Menu

After CEI and CEII

I am very close to finishing CE 1 and 2 with my sons. The vocabulary provided was excellent and we loved learning the latin roots to words. After reading many posts, I am pretty sure that I do not want to continue into WWW. So, what wisdom can the hive provide with respect to a good program to use?

We're planning to do Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop beginning next semester. DH actually wanted me to start DD on it earlier, but we love the CE books so much that I convinced him to wait until after we finished those. DH attended Catholic schools growing up and they used the VW books (which are secular BTW). He swears the series helped him tremendously with college & graduate admissions tests.

I don't know about the current edition of VW, but the 1988 copyright edition does not. Each unit covers 20-25 words. The order of exercises is: definitions, sentence completion, synonyms, antonyms, and another sentence completion exercise. After every 4 units, there is a review section with analogies, spelling, synonyms, antonyms, sentence completion, figuring out the related words (e.g. infer -> inference), and fill-in-the-blanks.

The 2005 copyright edition looks fairly similar, though there is a "vocabulary in context" section rather than analogies.

I am very close to finishing CE 1 and 2 with my sons. The vocabulary provided was excellent and we loved learning the latin roots to words. After reading many posts, I am pretty sure that I do not want to continue into WWW. So, what wisdom can the hive provide with respect to a good program to use?

Trez, I would like to respond to this because I am one of the people who has posted about their difficulty in using WWW 1. Like you, we had previously done CE and loved it. Last year for seventh grade, we made it through Lesson 12 in WWW and threw in the towel. There were too many words and the exercises did not seem to cement the usage. We really disliked it, even when we stretched a lesson out for two weeks. I went back to Sadlier-Oxford, which I do recommend if you don't do MCT.

For eighth grade this year, I had a brain blip and went ahead and ordered the whole level 7 set that includes Word Within the Word, Vol. 2. I had vague memories of the only board member I know that used it telling me that it was actually easier to use than WWW 1. I've actually thought of writing an update thread because I have to admit that I am back in love with MCT vocabulary. We have a handle on how to make it work for us this year and the words show up everywhere. Perhaps we are so satisfied because my son, who has been a nonreader for years, started consuming classics like 1984 and Dante's Inferno. Everyday, we see those vocabulary words. That has been the best reinforcement, knowing that he will use what he is learning.

I had the older version of WWW 1, so I don't know how the new edition is.

Just some random thoughts for what they are worth. :tongue_smilie: