Menu

TOG Yr 1 Question

lea1

I have TOG Yr 1 and am planning to use it with my two sons for 1st grade (my first time to use TOG). I have checked our library to see which books they have. Below is the list of books they do NOT have in our library.

Are there any here that you would definitely have not wanted to miss out on with your kids? Also, are there any here that you definitely could have done without (I know some kids don't enjoy coloring; My two sons love to color.) Any other advice is welcome. Thanks!

* A is for Adam Coloring Book; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Lit) - $ 2.65 (Would I need two of these or could I copy the pages?)

* The Ancient Egyptians by Jane Shuter; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Hist) - $6.40

* The Hardest Word by Jacqueline Jules; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Lit) - $7.25 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* The Tower of Babel by Alison Greengard; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Hist) - $10.95 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* Life in Ancient Mexico Coloring Book; Used in Unit 2 for 1 week (Hist) - $3.80 (Copy or order two?)

* The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War by Emily Little; Used in Unit 2 for 2 weeks (Lit) - $3.35 TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* Yeh-Shen by Ai-Ling Louie; Used in Unit 2 for 1 week (Lit) - $6.34 - TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* Usborne's Aeosop's Fables by Anna Milbourne; Used in Unit 3 for 2 weeks (Lit) - $13.60

* Brave Cloelia by Jane Louise Curry; Used in Unit 4 for 1 week (Lit) - $16.05

* Going to War in Roman Times by Moira Butterfield; Used in Unit 4 for 4 weeks - $8.99 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* Peril and Peace by Mindy and Brar Withrow; Used in Unit 4 for 9 weeks (Other) - $7.90 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* The Very First Christians by Paul L. Maier; Used in Unit 4 for 1 week (Lit) - $12.40 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* Old Testament Days by Nancy Sanders; Used in Units 1,2&3 for 20 weeks (Fine Arts) - $14.40 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* Classical Kids by Laurie Carlson; Used in Units 2,3&4 for 20 weeks (Fine Arts) - $13.55 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* Celebrate: A Book of Jewish Holidays by Judith Gross; Used in Units 3&4 for 5 weeks (Hist) - $3.50

I'll try to answer based on our personal experience and give you a bump at the same time :)

I have TOG Yr 1 and am planning to use it with my two sons for 1st grade (my first time to use TOG). I have checked our library to see which books they have. Below is the list of books they do NOT have in our library.

Are there any here that you would definitely have not wanted to miss out on with your kids? Also, are there any here that you definitely could have done without (I know some kids don't enjoy coloring; My two sons love to color.) Any other advice is welcome. Thanks!

* A is for Adam Coloring Book; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Lit) - $ 2.65 (Would I need two of these or could I copy the pages?)

I bought the hardcover but you don't need to. You do have permission (found in the book :)) to copy the pages for your other child(ren). It is only used for one week so you can very easily skip it but Adrian likes it (he likes coloring also) so I sometimes copy pages and he colors them.

* The Ancient Egyptians by Jane Shuter; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Hist) - $6.40

I wouldn't skip this one. We like the Jane Shuter books.

* The Hardest Word by Jacqueline Jules; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Lit) - $7.25 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

We loved this one. Great message too :)!

* The Tower of Babel by Alison Greengard; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Hist) - $10.95 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

You can change this one to a book you may have on your shelf or may have at your library. I changed this one to a pop-up and Adrian loves it, but we are very visual here. I did not do the Hebrew writing activity so you might want to consider it if you intend to.

* Life in Ancient Mexico Coloring Book; Used in Unit 2 for 1 week (Hist) - $3.80 (Copy or order two?)

I wish I had passed on this one :glare:. The Ancient Mexico week does not have enough resources. Thank goodness we are also using SOTW.

* The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War by Emily Little; Used in Unit 2 for 2 weeks (Lit) - $3.35 TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* Yeh-Shen by Ai-Ling Louie; Used in Unit 2 for 1 week (Lit) - $6.34 - TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

Liked this one. Glad we bought it.

* Usborne's Aeosop's Fables by Anna Milbourne; Used in Unit 3 for 2 weeks (Lit) - $13.60

You can use any Aesop Fables books you prefer or can find at your library.

* Going to War in Roman Times by Moira Butterfield; Used in Unit 4 for 4 weeks - $8.99 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* Peril and Peace by Mindy and Brar Withrow; Used in Unit 4 for 9 weeks (Other) - $7.90 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* The Very First Christians by Paul L. Maier; Used in Unit 4 for 1 week (Lit) - $12.40 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

* Old Testament Days by Nancy Sanders; Used in Units 1,2&3 for 20 weeks (Fine Arts) - $14.40 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

You need this for the activities.

* Classical Kids by Laurie Carlson; Used in Units 2,3&4 for 20 weeks (Fine Arts) - $13.55 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted)

You need this for the activities.

* Celebrate: A Book of Jewish Holidays by Judith Gross; Used in Units 3&4 for 5 weeks (Hist) - $3.50

This is helpful for studying the different Jewish Holidays but if you can find something comparable at your library, it is definitely something to consider.

I have all the other books you have listed here also, but since we have not used them yet, I will let someone else answer about those. I hope this helps a bit :).

I used TOG with my dd6 last year. See my comments below.

* A is for Adam Coloring Book; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Lit) - $ 2.65 (Would I need two of these or could I copy the pages?) I did not use the coloring book, but we did read A is for Adam, which I am assuming is the same book without the coloring pages. I did not like this one at all. It takes a rather irreverent young earth position. I felt that it was making fun of those that don't hold to a young earth belief. I want my kids to read things from different points of view, but I do prefer at the LG level that they be respectful of others' beliefs.

* The Ancient Egyptians by Jane Shuter; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Hist) - $6.40 Nothing special about this one. You could easily substitute with another book on the subject.

* The Hardest Word by Jacqueline Jules; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Lit) - $7.25 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted) Loved this one!

* The Tower of Babel by Alison Greengard; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Hist) - $10.95 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted) The interesting thing about this book is that it is bilingual (English/Hebrew). I am glad we read it, but I wouldn't buy it, because I didn't feel that it brought anything special to the Tower of Babel story.

* Life in Ancient Mexico Coloring Book; Used in Unit 2 for 1 week (Hist) - $3.80 (Copy or order two?) Didn't use this one.

* The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War by Emily Little; Used in Unit 2 for 2 weeks (Lit) - $3.35 TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted) This is worth buying, since it is inexpensive and at some point your dc will be able to read this on their own.

* Yeh-Shen by Ai-Ling Louie; Used in Unit 2 for 1 week (Lit) - $6.34 - TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted) Dd loved this one, as it is a version of Cinderella.

* Usborne's Aeosop's Fables by Anna Milbourne; Used in Unit 3 for 2 weeks (Lit) - $13.60 There was a different recommendation for Aesop's fables last year, and I bought it. I am very disappointed that I did, though. It was an expensive and beautiful book that neither of my children cared for. I bought it because I had hoped that it would be better than the various versions that I had looked at when I was considering substituting. But it really wasn't better. I would recommend just substituting.

* Brave Cloelia by Jane Louise Curry; Used in Unit 4 for 1 week (Lit) - $16.05 Dd loved this one! She pretended to be Cloelia for a week and even talked about being Cloelia for Halloween.

* Going to War in Roman Times by Moira Butterfield; Used in Unit 4 for 4 weeks - $8.99 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted) Dd really liked this one, and read it on her own over and over. That said, I thought it was a little weird that she liked it so much, as I thought it was really dry.

* Peril and Peace by Mindy and Brar Withrow; Used in Unit 4 for 9 weeks (Other) - $7.90 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted) We did not read this one.

* The Very First Christians by Paul L. Maier; Used in Unit 4 for 1 week (Lit) - $12.40 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted) This one is totally worth the money, especially if you have boys! It starts out with a boy fishing with his grandfather, which I thought was very endearing.

* Old Testament Days by Nancy Sanders; Used in Units 1,2&3 for 20 weeks (Fine Arts) - $14.40 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted) I could not have done activities without this book. I bought it even though our library did have it, because it is use for so many weeks.

* Classical Kids by Laurie Carlson; Used in Units 2,3&4 for 20 weeks (Fine Arts) - $13.55 (TOG notes that this book is not easily substituted) I could not have done activities without this book. I bought it even though our library did have it, because it is use for so many weeks.

* Celebrate: A Book of Jewish Holidays by Judith Gross; Used in Units 3&4 for 5 weeks (Hist) - $3.50 Dd loved this book so much that I bought it for her after we were done with the unit. She continues to reference it every time she sees a Jewish holiday on the calendar.

* A is for Adam Coloring Book; Used in Unit 1 for 1 week (Lit) - $ 2.65 (Would I need two of these or could I copy the pages?) I did not use the coloring book, but we did read A is for Adam, which I am assuming is the same book without the coloring pages. I did not like this one at all. It takes a rather irreverent young earth position. I felt that it was making fun of those that don't hold to a young earth belief. I want my kids to read things from different points of view, but I do prefer at the LG level that they be respectful of others' beliefs.

Did you use the hardcover like we did? The coloring pages are in the back. We read through the book but I do not recall any issues, even though we are not YE either. Did you use the pages with the student exercises in the middle of the book? I did not bother with those. For Adrian's age it was way below his reading and maturity level compared to the Bible resources we have been using, so it did not warrant anything further than that for us. We did use it last year so perhaps I don't remember if I had to edit something out ;).

The Trojan Horse and Classical Kids are often available at thrift stores and used book stores or even library sales. If you have time I'd check around.

Take a look at which Fables are covered in the lit questions and you could probably substitute any kids version of Aesop that has those.

You could also ask if the librarian could get them via ILL.

Did you use the hardcover like we did? The coloring pages are in the back. We read through the book but I do not recall any issues, even though we are not YE either. Did you use the pages with the student exercises in the middle of the book? I did not bother with those. For Adrian's age it was way below his reading and maturity level compared to the Bible resources we have been using, so it did not warrant anything further than that for us. We did use it last year so perhaps I don't remember if I had to edit something out ;).

We are totally YE, but I can very much understand the feeling of "irreverence" of the book. I did not care for the book's approach at all, and I felt it lowered the legitimate viewpoints of YE to almost a comical level. I purchased the hardback used, but I would definitely substitute with another book if I were to do it again.

We are totally YE, but I can very much understand the feeling of "irreverence" of the book. I did not care for the book's approach at all, and I felt it lowered the legitimate viewpoints of YE to almost a comical level. I purchased the hardback used, but I would definitely substitute with another book if I were to do it again.

OK, I am going to have to go back and read it again ;). I obviously don't remember. Perhaps we didn't bother reading the whole thing? Or perhaps given the alphabet thing (Adrian was over 7 when we used it), I just used it as a coloring book and I don't remember. If you are saying that as someone that is YE, then it is very likely that we didn't read the whole thing and I don't remember. Adrian has colored a few pages from it since but we have not opened it again. Either way, now I have to know, so I am going to have to go back and read it :tongue_smilie:.

OK, I just read it. Yep, now I remember that I did not like the overall cartoony/ comical approach, especially in the front pages. I have to admit, it does have a condescending feel to it.

A is for Adam; God made him from dust.

He wasn't a monkey, he looked just like us.

Although some scientists don't think it was so,

It was God who was there, and He ought to know.

Here's a sample for those considering the book ;). You can find some preview pages on Amazon too.

Thank you both for making me go back and check :). After reading it again, I remembered that we stopped reading part through. It was one book I had not read in advance like I usually do. I don't know how I could have forgotten that! I did select some of the pages for Adrian to color but this too was a while back. He colored about 5 pages I think.

Hmmm, I may just drop it in the book donation box. There are plenty of Bible coloring pages to be found on the Internet for free, without any text, and our current curricula includes much better coloring pages, without the cartoony/ comical feel.

Thank you both again for pointing this out!

We substituted with The Creation by James Weldon Johnson, which is listed as an alternate. I loved this one so much that we ended up buying it later, and it is still a favorite in our house.

Thanks for all of the feedback. It has been very helpful. I am going to skip the coloring pages as I'm sure we can find something that would do elsewhere if we decide we want something to color.

I have made a list of all of the books I will buy and I will be checking our huge used bookstore and also our homeschool curriculum (and books) consignment shop. I'm sure I can find some of them used.

Thanks again for your help!

I borrowed this and didn't like it at all.

Jane Shuter books are good, but at the LG level you can use any book about Ancient Egypt--the ones by Gail Gibbons and The Magic School Bus ones are good.

This was good but any story book about Yom Kippur would do.

We didn't use this and didn't miss it.

We aren't using this either

Have you checked your library for the alternates?

We skipped China bc we did 6 weeks on it last year.

* Usborne's Aeosop's Fables by Anna Milbourne;

Used in Unit 3 for 2 weeks (Lit) - $13.60

There are lots of versions of Aesop's Tales. Use whatever is in your library.

Haven't got this far.

Haven't got this far.

This is a good book but I would check and see if the Dialectic choices are in the library before I bought it.

See above.

Again, I'd check the library for the Dialectic before buying. With both this and the above I would invest only in the D recommendation bc I'd get more out of it.

Anne

I did not do Tapestry with mine when they were this young, but I did want to mention that if they do like to color that Dover Books has tons and tons of history coloring books. The general coloring page is here:

http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-coloring-books-regular-coloring-books-history-coloring.html

I think you could also search on coloring and the time period. These often show up at homeschool conventions, but if you aren't familar with them they could be a big plus. The only thing to be aware of is they are fairly detailed so they might be too much. I also don't think you can copy and share them, but each book usually has enough that you could rip them out and share them.

Again, I'd check the library for the Dialectic before buying. With both this and the above I would invest only in the D recommendation bc I'd get more out of it.

Anne

The OP's kids are only six though!

I was able to find it used on Amazon for a very reasonable price.

That was where I checked. They have some hardcover for as low as 1¢ but they want $12.50 to ship to me :(. I think I'll just wait and see what is on the list when I start it with Malcolm or just substitute to a book of my selection. So far between TOG and SL I have put aside 3 books that I will not be keeping. I have also had to skip lapbook activities and will no longer be getting the TOG lapbooks either.

Edited by Guest

That was where I checked. They have some hardcover for as low as 1¢ but they want $12.50 to ship to me :(. I think I'll just wait and see what is on the list when I start it with Malcolm or just substitute to a book of my selection. So far between TOG and SL I have put aside 3 books that I will not be keeping. I have also had to skip lapbook activities and will no longer be getting the lapbooks either.

I think you need to set up a P.O Box in the US and just drive down here to get your books once in a while!:lol:

I think you need to set up a P.O Box in the US and just drive down here to get your books once in a while!:lol:

No kidding, and we live close to the border too :lol:! I think I'll be looking into that!

No kidding, and we live close to the border too :lol:! I think I'll be looking into that!

Careful about customs! When we lived in Vancouver folks would do that but then they got tougher about checking. If you're going over the boarder for 48 hours, though you can bring more back.

Anne

That's true, but there are activities in the dialectic books that would be doable. I'm thinking if money were an issue. However, the Carlson books are often available used for a good price.

Anne

I wasn't sure if you had noticed the age, that was why I pointed it out. Interesting you should say that though! I will look into that for next year since I want to transition my boy to UG and will be using Year 2 for two years anyway :).

Careful about customs! When we lived in Vancouver folks would do that but then they got tougher about checking. If you're going over the boarder for 48 hours, though you can bring more back.

Anne

Thank you! I'll be looking into this. I have heard so many saying they just go across the border and buy so many things, including groceries :lol:!