Menu

Ballpark figures for cost of tutor?

We have found a potential tutor for dd for Japanese. She is a native speaker and she lives in our area (an extreme rarity here). She's not a professional tutor, but she is well-educated. We hope to do weekly one-hour sessions. One or two of these would be in-person sessions (likely at a local restaurant) and the other two or three would be by Skype. We live in an area where cost of living is easily in bottom 10-15% nationwide but employment is relatively high and economy is relatively strong. Any ideas what we could expect to pay?? She's not a professional tutor, this is a side-job for her (and quite possibly her only tutoring job now) so she hasn't named a price yet. I just want a general idea before going to meet with her to negotiate price.

Anywhere from $20-70/hour. A friend of mine was doing $20/hour for reading and/or writing sessions if they came to her, cash payment only. I know a retired math teacher though who charges $70/hour for calculus tutoring where he goes to the student.

Thanks so much! I'm hoping for something on the lower end there for what would essentially be tutoring for a beginner, less structured, from someone whose formal training is not even remotely related to languages or education.