Menu

Question for piano teachers or those whose kids study classical or jazz piano

Do any of you know of good software, ideally free, but I'll also take suggestions for software that costs money, that is useful for helping to learn music that can be used alongside regular piano lessons. By regular piano lessons, I should say that I include teaching improv & am going to do some work with students who like to compose, etc. I'm not interested in software designed to teach piano lessons, since I think that nothing out there can truly duplicate having a live teacher who can see and hear what you're doing wrong in a way that software never can, especially in the earlier years.

My most urgent need at the moment is software to help students learn to read music, but I'm interested in a lot more than that.

My sons' new piano teacher uses the website musiclearningcommunity.com. She assigns games each week for them to play before the next lesson. They both love it, one of them does a ton of other games too. There have been a few minor issues with it not recording that they did a game, but the teacher sent them an email and they fixed it right away. The graphics may seem childish to an older kid so it also may depend on the ages of your students. I have no idea of the cost to her, but she makes accounts for each student and it is free to them (well, included in the price of tuition, but not an extra fee).

ETA: This is for theory type stuff, but really nice because there is listening also, recognizing chords and stuff.

My dd uses a computer program for theory at her teacher's studio but I'm not sure what it is. We'll be going tomorrow so I'll ask. :)

Thanks!

My sons' new piano teacher uses the website musiclearningcommunity.com. She assigns games each week for them to play before the next lesson. They both love it, one of them does a ton of other games too. There have been a few minor issues with it not recording that they did a game, but the teacher sent them an email and they fixed it right away. The graphics may seem childish to an older kid so it also may depend on the ages of your students. I have no idea of the cost to her, but she makes accounts for each student and it is free to them (well, included in the price of tuition, but not an extra fee).

ETA: This is for theory type stuff, but really nice because there is listening also, recognizing chords and stuff.

I may try the free trial. It's only about $20 per month for a teacher to subscribe for up to 50 students, but more than I can spend right now as I only have a few students at the moment. However, there is a family subscription. Once I get more students I may well do this.

I don't have any software, but I have several apps that I bought a while ago.

I haven't looked for new apps for a while, here are the 3 apps that I have and what I like and don't like about them:

Virtuoso:

Free! Not very educational, mainly for fun, but great for the price. It is fun to play around with.

Note Trainer:

Not great for a beginning student, it might be a good review for an older student or good for someone who has previously played an instrument and needs to improve their note reading speed on the clef they did not learn on. (For example, I played trumpet for years before playing piano, so I would just need the bass clef portion.)

DoReMemory:

I like that you produce the note yourself by touching the screen. It is also not great for a total beginner, but better than note trainer.

I probably need to search through the apps again, hopefully they have come out with some better things by now, I last looked 8 to 12 months ago.

I haven't looked for new apps for a while, here are the 3 apps that I have and what I like and don't like about them:

I probably need to search through the apps again, hopefully they have come out with some better things by now, I last looked 8 to 12 months ago.

Thanks, I'll take a look at these.

Okay, saw the teacher today. She said she uses Alfred Theory Music Ace online at Harmonic Vision.

HTH! :)

Excellent. This is the second recommendation I've had for this. I don't teach with Alfred's (used to, but have found better methods for beginners), but I can always use this with something else.

Note Trainer:

Not great for a beginning student, it might be a good review for an older student or good for someone who has previously played an instrument and needs to improve their note reading speed on the clef they did not learn on. (For example, I played trumpet for years before playing piano, so I would just need the bass clef portion.)

Which Note Trainer is this? Is it the Apple one?