Menu

overnight cloth diaper for toddler?

My dd is 21 months. She has never worn a disposable diaper. I also cloth diapered my son, but he was in disposables overnight at this point. I am afraid I may need to go that route with my daughter now also, and it bugs me!

She tends to go long periods without peeing, then she floods her diaper. This happens during the day too, but I'm managing. And less annoyed during the day. At night she wakes up cold, with wet pajamas. Not cool! I was using a red edged prefold in a pocket, or two microfiber inserts in a pocket. No good, leaks every night almost. So I switched to one microfiber insert and one hemp blend insert from Thirsties. Some nights are ok, some we still have leaks and wet jammies. Two microfiber plus the hemp seems like it would be too bulky. I just got in a Kawaii overnight diaper, that has an extra layer of PUL, but not sure if that will help. Any other suggestions? Oh, and it has to be a pocket with a stay dry inner, as she gets rashes if she is in prefolds or other natural materials for any length of time.

If not, what disposable would you use? I remember preferring pampers for my son, but that was a long time ago and she is a totally different body shape.

Edited by ktgrok

We do the plastic covers over our diapers. We only have a couple pockets and all-in-ones, but I throw the covers over those too. We still get soaked diapers, but the clothes stay dry. I have used disposables on occasion, but we just quit prefolds with plastic covers overnight for my 4 year old (yay dry nights!), so they work for bigger ones too.

I would do a search for toddler super soaker on diaperswapper dot com ... Cloth diapering site with LOTS of info for this. You might try a hemp insert.

For DS2 we used wool longies over a pocket that was super stuffed... (2 hemp inserts or 2 bamboo prefolds)

OH! and a tip..... My son peed MUCH less when he quit using a bottle.. the flood finally ceased! (still normal amount, but not niagra every night)

Edited by lcelmer

My guys are super pee-ers but we finally managed to sort the overnight thing (they flooded sposies too, the few times I tried them).

We use either a dream-eze organic cotton fitted boosted with 6 - 8 layers of hemp and 4 of bamboo or a tots bots bamboo fitted with similar boosting plus a couple of cotton or microfibre boosters for speedy absorbtion, or a sandy's organic cotton with the same booster - whichever one covered with a bummis or motherease wrap.

I found when they got older I had to switch to a fitted, and have some fast absorbing material in there because otherwise they'd let so much go at once they'd flood the nappy before it had time to soak it up.

One tip I was given was not to use pockets because when you over stuff them they start wicking and leaking. That made a difference for us.

A SuperDo insert by Knickernappies has become my nighttime go-to!

http://jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/insertsdoublers/inserts/superdo2ginsert

I use mine under the stray-dry insert in a Motherease, but you could easily use a pocket dipe. A Dancing Bears fleece soaker over it all, and we're golden!

Edited by Zuzu822

When my son was that age, I started putting him to bed naked (at least bottom-less) on a stack of prefolds. He would start to get restless in the night, and I would hear him, so I'd wake him and walk him to his little potty (we put one near the bed). If he didn't make it, I could just switch out the pile of prefolds (easier than changing a diaper), let him sit on the potty for a minute, then put him back to bed. It only took a few nights and he was dry every night since then.

If she's waiting hours and hours before flooding her diaper, I would think she might be ready for something similar. It definitely made my life easier and ds more comfortable to get rid of night-time diapers and wetness.

I used a BG one size (the 3.0) with a BG insert and three hemp babies inserts. It was fairly bulky but I put it on at bedtime and took it off when they woke up so they really weren't bothered by it (it didn't hinder their movement at all). We were still cosleeping at that age and this was the only combo that didn't result in me waking up wet (which I was NOT into).

If natural can't touch her, I might try three or so layers of wool (lanolized... felted??) between the cover and the diaper.... I would just felt Pendelton wool shirts, cut strips... and layer a few.... Any diapers should be "diaper service quality" if prefolds....and gosh... microsuede is pretty absorbant ;)

If disposable, you have to decide what you hate more.... Seventh Generation is unbleached... there's a "natural" on at Toys R US now.... which is another choice... perhaps you could use an insert from the G-Diapers?? I do hate anything with that silica stuff... since it's toxic...

My 1-year-old is currently sleeping in a Bumstoppers (thick bamboo fitted diaper) with a bamboo doubler under the absorbent layer, and a fleece-topped bamboo doubler on top/against his skin. He is wearing wool longies over top, although we use the same combo with a regular cover. :) Pockets are never enough for my kids overnight. They seem to leak out the legs when they are stuffed with enough to last the night.