curriculum choices, I think the only subject I really have to adjust pace on right now is math. I open it up, look at what the material is for that lesson, and decide how much we need to do. We might do the whole section, or we might spread it out over 2 days, or we might skip it entirely and move to the next section. :tongue_smilie: I can't ever predict our pace in math. Today, I thought for sure we'd be spreading the section out over 2 days (long division), but he finished the first page, then turned it over and started working on the next page without me even telling him too. I think we'll spend two days on the next section (more long division practice), but who knows what he'll do when we actually start working tomorrow. ;) All of the other subjects, I pretty much go lesson by lesson or have a prescribed pace set (for example, SOTW is 1 section per day, 3 days a week... WWE and spelling are by week, FLL is 3 lessons per week, etc.).

5 year old: Since it's technically K4 this year, we go by whatever pace we feel like that day, and he doesn't school everyday. I try to do one page of math per day, but sometimes he'll want to do 2 or 3. And some days we skip it altogether. I don't think we've done any math this week. We've read some I See Sam books and done some read-alouds.

For my first grader I plan out what we're doing day by day (breaking down SOTW readings, science, mapping out which lesson in WWE and FLL, etc). And then we work through it that day and it takes the time it takes. If he's tired we take a break. If we've done "enough" for the day, I move things around. We're pretty flexible.