Menu

Amazon Affiliate Program

1. From what I understand, you set up an account, recommend a book or make a book list or whatever on your blog, link that to Amazon, & then you get commission from people who follow your link. Yes?

2. When signing up for an account, there is a choice to have payments sent to you or "someone else." Since there are a couple of states in which the affiliate program doesn't operate, I assume this option is a way around that for residents of those states. But...well, honestly, while that would be nice, it seems a little like tax evasion to me. But would it be Amazon or the individual on the hook? Nevermind, I know who has the lawyers. :lol:

Anything else? :bigear:

You only get credit when people purchase. I don't know all the details, but it's not a huge money maker unless a lot of people are clicking through and buying.

I'll be honest, I've made more money in the last month using swagbucks. You earn points you can use to buy amazon gift cards (and more). But that is based upon your own effort, mostly, while the affiliate program is based upon sales.

BTW, you can't get affiliate credit for your own purchases.

I have my bookstore linked in my signature. I need to update it, but it was fun to set up.

You only get credit when people purchase. I don't know all the details, but it's not a huge money maker unless a lot of people are clicking through and buying.

I'll be honest, I've made more money in the last month using swagbucks. You earn points you can use to buy amazon gift cards (and more). But that is based upon your own effort, mostly, while the affiliate program is based upon sales.

BTW, you can't get affiliate credit for your own purchases.

I have my bookstore linked in my signature. I need to update it, but it was fun to set up.

Well, I live in a state that doesn't allow it--sales tax & all. I'm wondering what the purpose of having an "alternate payee" is OTHER than to get around that. My family is all out of state, in a state that allows it, so...if that's really legal, it would be awfully simple to just put a different address in. But...it's one of those things that...doesn't seem like a very good idea, that will somehow be more of a headache (at best) in the end.

But on the off chance that I'm wrong about that, I thought I'd see if anyone else knows/has experience w/ alternate payees. Or moving. ;)