Menu

How many of you are using SWB History of the Ancient...

World for high school? We have one more volume of SOTW (which we are using with MFW) left. I am not sure that I want to continue with MFW for high school. My boys absolutely love everything about SOTW. If you have used or are using HOAW for hs, please tell me about it. I realize that there aren't tests or a TM and this concerns me some. I really like having everything laid out for me.

Is geography apart of this book as well?

:bigear:

Thanks!!

Edited by athomemom
edit for another ?

Laura K (NC) had written out tests for parts 1-3 back in a post in Nov. 2008. I'm on the iPad and inept at linking on these forums using it, so I can't give you a direct link to that post, but I know it exists -- I just saw it!

We were using the book last year, and I found schedules and hints that people posted on here. Someone had a reading schedule integrated with literature. I'd suggested searching this section of the forum, possibly using the word "ancients" and maybe "SWB". I'd help, but like I said, I'm away from a computer I know how to use in that way.

We are currently using HOAW and DD (10th) is very enthusiastic about it. IMO (like SOTW) it does seem to flow like a narrative, but it is very comprehensive so quite a jump from the first series.

The book does include descriptive geography as well as maps, but as you mentioned, "nothing is laid out" for testing etc. However, I've simply printed out blank maps and allowed DD to pour over the detailed maps in the book (of the dynasty/country we are studying) as well as research a bit. She then fills in topography, rivers, important ancient cities, and interesting facts (to her). For instance, when studying Egypt she mentioned the length of the Nile, its source, and the fact that it flows south to north. Pretty basic, but I may give .5 credit for combined 4 yrs of this, or perhaps add some "traditional" geography for a full credit.

Because we are combining this with David Quine's WVWWI, which includes literature, we are not studying every Dynasty in HOAW. So far we've covered Mesopotamia, Egypt, and Persia, and are into the Myceaneans along with the Illiad. We have read for fun (we love this book) about India, China, the Hittites, and Minoans but I didn't test on those.

I suggest reading through a chapter or two to get a feel for it.:)

We used it last year. She did outlines, notes, summaries, found the places on maps and noted items on a timeline. I didn't worry about tests. We are using HOMW this year.

The high school books are dense reads. We used SOTW in grammar stage and other sources entirely for logic stage.

This is what we've (are) done as well. My dd enjoys the book.

For those of you who do not use test with the HOAW, how do you list this on your transcript for high school? I mean I am searching this info out, but how do you count a credit *if* you don't test?

I don't know what you mean? I took plenty of college classes where I wrote papers instead of taking tests. Even many of my finals were open-book essay tests. Why wouldn't it count for credit just because there are no tests?

I don't know what you mean? I took plenty of college classes where I wrote papers instead of taking tests. Even many of my finals were open-book essay tests. Why wouldn't it count for credit just because there are no tests?

I am still trying to figure this all out and decide how to give credit and average out the GPA on a transcript. Please share how you broke down the credit given for this course.

DD 15 did HOAW last year and is using HOMW now. She loves both of them. As other posters have mentioned, although the writing is narrative, it is not SOTW. The books are much denser and contain references to more mature topics that have shocked some readers.

We're also reading the great books (using an adapted version of the lists in WTM), which DD loves even more than HOAW/HOMW.

I am still trying to figure this all out and decide how to give credit and average out the GPA on a transcript. Please share how you broke down the credit given for this course.

Do you mind sharing more about what you have planned?

Both of these questions are answered in detail in the high school and transcript sections of The Well-Trained Mind. I followed the great books history/literature plan pretty closely. I hate to type out in excruciating detail what we did and how I figured the credit, because I feel like it would be infringing upon the very publishers who fund this board free of charge.

Last year dd read:

HOAW

selections from Greek Lives and Roman Lives

Gilgamesh

The Iliad

Agamemnon and Medea

the Oedipus trilogy

The Birds

On Poetics

The Aeneid

Metamorphoses

Both of these questions are answered in detail in the high school and transcript sections of The Well-Trained Mind. I followed the great books history/literature plan pretty closely. I hate to type out in excruciating detail what we did and how I figured the credit, because I feel like it would be infringing upon the very publishers who fund this board free of charge.

Last year dd read:

HOAW

selections from Greek Lives and Roman Lives

Gilgamesh

The Iliad

Agamemnon and Medea

the Oedipus trilogy

The Birds

On Poetics

The Aeneid

Metamorphoses

Why didn't you say so? I thought you had done your own thing. :lol:

I have a copy of the latest edition of WTM on hold from the library. I wasn't trying to infringe on anything and frankly am offended that you said so. I have questions and haven't looked in depth at high school, but I am starting to now. I typically have been more of a CM homeschooler, but I am making some changes. Obviously, to more of a WTM mindset.

Why didn't you say so? I thought you had done your own thing. :lol:

I have a copy of the latest edition of WTM on hold from the library. I wasn't trying to infringe on anything and frankly am offended that you said so. I have questions and haven't looked in depth at high school, but I am starting to now. I typically have been more of a CM homeschooler, but I am making some changes. Obviously, to more of a WTM mindset.

Not explaining why I didn't want to type it out would have been weird (to me). I wasn't making an accusation; I was giving you an explanation. :)

I used HOAW last year when my daughter was in 10th grade, incorporating it into Winter Promises' Quest for the Ancient World for High School schedule. http://www.winterpromise.com/ancient_world_sr.html

I replaced their recommended Mystery of History with SWB's HOAW. My daughter read one chapter a day from HOAW. The book was a great fit, and easy for a 14 1/2 to 15 1/2 year old to read.

My dd wanted a year of Ancient History, but Sonlight doesn't have one for high school, so I pieced this year's history/literature together for her.