Menu

Prayer request for baby girl-more TMI

I'm sorry, I know it's not the biggest deal in the world. But baby girl is absolutely miserable right now. The diaper rash is back with a vengeance. I tried the miracle butt cream and it started going away, but apparently it came back. She was inconsolable most of the night (as in, I might have gotten two hours of sleep) and the first half of the morning was spent screaming her head off as well. I had to start giving her mini baths in the bathroom sink because the wipes made her scream bloody murder. I switched back to using coconut oil as it was the only thing that made her not scream. I stuck her in the sun around noon for about five minutes before she took a nap. The direct sunlight is now gone, so she's just airing out on a blanket. As I look over now, it appears she peed on the blanket :glare: Her bottom is still bright red and looks very painful. I just don't know what to do anymore, if you wouldn't mind sending positive thoughts our way, I would sure appreciate it. It breaks my heart to see her hurting so badly.

OH, that's so hard. Poor baby.

I would just use straight Lotrimin, no diaper for 24 hours or so (yeah, they pee on the blankets!), water only to rinse, and (if you are breastfeeding) a very, very bland diet for you--no coffee, no citrus, no dairy, no nuts, no tomatoes, no vinegar (salad dressings, pickles, mustard/ketch, etc).

nekkid butt time as much as possible, no disposable diapers after it clears(many times they really cause a lot of problems) and if you BFeed keep your diet to whole simple foods with no spicey seasonings. That seems to help. If you're not BFeeding then a formula change may be needed.

:grouphug: and prayers that her bum heals soon.

If she has had any diarrhea, and the acid is bothering her, mylanta helps a lot. You put it right on her butt. Otherwise, a barrier cream that has a LOT of zinc oxide in it. I noticed that a lot of them now only have about 14% zinc, but some have aver 40% zinc oxide. The lower ones do nothing! Also, I dont scrub it off at each change, I leave it on until she poops, then clean it all off. But I do add more each time.

Did you try the prescription the doctor gave her?

no, not yet. I'll have to have DH get it after he gets home.

OH, that's so hard. Poor baby.

I would just use straight Lotrimin, no diaper for 24 hours or so (yeah, they pee on the blankets!), water only to rinse, and (if you are breastfeeding) a very, very bland diet for you--no coffee, no citrus, no dairy, no nuts, no tomatoes, no vinegar (salad dressings, pickles, mustard/ketch, etc).

Thank you. I'll try this.

Mine were babies too long ago to have any suggestions except for nekked butt time on a blanket outside but I want to give you a big ol' :grouphug:

nekkid butt time as much as possible, no disposable diapers after it clears(many times they really cause a lot of problems) and if you BFeed keep your diet to whole simple foods with no spicey seasonings. That seems to help. If you're not BFeeding then a formula change may be needed.

:grouphug: and prayers that her bum heals soon.

Thank you. I'll talk to DH about cloth diapers. He's not sure it would help at all. Dang, I just took all my cloth diaper burp cloths to the DI. I bet those would have come in handy right now.

Poor baby!

I couldn't use wipes with one of my children-had to go to soft rags and warm water. Eucerin cream caked on thick was the only thing I had good luck with.

(I'd add no citrus to that list of foods).

Thank you. I'll cake it on as much as I can.

Have you tried something for yeast? This sounds like it could be a yeast infection. I agree to keep her aired out as much as humanly possible. Another thing if it is a bad diaper rash (no yeast) corn starch works really well. Try that if you have not already!

The doctor saw her last week and thought it was a yeast infection. He gave me a prescription. I will have DH fill it. Thank you for your help.

Have you changed nappy brands? When we had ds in cloth, he got a rash in 5 minutes. We changed to the biodegradable disposable and he only got a rash in half an hour. The shop stopped selling them for a few weeks so we had to put him in the cheapies, and he hasn't had a rash since.

Rosie

If she has had any diarrhea, and the acid is bothering her, mylanta helps a lot. You put it right on her butt. Otherwise, a barrier cream that has a LOT of zinc oxide in it. I noticed that a lot of them now only have about 14% zinc, but some have aver 40% zinc oxide. The lower ones do nothing! Also, I dont scrub it off at each change, I leave it on until she poops, then clean it all off. But I do add more each time.

She doesn't have any diarrhea, but in the thread last week, someone suggested a mix of Maalox, Desitin, and Monistat. Walmart didn't have any Maalox, they only had the generic brand in cherry flavor. I wasn't sure if the cherry flavor would irritate it more (she has eczema and sensitive skin anyways) so I bought some generic Mylanta. It had the same active ingredients as the Maalox, only about half as strong. I haven't been scrubbing, just dunking her in the sink to get the pooh off. She still screams :crying:

Have you changed nappy brands? When we had ds in cloth, he got a rash in 5 minutes. We changed to the biodegradable disposable and he only got a rash in half an hour. The shop stopped selling them for a few weeks so we had to put him in the cheapies, and he hasn't had a rash since.

Rosie

Have you tried changing disposables (if your Dh doesn't agree to cloth)? My ds would get horrible rashes from Pampers but not from Huggies. Every time I used a few Pampers on him he would break out in those awful raw spots.

I hope the prescription helps her.

I can try switching. She's in Pampers and has always been in Pampers without much issue before. Maybe something else would work better.

My mom swore by sitting babe in plain yogurt.
OOooo, I do have some I could slather on her.

I know how that goes.:sad: My oldest dd had some nasty diaper rashes. At this point I would try the prescription, but in the future Lamisil is what has worked best for us. The other antifungal just do not cut it. I hope your baby feels better soon. In the mean time try a baking soda bath.

Is there any chance you changed your diet at all? I went from the all natural peanut butter (nothing in it but peanuts) to a tub of the cr@p :o from the store and my baby's butt went bright red and painful. :glare: It took me a couple days to figure out that's what it was and a day to clear up after I stopped the peanut butter for it all to go away.

Not sure what in that processed stuff my baby reacted to but it sure made life painful!

Is there any chance you changed your diet at all? I went from the all natural peanut butter (nothing in it but peanuts) to a tub of the cr@p :o from the store and my baby's butt went bright red and painful. :glare: It took me a couple days to figure out that's what it was and a day to clear up after I stopped the peanut butter for it all to go away.

Not sure what in that processed stuff my baby reacted to but it sure made life painful!

I'm trying to think back a week and I have no idea what I ate. I'm pretty sure it's all been stuff I eat on a regular basis, nothing new or exotic. Heck, I even switched from store bought peanut butter to homemade made from roasted unsalted peanuts. But I made that switch a month ago. So I'm very puzzled as to where it came from.

Hope the script helps! When we get any hint of yeast, we apply lotrimin. Might be a good thing to have on hand. Also, if you don't see marked improvement with the cream, don't hesitate to go right back to the doc. My nephew had a nasty yeasty looking rash that actually turned out to be staph!

My daughter went through a yeast rash with her baby a few months ago and she used a prescription from the doctor. I also had her eat yougurt daily and take 2 probiotic pills daily (the pricey refrigerated kind available at your health food store) and stay off of sweets or sugared foods, breads and dairy products.

It cleared up quickly and her baby is back to normal now. If you are breastfeeding you may have thrush in your breasts also and you and baby could be passing it back and forth. This happened to my daughter, she developed thrush twice within the first two months of baby's life. We had to have both she and baby treated with difulcan or nystain (can't remember which now).

Since your baby is 8 months old (my daughters baby was just 2 months at the time) you can feed your baby yougurt daily and add a probiotic capsul to her yougurt to help get lots of good bacteria in her system to fight the yeast infection. It is important to get yeast under control not just because it makes baby uncomfortable, but also because it can lead to a UTI and that can lead to kidney infections.

I also had my daughter put her baby under a sunlight lamp (the kind you use to create vitamin D ) 3 times a day for 10 minutes each time on the baby's bare bottom to help it heal quicker. If you have a sunlight lamp at home, this is a great asset. If not, you can put her in a sunny window to help the same way.

My daughter now takes a daily capsul of probiotic every morning to help prevent the thrush and yeast from returning.

I hope your little one feels better soon !

Lortrimin cream. It sounds like a yeast infection. It will work miracles. Next time, use it at the first sign, as it's VERY itchy and uncomfortable for the baby. She should feel much better in a day or so.

How can you tell the difference between a yeast infection and a regular diaper rash? Or should I just use the Lortrimin at the first sign of any diaper rash?

an oatmeal bath will soothe it. Just put regular oatmeal in an old sock and put the sock in the tub with her. squeeze it some to get the oat juice out.
That's a wonderful idea, thank you!

My daughter went through a yeast rash with her baby a few months ago and she used a prescription from the doctor. I also had her eat yougurt daily and take 2 probiotic pills daily (the pricey refrigerated kind available at your health food store) and stay off of sweets or sugared foods, breads and dairy products.

It cleared up quickly and her baby is back to normal now. If you are breastfeeding you may have thrush in your breasts also and you and baby could be passing it back and forth. This happened to my daughter, she developed thrush twice within the first two months of baby's life. We had to have both she and baby treated with difulcan or nystain (can't remember which now).

Since your baby is 8 months old (my daughters baby was just 2 months at the time) you can feed your baby yougurt daily and add a probiotic capsul to her yougurt to help get lots of good bacteria in her system to fight the yeast infection. It is important to get yeast under control not just because it makes baby uncomfortable, but also because it can lead to a UTI and that can lead to kidney infections.

I also had my daughter put her baby under a sunlight lamp (the kind you use to create vitamin D ) 3 times a day for 10 minutes each time on the baby's bare bottom to help it heal quicker. If you have a sunlight lamp at home, this is a great asset. If not, you can put her in a sunny window to help the same way.

My daughter now takes a daily capsul of probiotic every morning to help prevent the thrush and yeast from returning.

I hope your little one feels better soon !

Thank you for the ideas. If I had thrush on me, would it be apparent? I've heard that it is very painful, but I don't have any pain. Would it be possible for me to have it and not know? I was wondering about UTI, bladder and kidney infections too. How would I know if she had any of that? Would she get a fever? She felt warm when I got her up from her nap, but it was kind of warm upstairs, so I brought her downstairs and after a few minutes of playing took her temp. It was 98.4, so totally normal. Is all I need to watch for a fever? Also, I noticed when she was nakey on the blanket that she was playing fine, but then started crying out of nowhere. I brought her next to me and noticed she had peed on the blanket. Isn't pain during urination one of the signs of a UTI? How would I be able to tell the difference between that and pain because it burned her skin?

Thank you everyone. I feel so dense as I ask these questions. Sick babies make me feel like a blathering idiot. Neither of the boys had these problems.

Try A&D layered with the Mylanta. My kids were ALLERGIC and still are to zinc oxide which is in most diaper rash creams (and sunscreens...yay us!).

My son too. If you've been using zinc oxide creams in the past I wouldn't worry but if you haven't that could be an issue. I know of others who have had that issue. They label the zinc oxide ones hypoallergenic and the prescription cream we were prescribed had it too. It was a mess to figure out because of that for me.

A bad yeast infection can be horribly painful. I know because I had one a year ago--it was severe, and I had to be on oral meds for a month as well as a special, no-sugar diet for eight months. Yeast can really be awful.

Butt cream that does not kill the yeast will only trap moisture on her bottom and make the yeast worse.

If it is a yeast infection--and it sure sounds like it to me--she is in pain and the only thing that will help it is an anti-fungal.

I concur with the other posters:

--Do the anti-fungal. Either get the prescription filled or get some OTC stuff and use it exclusively. Clean her gently with water only and put on plenty of fresh cream every two hours. Leave her bottom naked for at least a day while you're trying to address this. After that, IF you have seen improvement, make sure you both air out her bottom frequently but also change her diaper frequently so she is never lingering in a wet diaper.

--Limit your carb and sugar intake. (Are you breastfeeding?) By limit I mean don't have any carbs or sugar. Stick to meats and vegetables for a few days at least, if not longer. No grains, no sugar, no vinegar.

Edited by strider

How can you tell the difference between a yeast infection and a regular diaper rash? Or should I just use the Lortrimin at the first sign of any diaper rash?

That's a wonderful idea, thank you!

They do look a lot alike. However, the pain you describe, the fact that her rash was not responding to diaper cream, and your dr's opinion all make me think it's yeast. My own dd had a yeast infection as a baby. In her case, the rash never went away no matter what I did, the rash got worse, and she was itchy and really uncomfortable.

Thank you for the ideas. If I had thrush on me, would it be apparent? I've heard that it is very painful, but I don't have any pain. Would it be possible for me to have it and not know? I was wondering about UTI, bladder and kidney infections too. How would I know if she had any of that? Would she get a fever? She felt warm when I got her up from her nap, but it was kind of warm upstairs, so I brought her downstairs and after a few minutes of playing took her temp. It was 98.4, so totally normal. Is all I need to watch for a fever? Also, I noticed when she was nakey on the blanket that she was playing fine, but then started crying out of nowhere. I brought her next to me and noticed she had peed on the blanket. Isn't pain during urination one of the signs of a UTI? How would I be able to tell the difference between that and pain because it burned her skin?

You don't necessarily have to have pain to have thrush. Look for white patches in your mouth or the baby's mouth.

Pain while urinating is an effect of having a bad yeast infection. At that point the skin is such a mess that anything that touches it burns except the antifungal cream.

If it were a UTI or kidney infection she would likely have fever, perhaps some jaundice if it's REALLY bad, and abdominal pain. If you're worried about it you can certainly take her in to the dr. However, I'd try the prescription yeast cream first.

Thank you everyone. I feel so dense as I ask these questions. Sick babies make me feel like a blathering idiot. Neither of the boys had these problems.

Some thoughts above.

Update: DH just left to go pick up the prescription. He dropped it off on his way home from work, they said it would be 1 1/2 hours and that they would text him when it was ready. Two hours later he called in, it wasn't ready yet, so he's going in to see if it's done yet. It's been almost three hours and she was asleep when he came home. I'm hoping she'll wake up again (with as much pain as she's been in, I'm sure she will) so I can slather it on ASAP.

A bad yeast infection can be horribly painful. I know because I had one a year ago--it was severe, and I had to be on oral meds for a month as well as a special, no-sugar diet for eight months. Yeast can really be awful.

Butt cream that does not kill the yeast will only trap moisture on her bottom and make the yeast worse.

If it is a yeast infection--and it sure sounds like it to me--she is in pain and the only thing that will help it is an anti-fungal.

I concur with the other posters:

--Do the anti-fungal. Either get the prescription filled or get some OTC stuff and use it exclusively. Clean her gently with water only and put on plenty of fresh cream every two hours. Leave her bottom naked for at least a day while you're trying to address this. After that, IF you have seen improvement, make sure you both air out her bottom frequently but also change her diaper frequently so she is never lingering in a wet diaper.

--Limit your carb and sugar intake. (Are you breastfeeding?) By limit I mean don't have any carbs or sugar. Stick to meats and vegetables for a few days at least, if not longer. No grains, no sugar, no vinegar.

Some thoughts above.

She is almost exclusively breastfed. Only rarely does she have baby food. I can hold off on that until she gets better. I just called DH and told him to pick me up a pack of chicken while he's out bc apparently I'll be eating a lot of it for the next week or so. Thank you for your help

DS had a rash like this when he was little. He was fine till he was about 7-8 months old. We changed diapers - nothing. I controlled my diet (I was bf'ing) - nothing. We used all the Rx creams - the rash often turned yeasty so we'd slather on anti-fungal cream, OTC rash creams, supplements that people said might help, etc. It would get better for a few days, but then go from clear to bleeding during a naptime. It was so bad that his skin would slough off in pieces and he'd have huge, raw, bleeding areas on his bum. We switched to cloth diapers and it got SLIGHTLY better, but continued until he was 22 months old when I toilet trained him out of desperation. As soon as he trained, the rash and issues went away and never returned.

I hope your rash isn't so prolonged. I would definitely try the yeast medicine though. It can't hurt and it very well might help. And definitely go for as much nekkid time as you can handle. It will be a LOT of washing, but it's really best for her bum.

Update: DH just left to go pick up the prescription. He dropped it off on his way home from work, they said it would be 1 1/2 hours and that they would text him when it was ready. Two hours later he called in, it wasn't ready yet, so he's going in to see if it's done yet. It's been almost three hours and she was asleep when he came home. I'm hoping she'll wake up again (with as much pain as she's been in, I'm sure she will) so I can slather it on ASAP.

She is almost exclusively breastfed. Only rarely does she have baby food. I can hold off on that until she gets better. I just called DH and told him to pick me up a pack of chicken while he's out bc apparently I'll be eating a lot of it for the next week or so. Thank you for your help

Further thoughts on the diet:

You will find yourself craving carbs pretty badly. I coped with this by eating things with intense flavor. In my case that meant that I ate a lot of cajun.

Also, allow yourself to eat as much as you want. You do not want hunger on top of the sugar cravings.

Also you will need to increase your fat intake--trust me, more fat balances out the lack of sugar. Without increased fat in your diet you will feel shaky. When I did this, it meant I put butter on everything and I ate a lot of avocados.

Eat plenty of vegetables to avoid constipation.

If you're just dying for some form of sugar, go with either sweet potatoes (baked with lots of butter--yum!) or with granny smith apples (a lower-sugar fruit).

Technically beans are a carb too, but if you're desperate beans are better to add in rather than grains. NO rice or wheat or grain while your little one is fighting this.

That's a yeast rash. I keep a tube of Lotrimen on hand for them and put it straight on instead of using diaper rash cream. It usually clears it up enough to stop the pain pretty quickly and get rid of it within a day or two, depending on how bad it got before the Lotrimen was applied. Also, no wipes, use water rinses and dab dry with a very soft cloth.

I've had five babies, every one has had a yeast diaper rash at least once. If it was diagnosed last week and you still haven't treated it, I'm not surprised that she's miserable. In future, I'd recommend treating with lotrimin (it's otc) any diaper rash that doesn't respond to a regular diaper creme.

Further thoughts on the diet:

You will find yourself craving carbs pretty badly. I coped with this by eating things with intense flavor. In my case that meant that I ate a lot of cajun.

Also, allow yourself to eat as much as you want. You do not want hunger on top of the sugar cravings.

Also you will need to increase your fat intake--trust me, more fat balances out the lack of sugar. Without increased fat in your diet you will feel shaky. When I did this, it meant I put butter on everything and I ate a lot of avocados.

Eat plenty of vegetables to avoid constipation.

If you're just dying for some form of sugar, go with either sweet potatoes (baked with lots of butter--yum!) or with granny smith apples (a lower-sugar fruit).

Technically beans are a carb too, but if you're desperate beans are better to add in rather than grains. NO rice or wheat or grain while your little one is fighting this.

*sigh* I will do it if it's helpful for her, but I'm already crying on the inside. :lol: I just imagine myself eating a lot of chicken and cooked carrots and spinach (those are the vegetables we have on hand). And eggs for breakfast. That won't be so bad.....I hope. I can do it.

That's a yeast rash. I keep a tube of Lotrimen on hand for them and put it straight on instead of using diaper rash cream. It usually clears it up enough to stop the pain pretty quickly and get rid of it within a day or two, depending on how bad it got before the Lotrimen was applied. Also, no wipes, use water rinses and dab dry with a very soft cloth.

Would flannel be a good cloth to use? I've got lots of flannel I can cut up and use. Thank you for your help

Flannel makes great baby wipes, but I would stick with rinsing while she is in so much pain. Poor thing! My second dd was allergic to disposable diapers. Whenever she used one (any brand), she'd get a shiny, red bum. Cloth was better for her.

People have given lots of suggestions already. I can't believe it's taking the pharmacy so long to fill that prescription! I hope it helps her quickly.

I've had five babies, every one has had a yeast diaper rash at least once. If it was diagnosed last week and you still haven't treated it, I'm not surprised that she's miserable. In future, I'd recommend treating with lotrimin (it's otc) any diaper rash that doesn't respond to a regular diaper creme.

The doctor told me to wait a few days and someone on the board recommended a mix of monistat, desitin and maalox. I used that, thinking it would treat it

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My poor nursing baby had terrible rashes until I realized they were being caused by the dairy *I* was consuming. Have you tried eliminating dairy from *your* diet? Also, orange juice can be equally as damaging.

I hadn't eliminated dairy, but I will be starting. I don't drink it often, but I've had it her whole life and it hasn't been a problem. It never occurred to me that I needed to. I will be giving up lots of things for the next week or so, hopefully all that will help.

Flannel makes great baby wipes, but I would stick with rinsing while she is in so much pain. Poor thing! My second dd was allergic to disposable diapers. Whenever she used one (any brand), she'd get a shiny, red bum. Cloth was better for her.

People have given lots of suggestions already. I can't believe it's taking the pharmacy so long to fill that prescription! I hope it helps her quickly.

It's Walmart. Nuff said. :glare: Apparently they didn't have enough for the whole thing either, so if it doesn't work quickly and thoroughly, we'll have to go back for more. At least it was covered, that's a relief

My dd has eczema and she had diaper rash horribly as a baby. There were a few things we did that helped. She was in cloth anyhow, so we used disposables at night. It was not a yeast rash, btw. I had to switch detergents for not only her diapers but all her clothes as well, no wipes, just cloths or even running water and patting dry at times. Maalox antacid dabbed onto the rash helped and sometimes using an antibiotic cream can help as well if you suspect the rash could be infected. None of the zinc creams worked for her. No soaps in the bath either. We finally figured out once she was on regular food that her eczema flared badly when she drank milk or soy, she was probably reacting to it on my milk while in diapers.

It is. Eczema can have bacterial infections with it- have you heard of regular bleach baths to help prevent problems?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eczema-bleach-bath/AN02003

I remember coming across the idea when researching eczema after Digby was diagnosed with it. Digby's is worse than hers, maybe I'll try it on him. Hers is generally not very bad, just a few patches of dry skin that feels different from the rest. I can keep it under control with lotion. Do you only do it when they have a flare up?

Lansinoh *lanolin* (not just the zinc stuff) is a miracle. Target and Walmart sell it.

Slather it on. My youngest is 12 and i still buy it. We all use it at night around our nostrils and lips when we have bad colds. It offers a thick & protective coating that heals and soothes.

I have used it on a chicken wounds, even. That stuff is amazing.

If you can't find that, try your local health food store for lanolin.

Edited by LibraryLover

Try A&D layered with the Mylanta. My kids were ALLERGIC and still are to zinc oxide which is in most diaper rash creams (and sunscreens...yay us!).

Zinc Oxide made all of my babies rashes worse. It would literally burn my dd's skin and she screamed bloody murder. I switched to, I think the A&D regular cream. I wonder if this is just an age thing because my older dd started getting terrible rashes around 9 months and battled them off an on until she potty trained at 20 months. My other dd got them around the same age too but not quite as bad. She wore cloth though and I had figured the creams out by then.

Your poor baby! When dd was like this once, the only solution was to go diaper free for a few days. Just get a pile of old towels to hold under her when you carry her, or to put under her when she is on the floor, and wear old clothes. Plastic sheets will be needed for carpets or mattresses.

We also briefly used an over-the-counter cortisone cream, which helped a lot. This was on the advise of the pharmacist, so talk to someone before you try it.

Hope you get through this as quickly as possible...