Menu

Do I want a dutch oven? What would I do with it?

Well, for a few years now, I've been thinking I'd like to have a dutch oven. 'Cause, you know, they seem neat. :tongue_smilie:

So I was just poking around on Amazon, and GOOD GRIEF the LeCruset ones are expensive! But Lodge has this nice looking one. I love my Lodge 10" skillet, and I just got their two burner grill/griddle for my birthday, which I also like.

So, give me the scoop. Would the Lodge one be good? And what exactly does one make in a dutch oven that I couldn't make in my big stainless steel pot or my crockpot? Can you convince me I want one? :D

(FIL always gives me birthday cash, and I'm trying to decide how I want to spend it. :))

I have enameled one from Martha Stewart. But, this one is similar: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000N501BK/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1321155562&sr=8-2

I make pot roast, soup, arroz con pollo, short ribs, lots of stuff! It is particularly good for anything that needs to simmer for a long time or anything that goes from stovetop to oven.

I cannot get a LeCreuset shipped to me without going through a lot of extra work so dh bought me the Martha Stewart one. I LOVE IT. I don't cook as a general rule, but my dutch oven makes better food than my crockpot.

I have two of the Lodge enameled dutch ovens but they don't get much use. I cook with propane, and I can't seem to get it hot enough to sear or blacken anything. I can do one-pot cooking just as easily in my large cooking pot that has a good lid.

Baked brown rice is the only thing I regularly cook in the dutch oven. I will be doing this year's 10# turkey in my large dutch oven if it will fit, and I'll use the smaller one for the dressing, so maybe I'll find the love?

We have a Lodge similar to the one you linked. Use it probably once a week.

As a pp noted, wonderful for roasts or other dishes that want a sear, then cooking. We do all roasts in the dutch oven. Also whole chickens - they come out more tender in the dutch oven for us.

My dd likes to make bakeovers, and the dutch oven is also just perfect for those, although when it comes time to flip the bakeover onto the serving dish, that puppy is heavy and we're glad for our older boys :)

I have both a plain cast iron Dutch oven from Lodge and a smaller enameled one also from Lodge. Both make a nice presentation if I'm going to serve in the pot. I use the bigger one for chili quite often on the stove top. The smaller one I've used for pork and chicken in the oven.

Also, some slow-cooker types of recipes may do well in a dutch oven, though where I am (dry), the lid fit may affect how much liquid is left (too much or not enough).

Everyone needs a dutch oven. I don't know what I would do without mine.

I've heard that the Lodge is good... but my relationship with my Le Crueset is true love.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I got a Le Crueset for Cmas last year and a smaller not Le Crueset for my Birthday. The Le Cueset is so much better. I cannot believe I have cooked without a Dutch oven for the past 15 years of marriage.

Today, I am making chicken and dumplings in mine. I love making Arroz con Pollo, stews, baked beans, roasts and so much more in mine. Did I mention soups? I use it several times a week. Love, love love it!

I cook a lot. From scratch. Great big pots of stuff, like chili, soups, chicken and dumplings, etc.

I have a 5 qt. glass Dutch oven from our first cookware set. For those of you who are old enough, do you remember the Visions pyrex stuff? I use it sometimes. It makes a great large casserole dish but I'd never brown anything in it.

Anyway, I have gone back and forth many times on whether or not to get a "real" DO. I finally decided that I could get along perfectly well without one. I am still cooking more than could easily fit into a 5 or 7 quart pot, so I usually use my 9, 11, or 16 quart stainless steel pots. If I were to make that much food in a cast iron DO, I would not be able to lift the thing.

When a couple more children leave home for college I might finally get one. They look so pretty. It will be my emptying nest present from me to me. I think I'll get a blue one.

GardenMom

If you cook for a crowd a dutch oven is a life saver. If you just want the burner to oven to table convenience then a cast iron slillet will work. I have both, and use the skillet most. The other plus is that as more and more people are buying ranges with glass tops, people are practically giving away their cast iron. I see them all the time at thrift shops.

By the way, I could use some links to recipes for a dutch oven :) :bigear:

Everything that can simmer and bubble for a while:

Highland Hot Pot:

1 lb beef, round or chuck

3 Tablespoons of flour

4 medium sized potatoes, peeled & sliced into chunks

2 apples, peeled and sliced about 1/4" thick

1 onion, sliced into rings or chunks

optional: 1/2 lb breakfast sausage

1/2 teaspoon of salt

Dash of ground pepper

2 cups of either tomato juice or BBQ sauce

3 bouillon cubes

A pinch of sage

A pinch of paprika

A stalk of celery, chopped

Cut beef into cubes and dust with flour. Add everything in layers into dutch oven. Dissolve bouillon cubes in a little water and add. Let simmer on medium (just bubbly) for an hour or bake in oven at F350 for 1.5 hours.

:001_smile: