Menu

Lactose Intolerance

Tiramisu

Well, dd has been off dairy for exactly one week, and we've seen an amazing difference. The nausea that's been bothering her for two years is simply gone. Wow!

Now what do we do? Is it important to be completely dairy free or do we test to see how much she can tolerate? I'd be happy to have her never touch dairy again, but if she wants to really have something, should I make a big deal about it? I wouldn't be against have a piece of ice cream cake at a birthday party or frozen custard on the boardwalk in the summer, for example, but I'd prefer not having dairy on a regular basis.

It makes sense that if it's something that's making her feel sick, it's probably better for her body overall to simply eliminate it from her regular diet.

And what about Lactaid? Is no milk better?

Well like Izumi said, it would be nice to know if it's the lactose or the protein. I keep mentioning this, but Houston Enzymes makes really fine enzymes for those times when you want to eat something you know you shouldn't. They specifically have some that are great for the milk protein. My kids and I have been taking them the last few months when we get into milk, and they've made a RADICAL difference for us. I'm not saying someone with anaphylactic reactions will be able to drink milk. We just had these nagging, bizarre symptoms that we knew were correlated to dairy. We don't use dairy on a regular basis, but we wanted to be able to have it on occasion without those symptoms. For us, the enzymes are filling that gap.

Dr. Houston will actually send you a significant sample (30 capsules?) if you email him. It let us all try them for several weeks to know whether or not they would help.

I have to 2nd the Houston Enzymes.. We use TriEnza.. It takes care of everything.. gluten, casein, lactose, soy, phenols, etc. I only give it to my daughters when they have the occasional dairy or soy. Very small amounts of dairy or soy (like an ingredient on a box or some salad dressing, etc.). We never drink milk or eat dairy ice cream, etc. unless we're at a party. We also never consume gluten no matter what. Not even at parties and not even with enzymes.. Gluten is evil in our family.

And you might be interested to know that most people who are lactose intolerant are also gluten intolerant. The gluten intolerance causes the lactose intolerance. Google it for more info. Glad the dairy free is working out for you!

I've got to check on those Houston Enzymes.

Besides the one dd who is having relief from the nausea, another dd seems a bit calmer. I wonder if it's the reduction of milk protein that could be having a positive effect. For that reason alone, I'd like to keep dairy to a minimum.

Is casein like gluten in that you really have to cut it out completely or will just a substantial reduction work?

Well if you read the Gut Psychology Syndrome book, it's something about the milk protein morphing into something else (bad) when it doesn't digest right, which is what causes the horrible behaviors. I also saw somewhere a discussion of a gene missing for the production of the enzyme for the milk digestion. So basically I've given up and give the enzyme no matter what. If it's just a dash I just am doing some chewable bromelain enzymes. Otherwise, the proper ones.

Go totally lactose free. Often when you experiment with how much you can "tolerate" you end up living with discomfort and you don't even know it because you're so used to being uncomfortable. Give your kid a chance to feel really, REALLY good for at least several months before you experiment any more. I'd say never to experiment, though.