Menu

Need extra Chemistry problems

Dd is using Apologia Chemistry this year. She is on module 5 and struggling. She takes it at a co-op and is getting help, but I finally sat down with her last night and realized that she isn't spending enough time prior to the test working through the On Your Own sections. Consequently, at the last minute she finds herself stuck and unable to do the problems.

I am going to start sitting down with her and going over the word problems and On Your Own questions. However, one thing I noticed is that there aren't many of the same type of problems for practice. Since many of the problems are math oriented and are word problems, I would like her to have several of the same type to do for practice. Much like she might if she were doing a math lesson.

Any ideas on where I could find extra problems like those in her book? I tried goggling, but didn't quite find what I wanted.

I don't have a recommendation either, but thought this same thing last year when my son was doing Apologia Chemistry. Next year the last one will be doing chemistry, so I hope someone has some good suggestions! I am wishing that Apologia will put out a "supplemental, extra problems, workbook" or something that will go right along with the text. About 10 of each type of problem would probably do...:001_smile:

Just remembered, I did see a book at the bookstore that was called the Humongous Book of Calculus Problems...I wonder if there is one for chemistry?

I'm going now to Amazon to look it up...

Kirsten

Edited by Kirsten in MO
sloppy wording

Are you talking about the high school level one that I see in the catalog? I've been on the fence about buying that. How does that line up with the Apologia? (Haven't I seen a thread here about this very topic? Off to search the board...)

We bought the TC Chemistry highschool lectures, and I must admit that this is the first time I am disappointed in a TC course.

The course is not a stand alone course, but dwells on only a few select topics, primarily ones where there is mathematical problem solving. It may be a good resource for a student who is struggling in chemistry or who is scared of chemistry. It is not a suitable course for a strong chemistry student, as the slow pace and many repetitions will drive such a student crazy. OTOH, if the student needs lots of encouragement, three lectures of pep talks that chemistry is not so hard, and step-by-step slow problem solving, this may be exactly the right thing. (Judging from the popularity of the course, it serves this purpose very well.)

We have since abandoned the TC course and find Khan academy a very valuable source.

To the OP: I am not familiar with Apologia, but my guess would be Module 5 is stoichiometry and mole problems? Then it may not be more problems you student needs, but a thorough understanding of one problem - and the understanding that all stoichiometry problems are, at the core, one and the same. The professor in the TC lectures does an excellent job getting this point across and reducing the huge number of seemingly "different" problems to one. Once the student understands that they are all one and the same and understands exactly what is going on, there will be no more need for drill.

I have had this book in my wish list for a while in case we need it, but we've decided to go the AP route and have plenty of problems just in our textbook, plus a couple other text I found at GoodWill and AP-specific worksheets from Adrian Dingle.

Originally I was only planning to have ds16 do AP, but ds(almost)14 wants to as well, so I am going to run with whatever self-motivated academic behavior I can get. :) Previously, ds(almost)14 was only interested in the AP Comp Sci exam and was good about math because he needs it for programming, lol.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Will look at the books mentioned to see if they might work. I like the Yahoo group suggestion. I definitely will check that out.

Yes, she is working on stoichiometry and mole problems. She should actually be on module 6, but I had her go back and review module 5 due to a poor score on her test.

I would like even a few extra problems. It seems that I or her co-op teacher can walk her through a problem and she does okay. However, when she gets to the test she goes blank.

The Apologia Yahoo group has files which contain worksheets created by a Christian school teacher for all the modules. She also uploaded the answer key to each worksheet. I have been using these with my dd.

Could you post a link to the group? Is it the Chemistry-specific group, Apologia as a whole, or??

Thank you!

The Apologia Yahoo group has files which contain worksheets created by a Christian school teacher for all the modules. She also uploaded the answer key to each worksheet. I have been using these with my dd.

:iagree:

We use the same worksheets - they are quite thorough and have all of the step by step procedures for extra practice.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Apologia_Science/?yguid=189057317

Edited by tex-mex

Today, my boys are making their own problem...finding the theoretic molarity of hardware store muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) labeled as 31.45% by measuring the density and calculating, then working out the dilution to make up a stock solution of 1 M HCL.

I am trying not to have a heart attack, while patiently reminding them to wear acid resistant gloves whenever they handle chemicals even if they take them off to write, to always add acid to water (not vice versa), and providing advice on where their calculations initially went wrong.

It's not a scheduled lab day, sigh. And now, they are neutralizing the remaining acid for fun. It's baking soda and vinegar on steroids, lol. (Fortunately, no red food coloring for this beaker-volcano!)

Dd is using Apologia Chemistry this year. She is on module 5 and struggling. She takes it at a co-op and is getting help, but I finally sat down with her last night and realized that she isn't spending enough time prior to the test working through the On Your Own sections. Consequently, at the last minute she finds herself stuck and unable to do the problems.

I am going to start sitting down with her and going over the word problems and On Your Own questions. However, one thing I noticed is that there aren't many of the same type of problems for practice. Since many of the problems are math oriented and are word problems, I would like her to have several of the same type to do for practice. Much like she might if she were doing a math lesson.

Any ideas on where I could find extra problems like those in her book? I tried goggling, but didn't quite find what I wanted.

I'm assuming you've had her do the extra practice problems in the back of the book (Appendix B)...