Menu

HOD Questions

Homeschooling6

I am on page 28 of the majorly long thread of 27 Reasons Not to Buy HOD. So, who is using it?

I do have a few questions.

I'm looking at this for next school year. As much as I don't want to use two guides, it looks like that's what I'll be doing (if I go this route):tongue_smilie:. Annette, Caleb and Brent in Ctc and Ethan and Lance in Bigger.

Two guides seem overwhelming to me (I know some use 2 or 3 guides).

Here are my concerns;

I'll have two history periods going at once as well as Bible. I'm not sure if I can manage that. Especially with my two middle boys who are not strong readers.

I don't know if I'm ready to drop WWE just yet but I can't imagine continuing with it. HOD looks pretty full.

I also don't want to drop AAS with the four younger ones.

I still have to fit in phonics for Lance.

Basically I'm still teaching a lot of subjects math with 3 dc, Shurley English, WWE 1,2&3, PAL/Writing, AAR (when I get it), AAS, Latin, and WP Reading. This is not including a few things with the two older dc. Would I be able to leave most of this behind? Maybe just keep AAR, AAS and Latin.

I guess what makes it so hard is my two middle boys. CtC is suppose to be more independent but with Caleb and Brent I'm not sure.

I would love to hear how those of you using it juggle more than one guide, are you using HOD as is (meaning not adding WWE, AAS etc. to it) and do any of you have stuggling readers using CtC? If you do add to HOD are you dropping some of what HOD schedules.

With all that said about how hard it looks to juggle the guides, at the sametime it also looks so simple. The way narration, copywork, poetry, dictation and so forth are scheduled.

Any long time HOD users who care to comment on the writing portion? For those who have used both WWE and HOD can you compare? :D

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Linda<><

I've used up to 3 guides at once and it was fine. I tried combining my oldest two b/c I thought one was ready to move up and with moving, majorly out of whack/chaotic life times, it seemed best...but it is taking way longer than doing them separately. I use HOD's rec's for LA b/c they are quick and painless and effective.

I've used AAS and Shurley, and find the HOD methods and programs actually do a way better job in the long run than those. I'm seeing FRUIT from HOD that I"ve never seen with any other program. We've used it for 3 years now, and I've used some or all of the programs from LHTH up to PHFHG between my 3 oldest.

I'll have a 2yo, 5yo, 2nd grader, 5th grader...so that means we'll be doing 2yo chaos, preschool/kindy stuff (past LHTH but not ready for LHFHG), BHFHG half speed with full speed basics (R&S2, cursive, singapore 2B, spelling list 2, emerging readers, ......), and PHFHG with extensions (R&S 4, Singapore 4, Igniting Your Writing, Dictation level 4, DITHOR 4/5....).

We've always been done around lunch time and aren't super on task, have plenty of distractions, etc.

HOD just works...and having all the plans right there in one book is wonderful. The fact that there's no prep work, no letter tiles to pull out, quick but effective lessons, etc. It's just fantastic and easy to implement with combining or separating. In our case, it's easier to have them all in their own levels and takes much less time doing so. Not only that, but my kids LOVE school.

I do add in some language on occasion...at least roots, but want to do latin at the least using SSL and ispeaklatin. I use all HOD's recs except I've switched to the Standards edition of singapore math b/c I needed more guidance in how to teach it, though I did find the activities for 1A-2B to be fantastic. I personally needed more and the HIG's for the US edition aren't as user friendly as those for the Stds ed.

It took me a bit to drop my spelling program (I was using AAS as well as another I don't recall)...I can tell you that we never saw such cross over with spelling skills as we do now with dictation as planned by HOD. R&S grammar has impressed me...we do almost all orally so it is super quick. But, I am in awe of my oldest's ability to easily answer all the oral review questions each lesson. It's very effective and nearly effortless on my part! Takes about 10-15m.

Must run...I've been interrupted so many times already I'm probably not even making sense...LOL

The best thing about homeschooling is you get to make choices that work for your children and your family.

I am on page 28 of the majorly long thread of 27 Reasons Not to Buy HOD. So, who is using it?

We are using PHFHG this year and used BHFHG last year.

I'm looking at this for next school year. As much as I don't want to use two guides, it looks like that's what I'll be doing (if I go this route):tongue_smilie:. Annette, Caleb and Brent in Ctc and Ethan and Lance in Bigger.

Two guides seem overwhelming to me (I know some use 2 or 3 guides). CtC is fairly independent.

Here are my concerns;

I'll have two history periods going at once as well as Bible. I'm not sure if I can manage that. Especially with my two middle boys who are not strong readers. Just use one guide/time period. This is especially easy if you only use the history, science, and Bible portions for everyone and add in grade-level language arts, math, and Latin.

I don't know if I'm ready to drop WWE just yet but I can't imagine continuing with it. HOD looks pretty full. IMO, HOD does something similar to WWE in their guides. Last year in BHFHG, my dd was doing oral narrations. This year, she is doing oral narrations and learning how to do written narrations. The written narration skill is built on CtC. So, you won't have to drop WWE; just use the HOD reading for the WWE skill your dc is working on (this is what we have done for a year and a half now).

I also don't want to drop AAS with the four younger ones. Use AAS instead of the HOD spelling lists/dictations.

I still have to fit in phonics for Lance. Easily done. Just add do phonics with Lance while the olders are working on something else.

Basically I'm still teaching a lot of subjects math with 3 dc, Shurley English, WWE 1,2&3, PAL/Writing, AAR (when I get it), AAS, Latin, and WP Reading. This is not including a few things with the two older dc. Would I be able to leave most of this behind? Maybe just keep AAR, AAS and Latin. If you did "on-level" guides for each child, you could drop it all except Latin.

I guess what makes it so hard is my two middle boys. CtC is suppose to be more independent but with Caleb and Brent I'm not sure. Could Annette help them by reading the history and science out loud?

I would love to hear how those of you using it juggle more than one guide, are you using HOD as is (meaning not adding WWE, AAS etc. to it) and do any of you have stuggling readers using CtC? If you do add to HOD are you dropping some of what HOD schedules. We have used last year or are using this year HOD Bible, history, poetry, and spelling dictation. I also use Singapore math, but not at the level the guides schedule it. I add Latin. I use Apologia for science and FLL for grammar. I use HOD reading for WWE using the hardback text for grades 1-4.

With all that said about how hard it looks to juggle the guides, at the sametime it also looks so simple. The way narration, copywork, poetry, dictation and so forth are scheduled.

Any long time HOD users who care to comment on the writing portion? For those who have used both WWE and HOD can you compare? :D

Thanks,

Linda<><

On a side note, we used BHFHG last year with a co-op of K-5th graders and it worked out well. We are also using PHFHG with 3-8 grade and are on week 14.

Linda,

I can't answer all of your questions :001_smile:. I just offer some food for thought. In theory HOD is perfect for me. At this time we are dropping it because I hate having my kids separated for content. All of the boxes overwhelm me. I personally don't prefer having my head in so many different content subjects. I think a grid style schedule with flex and "do the next thing" kinds of assignments/readings works much better for us. HOD is HIGHLY structured. You don't strike me as a highly structured Mom or family based on what you've shared in the past here and on your blog.:001_smile: How do you see your family and homeschool? Are you structured or do you need more flexibility in the daily and weekly plans?

I regret dropping WWE. I won't drop it again. :001_smile: I would also NOT drop AAS if it is working for your kids. Some kids need the explicit instruction. If it's not working then considering another alternative makes sense. I just don't like the idea of dropping what you love and what is working in favor of an experiment. I speak from experience here...:001_smile: The studied dictation is GREAT but for some kids it's only part of the spelling puzzle. It works fabulously for one of my boys. The other one needs AAS right now. What do your kids NEED? What is working and not working for them in the spelling realm? HOD does cover WWE skills in a lovely, integrated fashion. Their approach differs though. HOD favors studied dictation and doesn't focus on summaries in the early grades. WWE favors unstudied dictation and begins summary work very early on. Personally I don't know that the approach matters as much as being consistent with whatever methodology you are using. Going into HOD I felt confident that my children would develop excellent writing skills if they stayed with HOD all the way through. Carrie does cover all the skills and focuses in on a strong foundation in oral narration skills before hitting the written narrations. That's a huge strong point in HOD for me. Anyway, just think it through. If you use HOD and it flops then where will you go with writing? Just have that squared away in your mind first.

The spine used in CTC is quite challenging comprehension wise. It's not "easy" reading... I *think* (please don't quote me because I'm not going to double check this at the moment) that it was written at the turn of the century. Personally, I love these books BUT I realize that not every 9-11yo is going to be ready to tackle them completely independently. The language and writing style is different than what we are used to. It requires a persistent, able reader. If your boys struggle with reading I would not want to use the Guerber spine with them and expect them to handle it independently. Are you prepared to read it aloud if necessary? Are you prepared to persevere with it if it's hard for them to understand? They might be just fine with it. But the weekly plans hinge on history so you need to be sure about it.

The independence scheduled in CTC only works if your child is ready for it and can handle it. Some kids fly with that. Others need a lot more hand holding and Mom involvement. I've been reading up on CTC both here and on the Yahoo group. I don't know this from personal experience.:001_smile: I just say to consider your children's abilities carefully. How independent are they? Can they read a challenging history spine independently and then give a thorough narration to you? How well can they follow detailed written instructions?

All that aside, I do think HOD is beautiful. I want it to work here. :D But, we are on the cusp of moving on... I still highly recommend it and it will always remain a top choice here. I plan to use it with my youngest as he's too far removed from the group to combine. And, I can pace it and tweak it perfectly for him. By then I'll be a pro, right?! :001_smile: It gives me a reason to hold on to those beautiful, beautiful guides.

Edited by abrightmom

I cannot comment on the CtoC guide since we are not there yet. But my dd7 (second grade) is using Bigger.

I add in Spanish twice a week, logic once a week, phonics three times a week, supplemental math every day, Apologia science twice a week, my own American artist and folk music study, and Evan-Moor Daily Geography.

Instead of using HOD's math and LA recs, we use WWE/FLL and BJU English (just the grammar portion), Spelling Plus and Dictation for Spelling, Math in Focus and Horizons (just the worksheets). We do not do DITHOR.

With the add-ins and swapping out the recs, my dd is done with all of her work in 2.5 to 3 hours depending on which day it is. Without the addins, we would be done in 2 hours easily. I only do the addins because dd likes those things. They are not necessary (except the phonics).

HTH...at least with the time to do Bigger.

hopeallgoeswell,

Are you using HOD to multi teach and foregoing the recommended ages/grades? Are you dropping the HOD science in favor of Apologia? Do you ignore the I boxes then and read aloud to your group? How does it flesh out? I'm VERY curious. :001_smile:

:bigear: I'm interested as well. I didn't think this would be possible.

I actually like structure. In fact my first three years of homeschooling I used SL cores K-2. I followed the schedule (minus the LA) and liked how everything was planned out. I used MFW Adv. and again loved checking off those boxes. The year after I even combined MFW ECC and WP CAtW but for the past three years I haven't been able to juggle all the books and box checking. I had one child after another entering Homeschooling6 (my dc are all 12-18 months apart) and teaching phonics with so many kids overwhelmed me and I could no longer keep up with the more literature approach to homeschooling.

Anyway, I think I may be at that point where I'm ready for it. Josh, is schooling on his own and he loves it that way ;).

Annette, is very independent. Her favorite subject is grammar :001_huh:. She does well on her own.

It's the younger four boys that I'm strugging with. Maybe HOD will get us all back together. I don't mind reading the main text if I have too but that's where I think it may be too hard for me to do two guides. Reading two differen history periods.

I'm praying that this year Caleb and Brent will get reading. Hopefully AAS will help:tongue_smilie:.

As far as a back up plan for writing. I have some ideas. One is, and correct me if I'm wrong. HOD and WWE are similar in some ways, so if HOD writing doesn't work out can I jump right back into WWE or WWS? Another would continue with something like Write with the Best.

I'm still trying to figure out how it would work with Annette, she is supose to use BJ DVDs next year but I may have her only use the math, grammar and literature and use HOD for the rest:w00t:.

I'm going to reread what you all wrote.

The best thing about homeschooling is you get to make choices that work for your children and your family.

I'll have two history periods going at once as well as Bible. I'm not sure if I can manage that. Especially with my two middle boys who are not strong readers. Just use one guide/time period. This is especially easy if you only use the history, science, and Bible portions for everyone and add in grade-level language arts, math, and Latin.

I don't know if I'm ready to drop WWE just yet but I can't imagine continuing with it. HOD looks pretty full. IMO, HOD does something similar to WWE in their guides. Last year in BHFHG, my dd was doing oral narrations. This year, she is doing oral narrations and learning how to do written narrations. The written narration skill is built on CtC. So, you won't have to drop WWE; just use the HOD reading for the WWE skill your dc is working on (this is what we have done for a year and a half now).

I also don't want to drop AAS with the four younger ones. Use AAS instead of the HOD spelling lists/dictations.

I still have to fit in phonics for Lance. Easily done. Just add do phonics with Lance while the olders are working on something else.

Basically I'm still teaching a lot of subjects math with 3 dc, Shurley English, WWE 1,2&3, PAL/Writing, AAR (when I get it), AAS, Latin, and WP Reading. This is not including a few things with the two older dc. Would I be able to leave most of this behind? Maybe just keep AAR, AAS and Latin. If you did "on-level" guides for each child, you could drop it all except Latin.

I guess what makes it so hard is my two middle boys. CtC is suppose to be more independent but with Caleb and Brent I'm not sure. Could Annette help them by reading the history and science out loud?

I would love to hear how those of you using it juggle more than one guide, are you using HOD as is (meaning not adding WWE, AAS etc. to it) and do any of you have stuggling readers using CtC? If you do add to HOD are you dropping some of what HOD schedules. We have used last year or are using this year HOD Bible, history, poetry, and spelling dictation. I also use Singapore math, but not at the level the guides schedule it. I add Latin. I use Apologia for science and FLL for grammar. I use HOD reading for WWE using the hardback text for grades 1-4

On a side note, we used BHFHG last year with a co-op of K-5th graders and it worked out well. We are also using PHFHG with 3-8 grade and are on week 14.

I'm chewing on this;) So, you are not using HOD for science and writing, is that correct? You are using HOD history for WWE writing assignments. Can you give me an example how you do this? Using HOD history for WWE sounds easy and makes sense but I need that hand holding:glare:.

If I do HOD on "on-level" I can basically not do WWE and stick with HOD narration and dictation.

Blessings,

Linda<><

I will try to answer a couple of your questions. I'm doing 3 guides right now Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hands. Our days are going very smoothly right now. We do pretty much everything as scheduled. I add in Spanish, Artists study, Composer study, and state/president study for all the kids together. We do Spanish every morning and the others I try to get to once a week. I also am doing AAS in addition to Bigger Dictation with my ds. He just started level 3. You could easily do AAS instead of HOD spelling/dictation or you can do both. As far as all those other LA programs you mentioned IMO, if you are doing the guides as written they are unnecessary.

We are in our third year.

Make sure you go by the placement chart. You shouldn't place in HoD by grade, age, or history cycle. It is all skill-based.

I have only taught one with HoD so I cannot speak to combining or juggling guides. :001_smile:

Here are my concerns;

I'll have two history periods going at once as well as Bible. I'm not sure if I can manage that. Especially with my two middle boys who are not strong readers.

I would suggest combining the Bible portion. I also think HoD recommends combining Storytime when doing more than one guide.

I don't know if I'm ready to drop WWE just yet but I can't imagine continuing with it. HOD looks pretty full.

I recommend dropping WWE when doing HoD as there is so much overlap.

I think doing AAS on top of HoD would be overwhelming, unless you dropped some of HoD.

Basically I'm still teaching a lot of subjects math with 3 dc, Shurley English, WWE 1,2&3, PAL/Writing, AAR (when I get it), AAS, Latin, and WP Reading. This is not including a few things with the two older dc. Would I be able to leave most of this behind? Maybe just keep AAR, AAS and Latin.

You could use Shurley in place of HoD's rec of R&S, but you could easily drop everything else unless you wanted to keep the Latin.

I guess what makes it so hard is my two middle boys. CtC is suppose to be more independent but with Caleb and Brent I'm not sure.

If they need training in independent work, they may do better with Preparing Hearts.

I would love to hear how those of you using it juggle more than one guide, are you using HOD as is (meaning not adding WWE, AAS etc. to it) and do any of you have stuggling readers using CtC? If you do add to HOD are you dropping some of what HOD schedules.

I love the writing and LA of HoD. My son has grown in those areas by leaps and bounds. It's really worked for us and is all very efficient.

Thanks,

Linda<><

See above comments. :001_smile:

hopeallgoeswell,

Are you using HOD to multi teach and foregoing the recommended ages/grades? I am foregoing the recommended age range and skill levels. Last year with Bigger, K-3rd-ish read the scheduled history reading at home and in class they did the history project, notebooking, and geography. 3rd-ish-5 did the scheduled history readings, geography/mapping, most of the notebooking (some of it we changed or added onto), and extra reading (mostly historical fiction). We did take out all but one week of the Wrights Brothers and added a week onto each of the wars and going west. (I think all of that is correct; my friend has the Bigger IG for the year.)

Are you dropping the HOD science in favor of Apologia? Yes. Last year we did Human Anatomy one semester and Botany the next. This year we are doing Astronomy this semester and God's Design for Heaven and Earth: Our Planet Earth with some weather topics thrown in next semester.

Do you ignore the I boxes then and read aloud to your group? My 8 yo dd reads everything herself this year. I have families with K-8 in the co-op and usually the olders read the scheduled history (from CHOW, etc.) to the youngers.

How does it flesh out? I'm VERY curious. :001_smile: Usually, the kids get the history reading, extra reading, and any type of writing assignment/Independent History Study at home (we all have different writing philosophies and different reading levels so I suggest things and the parents take it or leave it.) For writing, my dd does one day of oral narration and one day of written narration from the history reading as per HOD for WWE. Dd does studied dictation twice a week from the spelling dictation (easier than WWE 3) and reviews the grammar concept for WWE that week. Also, most weeks, her reading is tied to our history topic. In co-op, we do the unit project, timeline, and geography/mapping in our one hour session along with rotating presenters on their research topic for the week.

5th-8th grade is in a different room. They do different projects some weeks and go into greater depth when discussing the topic. Their extra reading and writing is also on their level.

I use the poetry from Preparing. I use the concept of Independent History Study in our week, but I have to speed it up and supplement a lot because the pace in the guide is tooooooo slow for my dd.

I guess I use the guide more for a history outline than anything else. For me, it is easier than using Carrie's book selections, which I LOVE, and creating my own schedule with projects and research and geography and timelines :)

If you need me to clarify anything, please feel free to ask!

I use the poetry from Preparing. I use the concept of Independent History Study in our week, but I have to speed it up and supplement a lot because the pace in the guide is tooooooo slow for my dd.

I guess I use the guide more for a history outline than anything else. For me, it is easier than using Carrie's book selections, which I LOVE, and creating my own schedule with projects and research and geography and timelines :)

If you need me to clarify anything, please feel free to ask!

:001_smile::001_smile:Thank you! This is amazing. Will you continue with HOD in this fashion? How will you handle the Notebooking component for younger students?

I'm chewing on this;) So, you are not using HOD for science and writing, is that correct? Nope, not for science. Kind of for writing.

You are using HOD history for WWE writing assignments. Can you give me an example how you do this? We are on week 14 of Preparing. This week, my dd read her day 3 history and gave me an oral narration of it. Day 4 of Preparing is reading a certain amount for history and then doing a written narration on it. I fudge the WWE dictation a bit. Dd does the studied spelling dictation from the back of Preparing twice a week and I review what ever grammar topic WWE covers that week.

Using HOD history for WWE sounds easy and makes sense but I need that hand holding:glare:. I have the hardback book that does from grades 1-4 and apply it to the HOD history reading.

If I do HOD on "on-level" I can basically not do WWE and stick with HOD narration and dictation. They are very similar, but not the exact same. HOD does studied dictation; WWE does not. HOD uses easier sentences for dictation; WWE workbook dictation sentences are tough, IMO. HOD uses poetry for copywork in Bigger; WWE uses book selections. There are more I am not thinking of now. Maybe others can chime in and help!

If you want all of your dc in one guide, I would keep WWE or WWS at each dc level.

Blessings,

Linda<><

Oh, HOD uses Writing with the Best, which I saw was in your other post. This curriculum is for multiple grade levels and is in the CtC guide.

:001_smile::001_smile:Thank you! This is amazing. Will you continue with HOD in this fashion? How will you handle the Notebooking component for younger students?

I will continue with HOD in this fashion. We are slated to do geography/cultures with chemistry and physics next year. The year after that, I fully intend to use CtC with my then 2nd grader and 5th grader as a part of our K-8 co-op.

The notebooking is done on skill-level; this is way we break up the co-op into K-2, 3-5, and 5-8. Everyone does the same topic in different degrees of difficulty. For CtC, only grades 3-8 will get the notebook from HOD; the younger kids will just do something in a sketch book.

Thank you hopeallgoeswell, I appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions :001_smile:

I may purchase one of the guides in January to help me figure this out.

I am enjoying WWE, Simply Spelling and AAS but it would be nice to have it all scheduled out and in one place. With Caleb and Brent (my two middle boys) I'll see if we can at least get through level three of AAS and then maybe I'll let it go. I guess it really depends on how much I can handle.

If I do go HOD using CtC with my olders as hard as it will be I may drop WWE with the Caleb, Brent (who will use CtC) and Ethan, Lance (Bigger) and go with HOD suggestions.

I'm still not sure with Annette though. I plan for her to start WWS in Jan. and would like her to continue with it but we'll see. Once I have CtC guide and WWS I'll be able to figure this out:blushing:. With Annette I still plan for her to use Bob Jones for Grammar, Literature and Math.

I guess basically Annette will use HOD CtC for history, science and spelling.

To think I just exchanged PAL/Reading for the IEW poetry kit (not sure what the name is) and it will be here in a few weeks. Aaack! I forgot that HOD has poetry included.

This is my first year using HOD but I have been homeschooling 11 years. I have found that stick with what is working with your child. My boys are doing AAS and we just decided to drop dictation for right in HOD now so we can fit AAS in. I wouldn't drop WWE if that is working for you.

When I was using Sonlight they always said to look at the Instructor guide as a big buffet table full of food. Pick what works for you and leave what doesn't. I am doing that somewhat with HOD. We are using CLE for English and TT for math. I am also not doing DITHOR. I am interested in WWE or IEW for my boys until they are old enough for Write at Home.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

This is my first year using HOD but I have been homeschooling 11 years. I have found that stick with what is working with your child. My boys are doing AAS and we just decided to drop dictation for right in HOD now so we can fit AAS in. I wouldn't drop WWE if that is working for you.

When I was using Sonlight they always said to look at the Instructor guide as a big buffet table full of food. Pick what works for you and leave what doesn't. I am doing that somewhat with HOD. We are using CLE for English and TT for math. I am also not doing DITHOR. I am interested in WWE or IEW for my boys until they are old enough for Write at Home.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Thanks for reminding me about this.

I don't think I'll be using DITHOR. I tried it with my children three years ago and I didn't care for it.

If I can get my children through WWE3 I think I'll be okay with letting it go :o but not sure if I want to miss out on WWS.

I'll probably continue with Shurley English instead of using R&S. I really like the whole Question and Answer Flow.

If I can fit in AAS I'll keep it. I might be able to because right now my children are using Simply Spelling for spelling dictation and AAS too.

With my two youngest I can always let WWE go, use HOD for writing then use WWS when the time comes.

By the time next school year rolls around most of my children will have done WWE up to level 3. I own four but not sure if I want to use that level. I have heard how hard it is:001_huh:. Again, I'm just going to have to look at them all (WWE4, WWS & HOD) to really make a decsion.

So many ways to do this :D thankfully I have time. I'm just thinking out loud.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to post an update. I decided to take the plunge and use HOD. I was going to use CtC with my 10 and 11yr. old and Bigger with my 7 and 9yr. old but after asking lots of questions on the HOD board I am using Preparing and Beyond.

I started Beyond in Dec. and Preparing in Jan. I wanted to ease into using two guides.

I was terrified to start but I'm glad I did and am now enjoy teaching using HOD. I am now adding in subjects that were being pushed back to the 'if we have time' list. Subjects like history, science, poetry and read aloud.

I love the structure of HOD. The daily layout of the shedule works for me. I admit we don't always do everything every day but I try;). If worst comes to worst and I do end up not being able to fit what I missed in on another day, it's okay because it will come around again in a week. I try not to miss the samething every week though.

I know I'm only a month into Preparing and two months into Beyond but so far I'm liking HOD. I'm having read aloud time with my kids again. Something that I was not fitting in before. Bible time is wonderful. The children and I are having great discussions about God's Word again. I'm excited about all the charcter learning from talking about the characters in our reading. It wonderful.

I guess technically it's only been three weeks with Preparing since we'll start Unit 4 on Monday.

Edited to add that other than All About Spelling I'm not adding to HOD. For my Preparing boys I am continuing with Shurley English instead of switching to R&S. Math, we are continuing with what we were using but for the most part I'm not adding. I dropped WWE, IEW PAL/Writing etc.

Edited by Homeschooling6

Homeschooling6,

Would you suggest running two guides?

Right now I have both of my children in LHFHG with the hopes of bumping my oldest to BHFHG--I have the package bu just haven't worked it in yet. I was thinking that or combining them both in Beyond since the age ranges in the manual are 6-8, which my children are 6 & 8. The only thing with that is my son will be 7 next year and hit bigger sooner than I think he needs to. I'm not sure if that'll be too much for him or not. Just wondering...one part of my brain is saying..."If it aint broke don't try to fix it!" LOL

Homeschooling6,

Would you suggest running two guides?

Right now I have both of my children in LHFHG with the hopes of bumping my oldest to BHFHG--I have the package bu just haven't worked it in yet. I was thinking that or combining them both in Beyond since the age ranges in the manual are 6-8, which my children are 6 & 8. The only thing with that is my son will be 7 next year and hit bigger sooner than I think he needs to. I'm not sure if that'll be too much for him or not. Just wondering...one part of my brain is saying..."If it aint broke don't try to fix it!" LOL

It would depend on your childrens skill level or where they are at with narrationg, copywork, dictation and such.

If you think your 8yr. is ready for Beyond then yes, I would suggest running two guides? But like you said, if it aint broke.....;).

I'm just so thankful my children can be combined because the new terrifying thing is thinking about running 3 guides :tongue_smilie:.

Next year if I add in my dd it will be three guides:eek: but thankfully she does well with working independently.

It would depend on your childrens skill level or where they are at with narrationg, copywork, dictation and such.

If you think your 8yr. is ready for Beyond then yes, I would suggest running two guides? But like you said, if it aint broke.....;).

I'm just so thankful my children can be combined because the new terrifying thing is thinking about running 3 guides :tongue_smilie:.

Next year if I add in my dd it will be three guides:eek: but thankfully she does well with working independently.

Before bedrest and a horrible pregnancy or two and an infant that is now 2yo and still doesn't sleep, and more recently diagnosis of at least 2 autoimmune diseases, I was running three guides. SUPER easy to do. I find the open and go format and not having to tweak just makes that so doable. And the growing independence when you have one or more in the upper levels also helps so much. It doesn't take you out of the loop at all, but it relieves you of much of the time commitment. You just have to find your groove, stagger start, and stick with it at first even when it's seeming impossible because it DOES get easier and then the days fly by! Easiest to use program I've ever used. Love HOD!

Before bedrest and a horrible pregnancy or two and an infant that is now 2yo and still doesn't sleep, and more recently diagnosis of at least 2 autoimmune diseases, I was running three guides. SUPER easy to do. I find the open and go format and not having to tweak just makes that so doable. And the growing independence when you have one or more in the upper levels also helps so much. It doesn't take you out of the loop at all, but it relieves you of much of the time commitment. You just have to find your groove, stagger start, and stick with it at first even when it's seeming impossible because it DOES get easier and then the days fly by! Easiest to use program I've ever used. Love HOD!

:iagree:

I'm running three guides this year, LHFHG, BHFHG and Preparing. It's not easy but when we are in our "grove" it's doable and it's been worth it to me to see them each actually making progress at their own levels without the constant adjusting of curriculum to make it either easier for the youngers or harder for the olders.

I am encouraging independence in the Preparing and at this point in the year (we are on Week 16) he's really doing well with it. My 8yo who is in Bigger is also very independent on a lot of the boxes because he's a bit advanced for his age. I'm looking forward to next year with more independence in CTC because I need to start my upcoming K'er on something with my spare minutes :)

There are some boxes in both Bigger and Preparing that you can get to be a bit more indepedent than they look at first glance. Sometimes storytime isn't a read-aloud for my oldest two. They probably read it by themselves at least twice a week. My kidlet in Bigger is doing the science almost completely on his own even it's not really designed that way. Even little things like teaching them to get their art supplies out and then cleaned up by themselves has been a great time-saver for me this year.

All that to say, running multiple guides is a challenge but is doable and the results for us this year have been amazing.

So can you wonderful folks tell me your thoughts on what I should do? This year we are doing MFW Modern Times. I'd love to do Egypt/Greece next year. We don't love the MFW spines and we really like more coloring and lap booking and miss doing poetry. I think we'd love the water painting in HOD. My dd15 is more like a 12 year old in reading comprehension. Her grammar and spelling skills are much lower than that and she is unable to do math beyond grade 1 or 2. DD12 has mild LD's mostly in reading comprehension. She is doing AAS4 now with no trouble. DS9 is right on target for everything. DS6 is too. So I was thinking I might be able to combine the 3 oldest in CTC. Do you think I could? Would you recommend I get duplicates of anything to make this easier (if you weren't considered about cost but weighed ease more highly at this point in your life)? Would you do a level of HOD with ds7 or just let him listen as he wants and do his own math and grammar?

Thanks for your input!!!!

Here are my concerns;

Thanks,

Linda<><

I started the school year with HOD: Little Hands, Bigger, CtC, and Rev 2 Rev. I added some things of my own. I also dropped things from the HOD guide. I had my 8th grader in Rev and my 4th and 6th graders in CtC. My days were full juggling the 2 younger ones and my highschooler, giving each child an individual English/writing lesson, doing the together portion of CTC (I did none of the together portion with my 8th grader) and keeping up with our Latin. That's an understatement. My days were extraordinarily full. At the end of that full day I still needed to evaluate the work my kids had done. I couldn't evaluate it well because I had not read it. They were doing it independently and I had no idea if they were understanding the information or thinking about it well.

I had thought that the way HOD was set up would help my kids make those important connections that I thought I was missing. It did not. My kids needed a mentor to guide them through and I couldn't do it with HOD. There just was no time for me to keep up with their reading, read through their writings and point out those connections.

Their days were full too, very full. For my elementary students it was too much. And yet, it didn't feel like learning but a manic pace of box-checking. By the end of the day we were all so exhausted, we just didn't care about discussing or taking things to the next level. We just wanted to get all the boxes checked so we could do something else. ANYTHING else.

I started the school year with HOD: Little Hands, Bigger, CtC, and Rev 2 Rev. I added some things of my own. I also dropped things from the HOD guide. I had my 8th grader in Rev and my 4th and 6th graders in CtC. My days were full juggling the 2 younger ones and my highschooler, giving each child an individual English/writing lesson, doing the together portion of CTC (I did none of the together portion with my 8th grader) and keeping up with our Latin. That's an understatement. My days were extraordinarily full. At the end of that full day I still needed to evaluate the work my kids had done. I couldn't evaluate it well because I had not read it. They were doing it independently and I had no idea if they were understanding the information or thinking about it well.

I had thought that the way HOD was set up would help my kids make those important connections that I thought I was missing. It did not. My kids needed a mentor to guide them through and I couldn't do it with HOD. There just was no time for me to keep up with their reading, read through their writings and point out those connections.

Their days were full too, very full. For my elementary students it was too much. And yet, it didn't feel like learning but a manic pace of box-checking. By the end of the day we were all so exhausted, we just didn't care about discussing or taking things to the next level. We just wanted to get all the boxes checked so we could do something else. ANYTHING else.

This is what concerns me, especially in the higher guides. I have read on the HOD forums why there is no answer key (can't find the thread at the moment)but I would like a little more help in this area. At least give me the choice to use it or not, so I can spring-board from it (answer wise).

The "Key Idea" that is in each box is intended to sum up for the parent what the student is learning. I've found it very helpful when I remember to check these. And it only takes a minute to read the two pages/week in the history notebook. This gives me a very good idea how he's doing. And there are the oral narrations as well.

However I do think running four guides is insane, especially for a first time HODer. HOD is too full for that, unless you want to spend your whole day schooling. I always suggest starting with one guide and adding more as you succeed. :001_smile:

Edited by birchbark

I can definitely see in your case why using HOD may not work, with as many children as you have. MFW or even TOG may work better in a large family situation. I only have 3, so I'm crossing my fingers that it will be a bit more manageable.

This is what concerns me, especially in the higher guides. I have read on the HOD forums why there is no answer key (can't find the thread at the moment)but I would like a little more help in this area. At least give me the choice to use it or not, so I can spring-board from it (answer wise).

I agree......I wish HOD offered something like the teacher's notes that are in TOG. If it did I would feel WAY better about using it as my children reach the upper level guides! I understand the HOD guides are written to the student once you reach a certain point (Preparing perhaps?), but I'm with you, there should be a separate Teacher's guide that helps the Mom feel in the loop on what her student is reading and learning.

The key idea in CTC is maybe a sentence or two each day while they have read 2 chapters of Story of the Ancient World. There is no way those 2 sentences summarize 6-10 pages of that history text. My child brought me her Apologia Zoology 3 to narrate over about 6 pages the other day and I was really trying to skim quickly so that I could keep up and encourage or correct her narration as needed. I think you can bluff your way through the narrations by skimming the reading and glancing at the key idea, but I think reading it beforehand is better.

I know I feel flustered in the middle of the day when I have 1 kid wanting to do a narration while I have been working with 2 other kids and I grab a book from them and try to quickly cram 6 pages into my brain and not seem like I am just nodding no matter how poor their narration or comprehension is of the material.

So for me, I definitely need to skim or read before the child is handing me the book and looking at me expectantly.

Edited by OpenMinded

Linda,

Here's the thread about Answer Keys. (sorry, my previous link was a dud. Thanks birchbark! :) )

My biggest reason for leaving HOD, which I do not want to do, is my inability to run 3-4 guides and keep up. My kids do not combine well in HOD and to use it appropriately, hitting the skills where they need it, I HAVE to separate them. I don't want to be disconnected from my kids' science and history reading, especially in logic stage when they are grappling, thinking, questioning, etc. I don't want to have to manage 32+ boxes each day no matter how awesome the assignments are. I don't want to be so compartmentalized. I DO want my kids to learn with HOD but it begins to unravel in CTC for my family. Kids need a lot of side by side mentoring during those years and I'd rather do less breadth and have more depth. I also think CTC is challenging enough that I can't combine my kids. Skills are interwoven in HOD beginning with Bigger. I think the younger guides are pretty easy to run multiples of. I can do it but I just dont want to. :D

We are just playing it by ear now. My oldest LOVES Bigger. I don't have the heart to stop him. :001_smile: He thrives with it. My middlers are using MFW K. The unit studies rock! We might use Preparing this next year. We own it and the guide is fabulous. I believe, with a few changes, I can combine my kids. The spine texts are accessible to a wide variety of ages. After that, we can't combine any longer.... CTC ramps up too high.

The key idea in CTC is maybe a sentence or two each day while they have read 2 chapters of Story of the Ancient World. There is no way those 2 sentences summarize 6-10 pages of that history text. My child brought me her Apologia Zoology 3 to narrate over about 6 pages the other day and I was really trying to skim quickly so that I could keep up and encourage or correct her narration as needed. I think you can bluff your way through the narrations by skimming the reading and glancing at the key idea, but I think reading it beforehand is better.

I know I feel flustered in the middle of the day when I have 1 kid wanting to do a narration while I have been working with 2 other kids and I grab a book from them and try to quickly cram 6 pages into my brain and not seem like I am just nodding no matter how poor their narration or comprehension is of the material.

So for me, I definitely need to skim or read before the child is handing me the book and looking at me expectantly.

Edited by abrightmom

I agree......I wish HOD offered something like the teacher's notes that are in TOG. If it did I would feel WAY better about using it as my children reach the upper level guides! I understand the HOD guides are written to the student once you reach a certain point (Preparing perhaps?), but I'm with you, there should be a separate Teacher's guide that helps the Mom feel in the loop on what her student is reading and learning.

:iagree:

So can you wonderful folks tell me your thoughts on what I should do? This year we are doing MFW Modern Times. I'd love to do Egypt/Greece next year. We don't love the MFW spines and we really like more coloring and lap booking and miss doing poetry. I think we'd love the water painting in HOD. My dd15 is more like a 12 year old in reading comprehension. Her grammar and spelling skills are much lower than that and she is unable to do math beyond grade 1 or 2. DD12 has mild LD's mostly in reading comprehension. She is doing AAS4 now with no trouble. DS9 is right on target for everything. DS6 is too. So I was thinking I might be able to combine the 3 oldest in CTC. Do you think I could? Would you recommend I get duplicates of anything to make this easier (if you weren't considered about cost but weighed ease more highly at this point in your life)? Would you do a level of HOD with ds7 or just let him listen as he wants and do his own math and grammar?

Thanks for your input!!!!

CTC may work for your three. You could check the placement chart to be sure. If I were you, I would not do another HoD with your youngers at first. I would wait at least a few months to see if you like the feel of the program. Doing just the 3R's is fine at that age.

You do not really need duplicates of CTC for multiple students, with the exception of the notebooking pages. Unless your kids really hate sharing books. :001_smile:

I thought I'd post a link to this thread from the HoD board, which covers the concept of independent work in HoD, and also touches on the issue of pre-reading everything. There are posts by HoD's author so you can see what their philosophy is and if yours may differ.

And here is the post on the lack of answer keys. The link above didn't work for me.

You do not really need duplicates of CTC for multiple students, with the exception of the notebooking pages. Unless your kids really hate sharing books. :001_smile:

Thanks for the input!

What if I don't want them to have to wait around for each other to finish with a book so they can read it that day? Is there plenty of other independent work to keep them busy while they wait? I did print the week sample and it looks great. I am a bit concerned about ds9 doing the narrations. I haven't kept up with WWE with him :( My girls have done it through most of WWE4 and they'll be fine. He does 1 sentence dictations. I'll have to ease him in.

Can my ds7 listen in on any of it and glean plenty? Or should I just skip that idea and let him play?

Thanks for the input!

What if I don't want them to have to wait around for each other to finish with a book so they can read it that day? Is there plenty of other independent work to keep them busy while they wait? I did print the week sample and it looks great. I am a bit concerned about ds9 doing the narrations. I haven't kept up with WWE with him :( My girls have done it through most of WWE4 and they'll be fine. He does 1 sentence dictations. I'll have to ease him in.

Can my ds7 listen in on any of it and glean plenty? Or should I just skip that idea and let him play?

Since the assignments in HoD are scheduled in boxes, as opposed to a linear form, it is easy to do the subjects in whatever order you wish. So if you have two students doing one program, they could schedule their days so that they are doing different subjects at different times. There should be enough independent work to allow them to do this. If you want them to move through the subjects together, then it would be easier for them to each have their own set of books.

Another idea would be to buy just a second guide so they can each have their own.

It sounds to me like CTC may be a bit over your 9yo's head work-wise. Bigger or Preparing may be a better fit. CTC would also be hard for your 7yo to glean from; however if you did Bigger or Preparing with your other student he could probably enjoy those readings.

Since the assignments in HoD are scheduled in boxes, as opposed to a linear form, it is easy to do the subjects in whatever order you wish. So if you have two students doing one program, they could schedule their days so that they are doing different subjects at different times. There should be enough independent work to allow them to do this. If you want them to move through the subjects together, then it would be easier for them to each have their own set of books.

Another idea would be to buy just a second guide so they can each have their own.

It sounds to me like CTC may be a bit over your 9yo's head work-wise. Bigger or Preparing may be a better fit. CTC would also be hard for your 7yo to glean from; however if you did Bigger or Preparing with your other student he could probably enjoy those readings.

This is what I plan to do when we get to CtC. If I happen to see a book at Half Price then I'll have a book for each child. I really would like to purchase two sets of books but I think for us it would be too expensive right now (maybe another year).