Menu

Can't decide between Zaccaro's Challenge Math and Kitchen Table Math (AOPS)

my2boysteacher

I can't tell you anything about Challenge Math, but AOPS Kitchen Table Math Series IMO would be geared toward younger students. There are no problems, only text with explanation of concepts and how to teach them. I happen to love it, but my boys are second grade level.

I can't tell you anything about Challenge Math, but AOPS Kitchen Table Math Series IMO would be geared toward younger students. There are no problems, only text with explanation of concepts and how to teach them. I happen to love it, but my boys are second grade level.

What level are you using? I thought the third level was supposed to be more challenging. :confused:

So far we've been using the second book. Chapter one introduces Equations and Inequalities (gently), Chapter 2 is Word Problems, 3 is Reasoning (sorting and classifying), 4 is Probability and Counting, 5 is Statistics and Graphing, 6 is Geometry, 7 is Measuring, 8 is Money, 9 is Manipulatives, 10 is Learning Games and Activities, 11 is Resources.

I don't know if those would be challenging for your age students. Again, you would have to make problems up yourself. There are examples and suggestions.

You'd just have to look at it and see if it would fit your needs. I was planning on using it toward fourth grade.

I use the Kitchen Table Math series. I'm trying to remember the age recommendations. I think Book 1 is ages 2-8. Books 2 and 3 are ages 8-12. I *think* it goes all the way to pre-algebra.

There's stuff in there that I didn't know. I've been learning with the kids sometimes!

You have to know that KTM basically explains the math behind something and then you can teach it to your student. It's not written to the student or anything. I could see how it would even be a good reference in case you got stuck in your regular math program.