Menu

Female Content: Loooong cycles?

I had Mirena removed not this past July, but the one before it. It took a little while for me to have a period off Mirena. Then I settled into a fairly regular monthly cycle, plus it was very short and pretty light.

Well, my last cycle was sometime in September. I AM NOT PREGNANT! But I didn't have a period in October and we're halfway through November with nothing. I am moody and my stomach just feels upset, like I might be sick at any minute.

I don't suppose there's any natural/herbal way to kick-start a period, is there? I just wish it would start and then maybe I wouldn't feel so sick.

I have had extremely long cycles in the past, before I had the girls. Could my body be reverting to that?

Sorry for TMI, but I had to ask someone!

I had Mirena removed not this past July, but the one before it. It took a little while for me to have a period off Mirena. Then I settled into a fairly regular monthly cycle, plus it was very short and pretty light.

Well, my last cycle was sometime in September. I AM NOT PREGNANT! But I didn't have a period in October and we're halfway through November with nothing. I am moody and my stomach just feels upset, like I might be sick at any minute.

I don't suppose there's any natural/herbal way to kick-start a period, is there? I just wish it would start and then maybe I wouldn't feel so sick.

I have had extremely long cycles in the past, before I had the girls. Could my body be reverting to that?

Sorry for TMI, but I had to ask someone!

I don't have much help for you. I'm sorry that you have been having problems.

- It took me a couple months to get a positive pregnancy test with my youngest. But he measured accurate to my dates.

- Black Cohosh is supposed to induce a cycle, but I don't know anything about dosage. My cousin used to use it some a few years ago.

- My cycles have been off as well, I had my tubes tied after I had my youngest. Ever since then they have been very sporatic.

Well, I don't exactly have an answer for you, but I can commisserate. I have never had the Mirena, so I don't know how that factors into things.

My long cycles are the result of PCOS, but there are times when I am extremely regular, and then all of a sudden I won't have a cycle for 3 months. I am currently in that situation, and I also feel extremely moody, though not sick to my stomach. However, my weight tends to fluctuate quite a bit and the more weight I'm carrying, the further apart my cycles get.

I'm all ears for the herbal suggestion if anyone else has one, but I know for myself it's more about my diet, and cutting back on sugar. That usually puts my insulin resistance issues to rest for a while and lets my body get back on track.

Sorry I'm not more help, but I wanted to chime in.

Sure, why not?

My history of long cycles is due to PCOS, and I have no doubt they would return the same way if I had the Mirena removed (I'm not having cycles on the Mirena anyway).

I had long cycles due to not ovulating after coming off hormonal birth control. Given you had them before I'd be inclined to think something like PCOS and the hormones were regulating the cycle. Without them I'd expect to revert.

The doctor did progesterone for me to get a cycle started. I don't know if natural progesterone (say 14 days or 7 even and then stop maybe) would work or not.

I grew up in a family of women where everyone had their 'parts' removed by the time they were in their late 20s. So far I am 38 and still have mine (fingers crossed). Initially as a teen and in my twenties I had to contend with very heavy cycles, migraine headaches, moodiness and bad cramps. When I was diagnosed as a celiac 9 years ago, I was working with an ND that also looked into my hormones. Turns out I wasn't very good at detoxing hormones and therefore the second half of my cycles were horrible. She started me on Indole 3 Carbinole (an enzyme taken from the cruciferous vegetable family - broccoli, etc) and after taking it for a full cycle I didn't even feel my cycles coming on.. certainly not to the extent that I had in the past. I have been taking Indole for years now.. one tablet twice a day.. and my cycles are fairly short, very regular and don't instill in my body a need to come completely undone every two weeks. How indole works is that it gives your liver what it needs to detox estrogen and change its form from a 'bad' kind into a good kind that would be able to be excreted out of the body. If you personally don't create enough of these enzymes on your own then you end up with a clogged pipe and those bad versions of estrogen get stored in your tissues. Anyway, it's worked for me.. It's by Thorne Research and called Indole 3 carbinole.