Menu

MCT level 3 sentence analysis- HELP!

Way2blessed

My son has just started using MCT's program this year, beginning with the Grammar Town level. We have always used FLL, and continue to do so w/level 4. Until now, the two programs have seemed to complement each other nicely. There is no way I think we could do the MCT grammar if we didn't have the parts of speech definitions memorized from FLL. The problem is that now we are to the point that MCT introduces the phrases and immediately expects understanding of them from what I can tell. I don't foresee a problem with prepositional phrases since prepositions are covered in FLL. But how on earth do others teach gerunds, infinitives, participles, and appositives in one lesson? (I think I managed to get through my entire education, including a teaching degree without ever being taught them!). :001_huh:

We also jumped into MCT at the Town level this year. Last year we used Shurley and my son finished the year knowing the parts of speech and prepositional phrases. I agree that the section on phrases seemed a bit overwhelming but we went over it again and again as we finished Grammar Town. Now we are up to #18 in Practice Town and I believe the only phrases he has had to know so far are prepositional phrases. It does seem like they take it much slower as you move through practice town.

I think once I let go of the idea that he had to know all the rest of the phrases completely I felt better. If he comes to a gerund or an infinitive and gets it wrong we just review the GT section.

I don't know if I've helped or not but I do totally relate to your experience.

We have completed up to sentence 41 in Practice Town, and we still have not had anything other than prepositional phrases. You will see the gerunds and appositives in Paragraph Town by about lesson 4. The Island level did not teach anything other than prepositional phrases, so the rest are new in the Town level.

We haven't started Practice Town yet, as it was my understanding that we had to complete Grammar Town first. I'm glad to know that he isn't expected to "get it" after just one lesson, and hopefully when we get to Practice Town we can work on learning it together. Most of the time, thus far, I have loved MCT's

approach, but other times I just find it to be a bit flaky.