Menu

s/o: Fevers...and an intro

The fever thread made me curious about how many here don't treat a fever, or let it "do it's job" instead of immediantly giing meds.

I have always panicked a bit with fevers bc my dd used to spike a high fever VERY quickly with any illness. She tends to get lethargic if she has as tiny as a 100 degree temp.

My ds can have up to 102 without feeling bad from the fever, so I will wait until he feels bad.

I guess it just confuses me to read that we shouln't medicate unless the child is uncomfortable......aren't they always with a fever?

Intro: I am a looong time lurker who finally succumed to my desire to join in various discussions. Homeschooling my two all along, married to my high school sweatheart, and a simple New Testament Christian.

Kristina

A fever is the body's way of curing itself. A virus is pretty much killed by raising the temperature so that the virus is "cooked"---much like cooking the bacteria in your pork chop. It becomes denatured and dies.

I believe in letting the fever burn, especially in the early days of the cold since this is when there are the fewest virus cells in the body.

Yes the children are uncomfortable--make them as comfy as possible and make sure they stay hydrated. You need to closely monitor them for other factors--- rashes, super sore throat, vomiting, weakness that gets worse.

I generally do not treat with meds until the child needs healing sleep and cannot get it because they are too uncomfortable. Or if the fever gets dangerously high.

I also have a very reliable thermometer. I don't use the ear ones-- have had one temp, get to the Dr and the temp is 2 degrees lower--try mine at the Dr and they have to recalibrate theirs.

I have come to this through going to the Dr with a temp and being sent home with a pat on the head and a call me if this persists for 5 days.

You must, however know the facts: There is a different "danger high" for each age (101 for my 10 wk old sent us to the ER.)

A fever that doesn't act normal (my 10 wk old went from 98 to 102, back to 99 back to 101 all with in 2-3 hours in the middle of the night).

A super uncomfortable child (pulls at ear, cannot nurse, cries, then is ok, then cries for no apparent reason)---I sent this one to childrens hosp--they did lots of tests --sent me home with a dx of "crabby baby" and her ear blew up the next day--I'd be crabby too if I had that bad of an ear infection.

Yes fever isn't bad. There are bad viruses and bacteria that come with a fever. It is a tough call as to if you should go to the Dr. and when. I use my "mommy sense" and hope that God grants me the wisdom to know what to do.

Lara

Fevers are the body doing it's job to get rid of an illness. It is cranking up the furnace in hopes of making the body too hot for the illness to survive. Therefore, I try to let a fever do it's job.

I *will* medicate when the fever is inching closer to 103 and the child is acting uncomfortable. If they are acting fine, I don't medicate. And I always medicate at night if the fever is 101 or higher. I don't want it to spike when I'm asleep and be unaware.

With most fevers, my kids have always been up and playing. Sure, their eyes may be a little glassy, and they don't have as much energy as normal, but they are acting well for having a fever.

I don't medicate unless there's a bad headache with it or extreme lethargy. If they're laying around and content to watch a video or such, I'll wait it out. If they're having trouble sleeping, I'll medicate at bed time. Basically I go by how they're acting. Sometimes a 101 degree fever can be miserable and sometimes I wouldn't even know they've got a fever if I didn't give them a hug. Just depends.

We don't even own a thermometer. I can feel when a fever is too hot and there are other symptoms that accompany one that may need medicating.

I've only medicated once and that was after she had a fever 3-4 nights running and was needed a good night's sleep. All the other fevers were limited to no longer than a day.

I agree with the other posters who said it's the body's way to fight the virus.

The only reason to medicate for a fever is if a child is miserable or can't sleep because of it. There is no such thing as a "dangerous" fever. There has never been a case of someone being harmed simply by a fever; it is the underlying problem that causes harm. Stories of a fever going so high that it causes brain damage or cooks your internal organs are myths. But...if a fever is staying high for a long time, that may be a sign that the underlying cause is something that the body is not able to handle on its own, so medication may be needed. Also, people with a fever can get dehydrated more easily, so it's important to watch that. But the fever itself is not a problem. The body self-regulates that.

Yes, but I never let a fever go beyond 3 days. After 3 days of fever bacterial infection is suspect.

My pediatrician has always appreciated knowing that we don't come in until that point. We eliminate question of it being viral.

That's how I control my panic. :001_smile: I panic too when they get sick.

Fevers that are really high can cause seizures. I had scarlet fever when I was a kid (age 5 or 6) that caused hallucinations and febrile seizures. It was super-scary and I'd rather not have my kids potentially be traumatized.

I don't medicate low-to-medium grade fevers but anything over 102.5 I do.

Fevers that are really high can cause seizures. I had scarlet fever when I was a kid (age 5 or 6) that caused hallucinations and febrile seizures. It was super-scary and I'd rather not have my kids potentially be traumatized.

I don't medicate low-to-medium grade fevers but anything over 102.5 I do.

That's not quite right. It's not the height of the fever that can cause febrile convulsions so much as the rate of change. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/febrile-seizure/DS00346

I will be the odd man out. I do medicate for fevers. Both of my dd's tend toward headaches with their fevers. Actually, that is how I normally know if my younger dd has a fever. I have been trying, lately, to not medicate during the day unless the fever is over 101. Again, though, with the headaches they are usually bothered. But I always medicate a fever at night. Night is when my dd's fevers peak and the younger dd tends to start throwing up if the fever goes high which makes everything more miserable.

Fevers are the body doing it's job to get rid of an illness. It is cranking up the furnace in hopes of making the body too hot for the illness to survive. Therefore, I try to let a fever do it's job.

I *will* medicate when the fever is inching closer to 103 and the child is acting uncomfortable. If they are acting fine, I don't medicate.

:iagree:

Depends on the kid.

With DS7, lots of time no one will even know he has a fever til we touch him. I only medicate him if it's 102+, especially at night. During the day, it depends more on how he acts.

With DS5, his fevers get high. He can get up to 105. He's never had a seizure from his fever being high because, from what I understand, the seizures are from how quickly it jumps, not how high it is. Him I usually medicate pretty often, he's a miserable kid with a fever. Terrible headaches, lots of pain. So he definitely gets the ibuprofen as often as he can, sometimes with the tylenol in between. Tylenol doesn't seem to help a whole lot, though, when it gets bad.

With DD, hers doesn't get so high, highest is usually 103. She acts pretty normal, so like oldest DS I don't really medicate a lot, except for at night and for nap, so she can sleep comfortably and I don't have to worry about her fever jumping.

I'm not a big worrier, though. I don't call the doctor unless I suspect something else, etc. I'm pretty laid back about it all...