Menu

Gift ideas for father? Please?

Another gift thread, but I am stumped, and the birthday party is Saturday.

Please help me come up with an idea! At this point, it doesn't have to be sentimental... Just something nice, useful, well, anything. Amazon Prime would be ideal, but not necessary. :)

My father has everything he needs, and anything he wants - he buys. Anything he doesn't know he needs or wants, my Smom (stepmom) buys for him.

He is happily not-retired, meaning that he could retire very comfortably, but chooses to work because "a body in motion stays in motion." For fun, he has added to his workload and is now the dean of a large university math dept, along with continuing his lifework in science (being vague here, but trying to get across who he is). He is very patriotic. His dream was always to own a farm, and he's realized that ... He lives on a beautiful farm. They have cows, lots of land. Lots of fences to paint and beautiful landscaping to maintain.

We are giving portraits as Christmas gifts, so that idea is out.

I am absolutely stumped this year. And this is a big, landmark birthday, so I really want to give him something.

Any ideas would be deeply appreciated!

Oh my goodness, I'm replying to my own thread! This is somewhat to bump it for some - any? - ideas, and partly to say I did come up with a few ideas...

Would this be silly: a crate of retro candy from the decade he was born? And the Dr. Seuss book for Obsolete Children?

Aside from that, I'm thinking of an engraved travel mug. I just need a good quote for Dads!

Thanks for helping me think this through...

It probably wouldn't arrive in time, but you could do a photo book of photos from each year of his life, and do little write-ups or quotes. My friend did this with one of the online photo places to make a dance scrapbook for her DD. It came out really nice.

Oh my goodness, I'm replying to my own thread! This is somewhat to bump it for some - any? - ideas, and partly to say I did come up with a few ideas...

Would this be silly: a crate of retro candy from the decade he was born? And the Dr. Seuss book for Obsolete Children?

Aside from that, I'm thinking of an engraved travel mug. I just need a good quote for Dads!

Thanks for helping me think this through...

Love these ideas. I know how you feel because my dad sounds very similar. He even goes out & buys stuff for himself on Dec. 23 & 24 sometimes! Argh. :tongue_smilie::lol:

Would he appreciate a donation being made in his name to a group that shares his values?

I always try to find a book my dad likes too. (Usually things like Stephen King, military history, etc....)

Lately, my dad has gotten himself (:tongue_smilie:) UnderArmour stuff because he's really active/outdoorsy & the weather is getting colder.

One time we got him driving time at a Go-Kart type track. He enjoyed that. Is there an outing, a show, etc... that he would enjoy?

Magazine subscription?