Menu

What do your dh's do on the weekends?

Or, if he works on the weekends, when he is off work?

Mine hates the weekends because he is so bored. He spends almost all of his time watching TV, playing games on his phone, or finding funny ringtones. By Sunday he is going crazy (and driving the rest of us crazy, too!:tongue_smilie:) There is nothing he wants to do (or at least nothing he can think of.)

So, what does your dh do? Does he have hobbies? Work on projects? Do things as a family? (If so, what do you do together?) Hang out with friends?

Just looking for ideas!

Mow the lawn.

Fix things around the house.

Work in the yard (he loves to be outside).

Take the kids to various events (fencing lessons, Awana club).

Go to church.

Chit-chat with the neighbors.

Read a book.

Go for a bike ride.

My husband is always moving though.

First, there are *always* chores that need to be done. Right now my DH is grocery shopping.

He also cooks on weekends.

He has returned to school and so has homework to do weekends.

Yard work, taking the recycling to the recycling plant, fixing odds and ends around the house, etc. as all those are never ending.

Saturday mornings he usually takes the boys to karate.

Some weekends we visit family. Sometimes we do other family outings. Sometimes we go shopping.

He and the boys also do the majority of gardening on the weekends.

Then in the evenings we watch a movie and drink wine.

My dh works outside. We recently bought a fixer-upper that had been vacant for a long time. The outside is VERY overgrown. We got chickens this summer which required a coop being built. Basically, he's outside every minute he possibly can. That's what he loves!

It was more difficult when we lived in a neighborhood. Our yard was the size of a postage stamp. It didn't take very long to do the yard and what little upkeep there was on the outside. He's much happier in the country.

My dh works outside. We recently bought a fixer-upper that had been vacant for a long time. The outside is VERY overgrown. We got chickens this summer which required a coop being built. Basically, he's outside every minute he possibly can. That's what he loves!

It was more difficult when we lived in a neighborhood. Our yard was the size of a postage stamp. It didn't take very long to do the yard and what little upkeep there was on the outside. He's much happier in the country.

My dh was much happier in the country, too. We live in a rental, so no major renovation/repairs here. The boys do all of the yard work and clean the gutters. No chickens (though he would love to have some!)

It makes me think, though, about conflicting needs. My dc need to be in a neighborhood so they can meet people and have other kids to hang out with. I need to be closer to a city because I do all of the driving (and in less than a year will be commuting to a job.) Dh needs to be in the country because then he'll have more to do.

Not a good combination! :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I am ALWAYS busy and I think that makes him more bored. :lol: I am taking two graduate classes, studying for the CPA exam, homeschooling 5, and taking care of laundry/cleaning/errands, etc. I have LOTS to do every single day, but part of that is that I HATE to be bored. Therefore, I make sure I can't possibly be bored!

Edited by Renee in FL

yard work/household tinkering

watches his car shows, some sports

washes the cars (This takes hours. Did I mention he's a car guy? :lol:)

plays guitar

plays Wii/wrestles/plays ball with the kids

grills dinner

participates in our family outings (He doesn't plan them but he's happy to go along.)

surprises us with doughnuts

takes 1-3 kids for outings (movies, laser tag, car ride, etc.)

takes (totally deserved) naps :D

Mine....

fixes things around the house.

golfs.

takes the dog to the dog park.

takes the boys out (mini-golf, golf, bike ride, to the dog park).

runs errands.

goes grocery shopping.

helps clean the house. Saturday is Family Cleaning Day, so we all pitch in and clean the house top to bottom, dh included. (Ahem. ETA: That should read, "We all, dh included, pitch in and clean the house top to bottom." Sigh.)

mows the lawn and does other yard work.

As a family on the weekends, we hike, go to the beach, bike ride, go for walks, cook together, play games. Saturday is also Family Movie Night, so he gets take-out pizza and we all watch a movie together.

For a while, my dh was bored on the weekends too, and spent most of it doing screens. He still doesn't super-enjoy playing board games, for example, or going for a bike ride just to toot around the neighborhood looking at the leaves. But I kind of dragged him along with the rest of us, and while it's still not the most exciting thing in his world (lol), he does appreciate and see the value and fruit of the time spent together.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

Dh takes the kids to get donuts on Saturday mornings. Lately we have been going to ds's flag football games on Saturday, but those are over for the season now. He takes care of a salt water tank he has. He loves to grill so he might find a new recipe or use and old one to make dinner. Sometimes we all go shopping or just hang around and watch football. We all go to church on Sunday. Dh likes to research various ideas so he is online a bit during the day doing that or catching up on some emails/fb messages from friends. In th evenings sometimes we rent a movie and have a glass of wine. We all enjoy his time off. :D

My dh does the grocery shopping on Saturday morning.

We *try* to do something as a family Saturday afternoon. We might do puzzles, board games, movie, park, bonfire, walking, fishing, anything outside if it is nice enough. Our family time is something we actually have to work at. We are both busy people so we need to force ourselves to take this time.

We go to church Sunday morning and spend the rest of the day working or watching sports. For dh, "working" means mowing, raking, vehicle maintenance, and household projects (he is installing new windows at the moment). We live in the country so there is always something to do.

we live in the country and have a large house and a large barn w/carriage house. We have more projects and work than we do time. I've asked dh before what we would do with all our time if we lived in a neighborhood with a small yard. Honestly, we have so much work to do all the time.

I believe it keeps us young. Today we stained the deck after dh worked on stacking firewood which he previously cut. Yesterday he worked on the firewood all day after he finished painting behind the garage.

He does like to take time to relax and read his chess books, play chess online, and watch movies, but that's only in the evening after he's worked all day. He also loves to cook and bake. Once winter hits and we will be inside, he will spend more time cooking and baking. He's ALWAYS tinkering with something.

We also have a farm with 40 animals. There's always something that needs to be done.

My dh would go absolutely bonkers if he sat around all weeekend.

Mine does:

chores

lots of outdoor stuff (we live in the country and have a lot of animals)

hunts

shoots bows with the kids

goes shopping with us

plays games with the kids

visits family

talks to his friends

My DH stays super busy on the weekends. He either does what we all are doing or finds something to do. He cant sit still

Dh is a workaholic. He usually spends his weekends working. He is in charge of the lawn, but other than that he doesn't do much around the house. He may do a few loads of laundry here or there but not reliably.

In warmer weather, he will go kayaking.

If he has the time, he will go to the cabin (4 hour drive each way). I think he will start doing this more now that he has internet up there, via his phone. Before he could only do limited work up there.

Otherwise he is asleep on the couch or on his phone/computer.

He helps his friends with various projects, but rarely does anything here.

He does chores or home maintenance & gets the kids involved in those. We have family night on Saturday. He cooks, we play a game and/or watch a movie. He takes the kids places for me, we try to go out to lunch once if possible just us, he works out - both cardio & weights. Helps kids with homework/schoolwork or scout work. He also likes to play video games & watch sports. We are never bored here.

I can't even imagine DH not being super busy on nights and weekends. Between yard, home, and car maintenance, volunteer stuff for church, and our numerous outdoor hobbies there has never been time for boredom. I imagine he would be pestering me something awful :lol:

My dh works Sat mornings, but has off from Sat afternoon through Monday. (He works about 50 hours a week.)

He is never bored.

He is such a worker, and always has been, even when our lives were easy, lol. It's just his nature to always be in high gear. Even if we were rich and retired, I am sure he'd always be busy.

He runs. Today was a 2 hour run with me this morning. He runs about three times a week, and usually runs an hour or two on his days off (weekend days plus a half day Thursday).

He plays with the kids. Ball outside. Runs. Board and card games. Reading aloud. He reads to them 30-60 min most days. On the weekends, he plays outside with them a lot.

He works in the yard. Mows. Rakes. Cuts down trees & splits wood. Grows a huge veggie garden. Takes care of the chickens and goats.

He takes care of household tasks (getting car to shop, getting things fixed, fixing things himself when he is able). Today he was on the roof for a while looking for the source of a leak.

He cooks awesome food, especially great desserts. He usually makes a great dinner at least one day on the weekend, and is usually also makes lunches whenever he is home. Pies. Mmm. In the summer/fall, he'll make tomato sauce or juice for the freezer, freeze herbs and pesto, etc.

He reads. Silly books mostly. Maybe an hour or so a few evenings a week, generally weekends.

If I ask him to help, he'll help with household projects (cleaning out the basement, painting something, etc) but these aren't his favorite, lol.

If there are kid activties on the weekends, he does most of the kid hauling for those. We do a *lot* of kid hauling every week, and he takes on 80% of it when he is home since I do 100% of it all the other time.

On Mondays, he is a huge help with schooling and kid hauling. We have a lot of music lessons and gigs on Mondays, and he does at least half the Monday stuff. So, both of us do half the kid stuff Mondays and so we both sort of have a half-day off. Mondays, he usually has 4-5 hours of scheduled kid stuff between SonLight reading to our youngest and kid hauling to lessons, gigs, and scouts in the afternoon/evening. I have a similar 3-4 hours of total kid0-time commitments, but mostly schooling, less of the hauling (as I do all the other days of the week, lol). We each have time to get in a good run, get a couple hours of down time, and the kids get all their stuff done, too.

He naps. As you can see above, he is a busy guy, lol. He loves to take a nap on a weekend day once in a while. He so deserves it.

Yesterday, the two of us went out to breakfast and then did some Christmas shopping and grocery shopping. After we got home he cut up a couple trees, added to the brush pile, helped dd15 set up for a bonfire, watched a little football and part of a movie then took ds9 to his football awards night.

Today he went to church, rearranged the cow's electric fence, burned a brush pile, read some of his book, did some routine straightening and chores, walked the dogs, helped me knead bread and read some more. I figure he'll end the evening by watching more tv.

Mine isn't as active as he was when he was younger. When he was younger he would find so many projects to do until the sun set and then some.

Right now he is preparing for our move. He leaves in just two weeks. Because of that he is trying to get what he needs to do finished.

When not preparing for a move, he does some shopping with the children, goes to the park with them, does some yard work, completes any necessary car maintenance, takes a nap, takes another nap, tries to fit in a third nap, plays a video game, watches a recorded show, pretends he is interested in the football game that I am watching, grills outdoors, etc. Did I mention taking a nap? He loves his naps.

yard work/household tinkering

watches his car shows, some sports

washes the cars (This takes hours. Did I mention he's a car guy? :lol:)

plays guitar

plays Wii/wrestles/plays ball with the kids

grills dinner

participates in our family outings (He doesn't plan them but he's happy to go along.)

surprises us with doughnuts

takes 1-3 kids for outings (movies, laser tag, car ride, etc.)

takes (totally deserved) naps :D

Wish you lived by me so we could get our car/guitar guys together! He doesn't have any friends that share these two particular hobbies...usually one or the other.

Yesterday we had a family outing we were all excited for. Plus some yard work, then football last night. Today we had church, then he watched the Saints game (a win in overtime!!!) and now took off to tackle a few honey-dos for his mom. Took the kids with him so I could tackle a few things on my list in blessed s..i..l..e..n..c..e. Tonight he will watch more football.:D

Usually the weekends in the fall are football, kid stuff, car stuff, house stuff. There always seems to be something to do.

So jealous of everyone who has a DH who does chores or yardwork :glare:

Mine watches tv from the moment he wakes up till he goes to bed.

If he gets bored of that he goes out and spends money we don't have.

I love it when Monday morning arrives and he goes back to work -it's annoying working your butt off while DH is just lounging :glare:

We have a big house, DH's choice, not mine, so he spends a lot of time at the weekend doing general maintenance to make sure we keep on top of things, both inside and out. He loves to be outside. This weekend he's spent a lot of time clearing leaves, having a bonfire, planting bulbs, etc.

He also takes the boys to tennis on Saturday morning and swimming in the afternoon. On Sunday he takes them to Church. He also does Sunday school.

He always makes an hour on a Sunday afternoon to look at the Sunday newspapers.

Neither of us really stop much of a weekend. We also try to get out with the boys as much as we can, walking, to the cinema, to the theatre, bowling.

House projects. We're just finishing the bathroom, and he's talking about staining some shelves for the bookcase, plus we have wood to put in a new floor in our bedroom.

Errands -- Lowe's, the Mexican grocery, other groceries.

Take older dd out to practice driving on the highway.

Take younger dd to climb the wall at the fitness center, and maybe use the pool.

Nap.

Watch a movie.

Play games with kids.

Read a book.

Research stocks. Also, research health issues.

Watch college football. Or basketball. Or pro hockey. Or pro baseball. It depends on the time of year.

Church.

There aren't enough hours in the weekend to fit it all in!

My DH does lots of yard projects and some indoor projects. We always have something. But if you DH doesn't have any natural projects for him, then I would make a list of all your chores that could be done on the weekend (so no daily chore) and ask him to look at the list and let him pick one thing. Make him totally responsible for that chore. Don't help him or tell him how to do it.

Dh generally has work still to do for his primary job. He teaches classes as a second job and is always catching up or planning that. Plus, he coaches a local university team which keeps him busy. Other than that, yard and house maintenance work. Lots of playing with the kids. He does watch football in the fall but he folds loads and loads of laundry while he's watching, so I am quite happy to let him watch away.

I feel for you, though. We had a few months when we first moved when he didn't have much going on and we annoyed each other a lot.

My dh just started a new job two weeks ago, so he's worn out on the weekends. He used to stay busy, but his stamina went downhill this summer (major health issues). So he's slowing down. He's 51, so it's not unexpected.

He cleans the bathroom (I can't use bleach spray and he likes to clean with bleach)

he usually does something in his shop

works on bills

yard work

washes the truck

He sometimes goes to help my parents with their yardwork

Dh's weekend is not over the "weekend." And he works nights. Our lives are just weird, schedule wise. But here's what he does...

For us:

*the laundry

*mows the lawn in summer

*occasionally he tidies up or helps with other chores, but his household things are the garbage, the lawn, and the laundry

*sometimes he runs errands or helps me with household projects (he's not handy himself, but he's good at doing my grunt work when I direct him)

*he also usually takes the kids out for one of those mornings or afternoons and gives me a break

For himself:

*volunteers at a local free preschool and soup kitchen for families in need (he works with the little, little kids)

*does improv (he's part of an improv group)

*goes to the theater (we jointly have season tickets for the Shakespeare Theater, but he individually goes to see things elsewhere too)

*reads, reads, reads

*sleeps

We goof off all weekend. All of us. I LOVE weekends. Kids spend the night at gram and gramps on Friday night and often have kids over there. They live in the same house I did as a young adult and my kids have grown up around them and have their best friends on that street. Sometimes I stay over with them and bring books to lesson plan or a hand sewing project or something. My mom and dad and I catch up and just hang out.

DH plays poker on fri night. We go out on a date a couple times a month on friday, then come home, have a drink and watch a movie or something, then I either go to bed, stay up late sewing, or go sleepover with kids. He goes to poker at like midnight LOL. I don't know how he can sit there that long doing something I feel is so boring. Then he sleeps until about noon on Saturday, and I have no idea what he does after that. Kids spend sat day at grams and I do whatever. Errands, cleaning, that kind of thing. Sat night kids stay up later than usual and we all goof off, and DH acts like a child making if not more mess. Sunday is family day again and he does whatever the kids want at the time and I cook /prepare food for a few days of the week.

DH isn't a fan of chores, and I am pretty active/better at it anyways so I actually take care of almost everything. I do all the yard work and maintenance but I consider it instead of having to work out that day LOL. He sometimes prides himself on unloading the dishwasher but in the end there are so many items left out because he doesn't know wht to do with them. But if I ever at any time asked him to do something he would, so that works for us pretty well.

I know something will change as kids get older but right now I absolutely love every second of our weekends/days in general. We have sacrificed to stay near family and it has worked out in the end, even more so than I ever imagined.

I have to say no one has ever said they are bored here on the weekends!

oh wait: I should ETA to say that the one thing he does is provide us everything we need to live an amazing life while I choose to stay home and school the kids. And he takes care of ALL finances. I have not a clue. He gives me plastic cards and tells me where to use which one and time out for the times I spend too much LOL.

Rides his bike a hundred miles or so.

Makes Sunday lunch and helps with Sunday supper

Runs errands with me

Works on chores with me and the kids

Kids activities

naps

watches football

helps kids with homework

Often we have people over for Sunday dinner. That involves us cleaning up, shopping, and making dinner--right there you have most of the weekend filled up.

I'd sign him up for some activities with the kids. Not literally signing up, but in his mind! Saturdays could be time with Dad at the Nature Center, Art Gallery, hiking, cycling, frisbee, volunteering at soup kitchen or other place. Old movies from his youth he wants to share with the kids on Saturday night. Board games. And really anything to help you out by getting some of the kids out of the house on the weekend! Geocaching? That could be a fun new thing with the kids they could all learn together.

Maybe even having him take over some subject with the kids on the weekend? Or a fun thing for one/some of them to learn with him, such as "bridge building" where they could use fun software and do some models. Maybe some of the snap circuit kind of stuff. Or blow some stuff up? Rocketry? Again, something to help you out and something that will allow the kids to spend more time with him, and keep him from being bored!

ETA: I see you were asking for suggestions, but wanted to know what our dh's do! Sorry! Still hope it might be helpful. My dh spends tons of time in the basement on various projects. Currently building a basketball court in the basement, which the kids are mighty excited about! Basket is a real one, but low enough that some of them can dunk it!

Edited by HeidiKC

My Dh either: works, plays with the kids, does chores, goes fishing (with some of the kids, always), helps me with whatever I needs help with. Sometimes we go out or stay in on real "dates". He's not in town for the next few weeks so we are missing him....

Some Sunday mornings the kids just frolic inside or out and Dh and I just drink coffee and chat. I love mornings like that.

OP--Does DH spend much time doing things with your children? That would seem to be the weekend's primary purpose, regardless of the activity...

I almost forgot--most Saturdays there are several sports games or practices to get the four older kids to, and to watch. Those days we are ships passing on the roads.....

-sleeps in if the cats let him

-works in the yard

-works around the house

-goes on a bike ride

-gets on his computer

-Skypes one of his brothers

-watches tv

-watches movies with us

-tags along on something I've decided we should do

-cooks out on the grill

-works on bills

-goes to Lowe's or Home Depot and spends too much :lol:

Edited by floridamom

Dh is a workaholic. He usually spends his weekends working. He is in charge of the lawn, but other than that he doesn't do much around the house. He may do a few loads of laundry here or there but not reliably.

In warmer weather, he will go kayaking.

If he has the time, he will go to the cabin (4 hour drive each way). I think he will start doing this more now that he has internet up there, via his phone. Before he could only do limited work up there.

Otherwise he is asleep on the couch or on his phone/computer.

He helps his friends with various projects, but rarely does anything here.

Mine works from 7 to 7 M-R so that he can have three day weekends.

On Fridays, he gets up and goes to the gym, runs any errands for things he might need (med refills, dr. appts., food he takes to work for breakfast/snacks, car maintenance, etc.); mows the yard (or rakes leaves at this time of year); does some things around the house (he does the dishes; he often vacuums the first floor), etc. For the past few years, he has generally eaten lunch with us. Sometimes he goes on field trips with us.

On Saturdays, he does those things he didn't have time to get done on Friday. If he didn't go to the gym, he goes now. If he didn't get the yard mowed, he does it now. At this time of year, he's often watching football a lot of the day and/or evening.

For the past few summers, our church has planted a big garden and distributed the food from it to those in need, or taken it to our local God's Pantry. Our family has been practically the only ones who have worked it during the summer; and he worked it pretty much on his own this past summer. He has also volunteered to help with all the yard work on the large piece of property on which our church sits and that's a weekly job, too. He weed-eats the entire property and also often weeds the beds.

On Sundays, we go to church and generally go out to eat, afterward. He may do some shopping if he needs some clothing. He may be watching football again. Today he's currently gone to the gym. He has long-standing back problems, which he has managed very well, avoiding surgery for years, by keeping his weight down and keeping his core strong so that his muscles help him.

Today, we went out to eat, then shopped for a new recliner for him for a little more than an hour, I guess. His is 45 years old and has been recovered so many times that we're told there's not enough wood left in which to stick the tacks, LOL.... He spent most of his day Friday shopping for and purchasing a new car (he looked at them and narrowed down his choices last weekend). He is going to have to start driving back and forth to Baton Rouge more to look after his elderly father and his more than 20 year old truck cannot make that trip....

In the winter months, our church hosts "Room at the Inn" one Sunday evening per month. Homeless men come in to have a meal and spend the night. We send them away with a bag lunch for the next day. Our family shops for and packs those bags, generally on Sunday afternoon.

Generally in the fall, he has to travel to several continuing education seminars in order to keep up his various accounting designations. At least part of that time is generally over a weekend.

He does still find the time to spend a good amount of time in his chair, LOL. As he's getting older, he generally takes a little nap in the afternoon, after lunch. He often uses his laptop to read news, etc. as he's watching TV....

I can't imagine how your husband can have nothing to do if you guys have seven children! Isn't your house full of jobs?

On the weekends, my husband:

- Does laundry

- Cleans

- Helps with the grocery shopping

- Does yardwork

- Takes the kids on outings

- Goes to Home Depot (a perennial favorite!)

- Goes to church

- Does church work (he's president of the Board of Trustees)

- Reads

- Goofs off on the computer

- Sleeps in Saturday morning, and gets up with the kids Sunday morning so I can sleep in.

run

work in the garden

work in the yard

fix stuff in the house (there is always a running honey-do list :001_smile:)

watch the kids swim (if it's a meet weekend)

play with the kids, which could be riding bikes, playing catch, playing bored games (we love Catan, Ticket to Ride, Monopoly, etc...)

watch a movie with me :D

work on bills (his least favorite. :tongue_smilie:)

take a nap!

Things we do every weekend, no matter what:

church

family activity: This could be hiking, going to a museum, going to a park, whatever. We make a point of coming up with something to do every weekend as a family.

have one meal that is not cooked at home

DH and I watch a movie together

Things we usually do on the weekend:

meet up with two of our closest friends

work on our house

Things we often do on the weekend:

visit with family

I think DH would like more hours in the weekend, there's never enough time to get to it all! He does a lot for our family on weekends, and we try to each have some time to do something just for ourselves. In addition to a lot of the above:

"Science Saturday" - he doesn't do it every weekend, but on weekends we have messy experiments planned for the following week, DH takes over science. I love it!

"Art on Sundays" - again, not every weekend, but many... He and DS choose a project from Discovering Great Artists, study the artist, and do it. Or they choose a project after watching TED talks or youtube videos. The most recent was trash art - yes, they took a walk, picked up trash (they wore gloves, and Dad supervised for safety), washed it and made art. We now have framed trash art!

DH works in his studio (music); sometimes starts an on-going, large art project; plays with photoshop; geeks out with his mac; reads blogs; watches TED talks; watches Jamie Oliver for inspiration; cooks amazing Sunday dinners.

He never gets to all of this on one weekend, but generally it's a mix of chores, family time, something creative for his soul, and giving me time for my creativity.

Maybe that will spark some ideas?

We goof off all weekend. All of us. I LOVE weekends. Kids spend the night at gram and gramps on Friday night and often have kids over there. They live in the same house I did as a young adult and my kids have grown up around them and have their best friends on that street. Sometimes I stay over with them and bring books to lesson plan or a hand sewing project or something. My mom and dad and I catch up and just hang out.

DH plays poker on fri night. We go out on a date a couple times a month on friday, then come home, have a drink and watch a movie or something, then I either go to bed, stay up late sewing, or go sleepover with kids. He goes to poker at like midnight LOL. I don't know how he can sit there that long doing something I feel is so boring. Then he sleeps until about noon on Saturday, and I have no idea what he does after that. Kids spend sat day at grams and I do whatever. Errands, cleaning, that kind of thing. Sat night kids stay up later than usual and we all goof off, and DH acts like a child making if not more mess. Sunday is family day again and he does whatever the kids want at the time and I cook /prepare food for a few days of the week.

DH isn't a fan of chores, and I am pretty active/better at it anyways so I actually take care of almost everything. I do all the yard work and maintenance but I consider it instead of having to work out that day LOL. He sometimes prides himself on unloading the dishwasher but in the end there are so many items left out because he doesn't know wht to do with them. But if I ever at any time asked him to do something he would, so that works for us pretty well.

I know something will change as kids get older but right now I absolutely love every second of our weekends/days in general. We have sacrificed to stay near family and it has worked out in the end, even more so than I ever imagined.

I have to say no one has ever said they are bored here on the weekends!

oh wait: I should ETA to say that the one thing he does is provide us everything we need to live an amazing life while I choose to stay home and school the kids. And he takes care of ALL finances. I have not a clue. He gives me plastic cards and tells me where to use which one and time out for the times I spend too much LOL.

I like the way your weekends sound. I especially love the bolded.

"Science Saturday" - he doesn't do it every weekend, but on weekends we have messy experiments planned for the following week, DH takes over science. I love it!

"Art on Sundays" - again, not every weekend, but many... He and DS choose a project from Discovering Great Artists, study the artist, and do it. Or they choose a project after watching TED talks or youtube videos. The most recent was trash art - yes, they took a walk, picked up trash (they wore gloves, and Dad supervised for safety), washed it and made art. We now have framed trash art!

Maybe that will spark some ideas?

Fantastic ideas! We tend to do a lot of hiking, camping, etc. Never thought to make a science or art day. I will def. have to try this.

I'd sign him up for some activities with the kids. Not literally signing up, but in his mind! Saturdays could be time with Dad at the Nature Center, Art Gallery, hiking, cycling, frisbee, volunteering at soup kitchen or other place. Old movies from his youth he wants to share with the kids on Saturday night. Board games. And really anything to help you out by getting some of the kids out of the house on the weekend! Geocaching? That could be a fun new thing with the kids they could all learn together.

Maybe even having him take over some subject with the kids on the weekend? Or a fun thing for one/some of them to learn with him, such as "bridge building" where they could use fun software and do some models. Maybe some of the snap circuit kind of stuff. Or blow some stuff up? Rocketry? Again, something to help you out and something that will allow the kids to spend more time with him, and keep him from being bored!

ETA: I see you were asking for suggestions, but wanted to know what our dh's do! Sorry! Still hope it might be helpful. My dh spends tons of time in the basement on various projects. Currently building a basketball court in the basement, which the kids are mighty excited about! Basket is a real one, but low enough that some of them can dunk it!

Those are really good ideas! I don't think that is what dh is looking for, though. None of that is "up his alley" so to speak. I honestly think he is looking for adult things to do away from home, but he doesn't know what.

I may use some of your ideas as things the dc and I can do together.

I can't imagine how your husband can have nothing to do if you guys have seven children! Isn't your house full of jobs?

You'd think so, huh?:tongue_smilie: He cooks breakfast most Saturdays and Sundays and often dinner at least one of the nights. He'll direct the kids on cleaning and/or give them other jobs to do. I am definitely always busy - I wonder sometimes if my busyness makes him bored.

Unfortunately, dh and I are so busy with us both working full-time and homeschooling during the week that we're stuck using our weekends for errands, housecleaning and yard work.

We do it together though- he doesn't go out and spend the day on the yard while I stay indoors cleaning. We'll decide what needs to be done and do it together.

depends on what work schedule he's on--currently he's working m-f with weekends off.....sometimes he'll have to work nights s-f......most of the time he will go shopping with me....running errands if I have any.....he'll help with chores....play with kiddo/dog.....do the "honey-do-list" if I have any LOL---sometimes he'll go over to a friend's house and watch movies or just "man talk".....but yeah sometimes he can drive me absolutely crazy if he's in a cruddy mood or it's yucky weather and he can't get out and do anything LOL....

Typically, I am working Saturday mornings. Dh takes care of getting our youngest to a special reading tutor and to special olympics and does grocery shopping. When we are all home again mid afternoon, he works on our kitchen repair project, other household repairs or falls asleep "watching" youngest if I have left youngest home to take my other dc to their activities. On Sundays dh goes to work part of the day.

Mine spends a lot of time on his laptop or tablet: Facebook, Twitter, email, games, blogging.

He also works on the weekend at times. He's self-employed and sometimes has billing, remote work, emailing to do. Rarely, he goes to a client's office.

Lately he's been doing work involved with unpacking (we just moved). He has his own stuff work-related stuff to unpack, his desk to put together, computers to put together and get working properly, (wireless isn't reaching DD's computer well), putting away stuff stored in the garage like camping and Christmas, and installing shelves for me after I put a few extra holes in the wall trying.

He sometimes takes DS to taekwondo for class or instructor time. Sometimes he takes the kids out to fun places (children's museum), running errands, or other outings.

We'll watch family movies in the evening on Netflix or Redbox.