Menu

The new Kindles in the stores soon.....

I noticed in yesterday's ads that some stores are saying they will have the new Kindles on the 16th or so. But, Amazon is still saying they will ship in 8 or 9 days. Is there any reason why it would be better to order directly from Amazon, as opposed to picking one up at Best Buy or Office Depot and getting it sooner?

Most people who pre-ordered one of the new Kindles are getting emails telling them that they'll be shipping earlier than expected. I think they'll end up at people's doors about the same time as they show up in stores. I ordered one the day after the announcement about the new Kindles. My original delivery date was Nov. 23. I woke up to an email this morning telling me it will be here Nov. 17. I imagine people who ordered theirs sooner than I did will get their Kindles before me.

Why buy from Amazon? Well, the 30 day no questions asked return policy only applies if you bought it from them. If you buy it in a store, you return it to the store and abide by the store's return policy (and pay a restocking fee if they have one). After 30 days though, you can return it to Amazon if there's a problem. I called them 8 months after I bought my Kindle 3 at Target, to tell them the keys were fading. They had a new Kindle at my doorstep in 2 days and gave me a return shipping label for the defective one.

Stores probably are only getting a certain number, so unless you're there when the store opens, you could miss out and have to wait until whenever they get more.

I bought my Kindle in a store, but ordered a Kindle Touch for ds through Amazon, so I don't have a preference. Amazon will stand behind it's product and has great customer service, so it's hard to go wrong either way.

Thanks, Kathy. I think I will go ahead and order it on Amazon. I don't want to count on getting one in the store and have them sold out before I get there. I am getting the Touch, too.

I don't know what the delivery date is if you order it now. Most of us who are getting them this week and next, pre-ordered back in September or early October.

You also save money by not paying tax. I'm still not sure why there are no taxes. Anyone know?

You only pay sales tax on online purchases when the retailer has a store in your state. Amazon doesn't have stores, so there is no sales tax. Technically, you are supposed to pay sales tax on your income tax return when you buy taxable items, but pay no sales tax or tax to another state on purchases.