Menu

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Kits??

Great, thanks! I *am* wondering something. My dc haven't had much science so since they are older (3rd & 4th) I thought I might buy Life AND Earth & Space for this year. Do you think it's doable? I'm concerned with not being able to do certain projects due to the weather (butterflies for example). Am I going to have to do several projects out of order because I'm starting later in the year? What are your thoughts? :)

I'm doing Life with my 1st grader, and we could definitely move more quickly if we wanted, so I don't think there would be a problem with it. I haven't done Earth and Space yet, but I'm guessing you could probably fit them both in. We do science 1-2 days/week, so I think if you did 4 days it would work (but you might even be able to do less days depending on how long per day).

I, too, think you could fit both into a year. Or you could make it a long year, just extend it slightly.

Life goes very quickly, and for my science lover, it's not quite enough. We've been supplementing with the Happy Scientist and the Inquisikids DVDs, and lots of reading on rabbit trails. But I think you could easily add in Earth and Space, instead.

I bought the kit from Home Science Tools for RSO Earth and Space. It has most of the needed supplies, but is missing some things that I wasn't expecting. Nothing that is that hard to find, but just annoying stuff (like a paper plate...I had to buy 200 paper plates just to get one). It is helpful not to have to find every.single.thing though! I recommend it.

I sort of bought the kit for Earth and Space. There is a way to look at what is included in the kit at Home Science Tools. I did so and then was able to add items individually. It did involve searching for the item at Home Science Tools and then putting it in my shopping basket. I didn't find it difficult or annoying. This isn't my first time at teaching elementary science so I have lots of stuff around the house. Things like balloons I have in the house. A cup of sand is in the sand box, gravel is in the driveway, I have about 25 meter sticks etc.

So, I suggest you look at the kit ahead of time and see if you have any sitting around your house...and put it aside so you don't lose it :lol: It might save you some cash.

But, for things wouldn't have, like a roll of adding machine tape or a pair of binoculars at a decent price, it was wonderful to have Home Science Tools.

Perhaps we are not in with the masses, but if you read the selections as indicated and completely do the expirements and documentation ... I would say that you could not fit them both inside one year. Earth and Space took us a full year, and we barely made it. :) You would need to rush through 2 weeks worth of work.