Menu

Zoom Reading Strategy curriculum

treestarfae

Interesting.

I have 2 readers here who are struggling. I wish the samples showed more of the actual reading pages. Would you say that the pages the student reads are just reading pages focusing on those concepts....or is there actual teaching/instruction along with it??

Which books do you have? If I got these for my kids it looks like I would need Leopard and Rabbit (vowels) for the younger.....and vowel blocks, prefixes/suffixes, and Gorilla for the older.

Leopards and rabbits and gorillas oh my! :D

Interesting.

I have 2 readers here who are struggling. I wish the samples showed more of the actual reading pages. Would you say that the pages the student reads are just reading pages focusing on those concepts....or is there actual teaching/instruction along with it??

Which books do you have? If I got these for my kids it looks like I would need Leopard and Rabbit (vowels) for the younger.....and vowel blocks, prefixes/suffixes, and Gorilla for the older.

Leopards and rabbits and gorillas oh my! :D

I thought the same thing, AM. I'd feel better about plunking down $20 if I could see something besides "this strategy is great!" I like what the table of contents shows, but I need to see some of the instruction.

It looks interesting, but I figured I'd save a few people some trouble and point out that it's really not consistent with Spalding or OG methods, since it teaches "rules" like, "When two vowels go walking, the first vowel does the talking." It also says, "Vowels often reach back around one consonant to poke a vowel: decide". This means the 'i' in that word is making the 'e' say its long sound, but in reality the 'e' is saying /E/ because it's at the end of a syllable - it has nothing to do with the 'i'. Then it teaches that gh are just silent letters following 'i' or 'ou', but in OG and Spalding methods, 'igh' and 'ough' are phonograms. All of that is in the book following the Leopard book, but I can't see the title of it on the page. I think in the sample it's called Vowel Power.

I would still consider using it if I knew more about it, but I would have to heavily edit it for my purposes. I'm not criticizing or anything - there are lots of roads to the same destination and all that. I just wanted to share so people would know ahead of time, since I know some people absolutely would not want to use that, since it conflicts so much with certain methods. :)

I was going to contact Mary (the author) to see if she had more samples....but she contacted me first (thanks treestarfae). She's very nice and she e-mailed me over 100 pages of samples from various books. Wow! I am only on the 14th sample page....so I have a long way to go. But, so far...what I see I really like.

I was going to contact Mary (the author) to see if she had more samples....but she contacted me first (thanks treestarfae). She's very nice and she e-mailed me over 100 pages of samples from various books. Wow! I am only on the 14th sample page....so I have a long way to go. But, so far...what I see I really like.

:) :grouphug:

Then it teaches that gh are just silent letters following 'i' or 'ou', but in OG and Spalding methods, 'igh' and 'ough' are phonograms. All of that is in the book following the Leopard book, but I can't see the title of it on the page. I think in the sample it's called Vowel Power.

I'm not seeing from the sample pages what you are talking about? I don't see any pointing out of silent gh. Not to be redundant but Vowel Power is about vowels.

• 1 month later...
I'm not seeing from the sample pages what you are talking about? I don't see any pointing out of silent gh. Not to be redundant but Vowel Power is about vowels.

Sorry - I never looked at this thread again until now. I didn't look at the samples again, but when I looked at them before, it definitely said that you could basically ignore 'gh' when it followed 'i' or 'ou'. I don't remember how it was worded, and again, I don't think it's a flaw in the teaching or anything. I was only pointing it out for people who are using things like SWR or Phonics Road or whatever. Some of us like to have multiple options, but this program conflicts with what those programs teach. I'm glad you're liking them. :)

Sorry - I never looked at this thread again until now. I didn't look at the samples again, but when I looked at them before, it definitely said that you could basically ignore 'gh' when it followed 'i' or 'ou'. I don't remember how it was worded, and again, I don't think it's a flaw in the teaching or anything. I was only pointing it out for people who are using things like SWR or Phonics Road or whatever. Some of us like to have multiple options, but this program conflicts with what those programs teach. I'm glad you're liking them. :)

Can you look at the samples again and explain where it says that? I'm not seeing it.