Menu

Games for practicing Spanish conversation?

Thanks for sharing!

Our teacher recently did Twister with my twins.

I was also going to suggest a "treasure hunt" where you literally walk the person through in Spanish - "Walk ten steps forward, turn left, walk 3 steps, turn right and enter the dining room, etc." Making it up as they go, ending with sitting down?, picking up a Post-it without moving your feet?, something like that.

Charades might be good - you could act out gerunds (swimming, biking, running, etc.), emotions (scared, angry, happy), occupations (doctor, dentist, baker, police officer, etc. - these might be easier if you allow talking)

:bigear:

Thanks for sharing!

Our teacher recently did Twister with my twins.

I was also going to suggest a "treasure hunt" where you literally walk the person through in Spanish - "Walk ten steps forward, turn left, walk 3 steps, turn right and enter the dining room, etc." Making it up as they go, ending with sitting down?, picking up a Post-it without moving your feet?, something like that.

Charades might be good - you could act out gerunds (swimming, biking, running, etc.), emotions (scared, angry, happy), occupations (doctor, dentist, baker, police officer, etc. - these might be easier if you allow talking)

:bigear:

These are great ideas. I love the Twister suggestion. Thank you!

I think if you can find Spanish magazines you could get one of those and just let them have conversation about it. Since you have girls maybe a fashion magazine, but travel would be good, too.

Really anything to get a group conversation going would work: movies, books, etc.

Although some depends on their level of vocab.

I am currently doing a co-op where we meet once a week to practice the vocab and grammar concepts they learned that week. We play games, and try to keep it all in Spanish. So far we have played: BINGO, Go Fish(you can play this with anything, I had color flashcards so we used those, took the face cards out of a deck of cards and had 1-10, made family member cards to play with, etc), Pictionary, Twister, Memory (I printed 2 sets of cards on card stock,) Any card game played in Spanish (conversations in cards can be kept to your level). When I taught Spanish in school, we used Guess Who, relay races (pile up clothes, call out an item, they have to find it and "put it on". I have Scattegories in Spanish, Boggle, Bananagrams, scrabble, Uno, Word on the Street. Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
My kids Spanish teacher has the kids come up with a story in Spanish. My son (first year) is able to use a few English words when needed. The story is than practiced and written (sometimes adding pictures instead of those English words). Both kids find it great fun.

:iagree:

My dd is Skyping with another girl to practice their German and they just had a great time making up a story together. One would start with the first sentence, the other would write the next sentence, etc. It worked very well.

One activity I did when I taught Spanish was a shopping trip. Each student had a "store". They wrote a list of clothing items they had for sale. It had to be fairly specific like a red turtleneck or a blue short sleeved shirt. I think I required at least twenty items on their list, but they could have more. I had my own shopping list. I would say I needed an item. I might say something like, "I am going to a birthday party tonight and I want a new shirt and bluejeans. My favorite color is green. Does anyone have a green shirt for sale? (all in Spanish, of course)" I would then ask more specific questions of the student relating to style, cost, etc. If they had what I wanted on their list, I would buy it from them with candy.

:lurk5:

This has been a very helpful thread for me. Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to answer.

Since Cathmom was kind enough to bump it, I'll add something fun we did this past week. We played Simon Says with the body parts in Spanish. It worked out really well.

I had been bringing my 6yod along with my older girls, but I wasn't expecting her to participate. Just didn't want to leave her home to be babysat by my sons. This last time I absolutely could not believe how much she has picked up. I'm going to start bringing 8yos along too.