Menu

Has anyone used Young Women of Faith books?

chai

I have been searching for something a little different for our morning Bible/devotional time. We've been using Kay Arthur's Discover 4 Yourself series, but we need a break. I saw these books on Amazon and they get great reviews. The non-fiction books look like they would start some great discussions. I'd probably get the fiction books too, but there are so many! There is also a Young Women of Faith NIV Bible.

Has anyone here used them? What do you think of using them for our Bible time? It's obviously not hard-core Bible study, but we'll go back to that with Arthur's series. Do the books have any type of denominational slant? Do they have any depth?

We own almost all of these and my older daughters really liked them when they were 10-12 or so. I will probably be reading them with my next daughter when she hits 11.

The books assume that the girls are in school and there is a lot of advice on friendship - sensible stuff. I don't recall any mention of courtship but they have a very sensible pov about boys - girls who are young enough to read these books are too young for boys, if ykwim! The attitude towards parental authority is pretty good - not harsh, you know, just firm.

They were fun reading and occasionally led to some good discussions, especially the sections on tattoos and piercings, makeup and clothing. I did not notice any denominational slants. In depth, they are like Focus on the Family's magazine Brio.

I never thought of using one as a Bible Study (at that age my girls also did several Kay Arthur studies - now they just read) - it would be like the difference between topical and expository preaching, maybe. OK for a while and then you're glad to get back to the meat!

HTH!

ETA: This is for the non-fiction books, not the Lily books, right? I did not care for the fiction books with Lily - dopey and formulaic and Lily is so annoying.

Thanks Liza,

This was very helpful. I was wondering if the fiction books would be any good. The book descriptions make it sound like the fiction and non-fiction books are paired up and would have to go together.

Which of the books have you used? I think I counted 12 of them. I am most interested in the ones that cover virtues. Have you used the Bible?

Chai - I spoke with my 15yo and this is what she told me. The Lily books are not well-written and are probably not worth your money but they are not actually *bad* books. The non-fiction books stand on their own and these are the ones she thinks could be turned into a good study -

The Walk-the-Walk Book

The It's My Life Book

The Values and Virtues Book

The next three could also be used for a study but don't have as much Scriptural content to draw from -

The Blurry Rules Book

The Uniquely Me Book

The Beauty Book

The others, she thinks, would not lend themselves well to a Bible Study but would still be worth reading for fun -

The Body Book

The Buddy Book

The Best Bash Book

The Creativity Book

There are two more that we do not own. And we have not used the Bible - the NIV is all right but my husband and I prefer the ESV so that is what we read as a family. Well, not the younger ones yet, but you know what I mean!

If you decide to try them, let me know how it goes. This may be a good thing for me to do with my younger daughter!

I wish that I could give you more rep! I'm so grateful for your daughter's advice! The lists are really helpful. I think I'll try one of the first three and see how it goes.

I'm not a big fan of NIV either, but if the Bible study is good enough, I'd use it. Since all of my plans for the day have been canceled due to rain :glare:, maybe I'll run over to the local Christian bookstore and take a look at them.