Menu

Veritas Press Self Paced History

I am curious how many people are or have used this? How do you like it? I have watched the samples, but I am not sure if they give a really good feel for the program. Are there assignments included? Do they tell you when and what pages to read in the history books that you can get to go along with it? Also, are there any plans to make self paced history courses for older students?

We are using it for dd10 this year for the first time, and I am so happy we did. She is using Explorers to 1850 and is more excited about history than I've ever seen her. In the past we have used TOG and SL, and I was hesitant about having her do something herself. But honestly, history has not been a cohesive subject like I had wanted it to be. I felt like I had the best of intentions, but just was not able to be consistent and thorough with history.

Since this year we are doing Classical Conversations for the first time, I decided to explore Veritas Press a bit more, and took advantage of the thirty day free trial. It is such a good fit for her. It is packed with information, fun, maybe a bit silly at times but perfect for her. She is fifth grade, and I plan on having her continue with 1850 to Present when she is through this course.

As far as written work, etc., there is a worksheet and test online with each card (each card has five scheduled lessons) and supplemental literature. Since I have SL Cores 3 and 4 on my shelf from using them with my oldest years ago, we loosely use this along side. We don't use the mapwork or timeline, just the reading, and sometimes I do replace books. For me, it's a perfect complement. We've used SL for years as well and love it, but always felt like I needed something else to help flesh out history in a more explicit way, which is what VP does for us.

I plan on having dd7 start their year one history course next year for third grade.

Hope this helps,

Lisa

Summer, if anything, I would say the other courses are actually BETTER than the OTAE sample! My dd has done several of them now, and she says they got better as they went on. (OTAE was made first.) She did MARR as a 6th grader and loved it. The course is quite involved, with map work, lectures (in costume, talking gargoyles, etc.), and so many details. As a history person it really scratches her itch. And the review games make it easy to memorize the information. It has AMAZED me how much she can nail with their method of consistent, fun review.

I have her doing the two american history courses this year, which takes about 5 hours a week if you do 2 cards worth (double-pace lessons). Shari, who hasn't responded in this thread yet, is doing something similar. She has her boy doing MARR this year and plans to do the americans next. So I think it's possible to stretch it up to work for a slightly older (I did say slightly) when you add on the upper level reading from the catalog (it's all marked, easy to do) or double pace the lessons. And as you know, there's nothing better than history that HAPPENS. No stress, no planning on my part.

If all you want to do is use the library books that are at your library on the topics, well they're in order on the shelves chronologically, making that easy too.

So yes, if anything the courses you'd be getting are even BETTER than the samples. Graphics, fun games, costumes, lots of review, lots of connection making. It's just everything you wish you had time or knowledge to do and don't get done.

Agreeing with the others. The samples are poor in comparison to the actual course. It is fun, easy, and effective. We adore the suggested readings, and the kids literally beg to be allowed to do history now. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Thank you all for your help. I am really excited about possibly using VP's Self Paced History courses. When I enroll in the program does it come with any worksheets or anything? I see I need to buy the memory cards, and book package. Is there anything else that I need to buy? I am planning on getting it for my 3rd and 4th grader. Will they each watch the lesson on their own? Or, is it something that they could do together?

They show the cards on the screen, so you don't need to buy them. You can buy the books or use the library. As long as they have *something* to read to go with what they're studying, it will be fine. And if you get busy with the baby and don't get any books, it will be fine too. It's awesome as-is. :)

No, you don't need the worksheets. They do all the review and memory work right there in the program via the games. Doing the boring paper worksheets would just kill the experience. Besides, even in the school they're only a tool for memory work and a way to practice writing. Have your kids write other ways.

That's a good question about working together. Call and ask them. When you register a dc, you give their name, birthdate, blah blah, and it sets up an account for them to use for logging in. So if only one dc is logging in and the other is watching and helping with the answers, then... I don't know how they've thought that through. I mean I don't think it's appropriate to pay for one dc and then let the other repeat it in a separate session. But if they're working together, I would think you only pay for the one. The thing is, I don't know if they'll really learn as well as if they do the course separately. But if they're doing the same course, that might be weird to have to repeat. The games are really fun, so in general I would think they'd want their own accounts to be able to do it each themselves.

Did I just talk in circles there? LOL Sorry, clearly I don't know. Talk with them. :)

Glad you're getting excited. It's great and can be so helpful when you're in a pinch, with a new baby, feeling overwhelmed...

They show the cards on the screen, so you don't need to buy them. You can buy the books or use the library. As long as they have *something* to read to go with what they're studying, it will be fine. And if you get busy with the baby and don't get any books, it will be fine too. It's awesome as-is. :)

No, you don't need the worksheets. They do all the review and memory work right there in the program via the games. Doing the boring paper worksheets would just kill the experience. Besides, even in the school they're only a tool for memory work and a way to practice writing. Have your kids write other ways.

That's a good question about working together. Call and ask them. When you register a dc, you give their name, birthdate, blah blah, and it sets up an account for them to use for logging in. So if only one dc is logging in and the other is watching and helping with the answers, then... I don't know how they've thought that through. I mean I don't think it's appropriate to pay for one dc and then let the other repeat it in a separate session. But if they're working together, I would think you only pay for the one. The thing is, I don't know if they'll really learn as well as if they do the course separately. But if they're doing the same course, that might be weird to have to repeat. The games are really fun, so in general I would think they'd want their own accounts to be able to do it each themselves.

Did I just talk in circles there? LOL Sorry, clearly I don't know. Talk with them. :)

Glad you're getting excited. It's great and can be so helpful when you're in a pinch, with a new baby, feeling overwhelmed...

Thanks OhElizabeth for all your help. I will definitely get them their own account, and they can do it on their own. I just wasn't sure how it worked.

I just asked my dd, because I wasn't sure, hehe. In every lesson it pops up telling you the historical fiction/literature reading assignments. They'll be designated upper or lower. For nonfiction/spine readings, you would need to look at the backs of the cards. But really and truly, I don't think you need to do the spine readings on top of the online lessons. It's just utterly redundant. The online lessons are fabulous, thorough, and connect the dots. Make it easy on yourself.

Remember, if you get into it and realize you want the cards for some reason, it's no big deal to use CBD with a coupon code or whatever and get 'em. But I don't think you'll miss them, VP's opinion notwithstanding. The online course is awesome on its own. If you're worried about the skill of reading non-fiction, well it's not like the spines the VP cards schedule are so hot for that. They tend to be very bland and used in snippets. It's easy to get your non-fiction reading in other ways (science, library book basket, whatever). Don't sweat it. Keep it simple.