Menu

Computer-based Latin program besides Rosetta Stone

Surfside Academy

I've finally admitted to myself that I really dislike teaching foreign language so I'm trying to a computer-based Latin program. I've looked at Rosetta Stone but it seems more conversational than I'd want. I'd like something that they could do independently and hopefully doesn't cost a fortune.

We're used Prima Latina along with the videos but it was not a hit in our household (though I think it's a fine program.)

Any suggestions?

I am enjoying working through Latin Alive with the DVDs. I think a motivated 5th grader could do it on their own. Working through it is making it easy for me to teach Latin for Children to my daughter without the CDs or DVDs for that, and when she is older she can work through Latin Alive with the DVDs, I bought an extra student book.

There's also Looking at Latin Online, which has many practice exercises that go along with a printed grammar book. We have the book (which is very appealing for highly visual folks), but haven't used the web site. I'm not sure if it would work as a stand-alone program or not. They do offer a 7-day free trial, if you're interested.

PowerSpeak (formerly PowerGlide) also has online Latin courses. I've looked at the demo lessons for the elementary course, and they were very fluffy IMO. Not sure about the middle and high school courses.

Of the programs I've seen, I think Artes Latinae is probably your best bet. (ETA: They currently have a special offer for $178 for the complete level 1 package. Not sure if that's as good as the price Sharon in Austin is referring to.)

Edited by Eleanor