Menu

Safest cities in Coastal North Carolina?

I'm thinking of taking a vacation there soon, scouting out the areas. Can anybody tell me the safest towns in Coastal North Carolina? I just requested Brunswick Islands and Crystal Coast vacation guides.

:bigear:

ETA: I should add that by safety I mean crime-wise. I'll be scouting for possible future place to live, and safety is a priority. I live in an area of very low crime right now, under 100. We'd like to keep it that way.

Edited by sagira

Not only to bump it for you but also to ask for clarification...safest from what? Hurricanes? Crime?

Yeah. I need clarification too.

If you're thinking hurricanes, then go now through May. They are all safe. Although, technically, I think hurricane season ends the end of November.

I can't help you with crime though. I have felt safe every time I've gone to the coast. I've stayed at Emerald Isle and on Hatteras Island in Avon. I run first thing in the morning and felt fine going by myself both places.

We absolutely love love love Pleasure Island outside of Wilmington. We stay at Carolina Beach. It is very quiet and quaint. There are lots of little shops and great restaurants, and it's close to Wilmington (about 20 minutes), which is a really cool city full of history! You can also ride the ferry from the island over to Southport, which is just so much fun.

We've been several times, but this year we really got to know the area. I would love to live there, but then again, we don't want to leave the mountains. :001_smile:

Let me know if you want more info!

We absolutely love love love Pleasure Island outside of Wilmington. We stay at Carolina Beach. It is very quiet and quaint. There are lots of little shops and great restaurants, and it's close to Wilmington (about 20 minutes), which is a really cool city full of history! You can also ride the ferry from the island over to Southport, which is just so much fun.

We've been several times, but this year we really got to know the area. I would love to live there, but then again, we don't want to leave the mountains. :001_smile:

Let me know if you want more info!

Thanks! We're looking into either moving full time to coastal NC or staying here in FL and living for a few months a year in the Western Carolina mountains - closer to Asheville. BTW, these plans are years ahead. Right now we can and will just visit. I haven't visited any of these places yet, but I can't explain it, the whole area "calls me", if you will. I wouldn't be able to stand very cold winters, so winters in the mountains are out. Hence, the coastal NC idea. My dh loves to be close to the ocean.

I grew up in Carteret County (the "Crystal Coast" you mentioned). Are you looking for a town or rural environment? For a really charming (and safe) town, I recommend Beaufort (pronounced Bo-fert, not Bu-fert). It's very historic, has a very walkable downtown and waterfront, and nice places to stay and eat. For rural area, head NE of Beaufort to the Down East area. That's where I grew up, and though I'm admittedly biased, if you're looking for quiet and beauty, you'll find it. Though Harkers Island has had a lot of development the past several years...still a neat place! If you keep going east on Highway 70, you'll end up at Cedar Island and can take the ferry over to Ocracoke (southern Outer Banks).

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

I grew up in Carteret County (the "Crystal Coast" you mentioned). Are you looking for a town or rural environment? For a really charming (and safe) town, I recommend Beaufort (pronounced Bo-fert, not Bu-fert). It's very historic, has a very walkable downtown and waterfront, and nice places to stay and eat. For rural area, head NE of Beaufort to the Down East area. That's where I grew up, and though I'm admittedly biased, if you're looking for quiet and beauty, you'll find it. Though Harkers Island has had a lot of development the past several years...still a neat place! If you keep going east on Highway 70, you'll end up at Cedar Island and can take the ferry over to Ocracoke (southern Outer Banks).

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Either small town or semi rural is fine. Thanks, very helpful :)

Love Oak Island. 2 of my sisters bought homes there to retire there. They hunted for years before deciding on Oak I.

Thank you! It looks like I have quite a few options to look into. I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions :)