Menu

Dr. Hive - post-nasal drip help!

My post-nasal drip is completely out of control lately. I have a dr appt anyway in a few weeks, so I'm trying to hang on until then. But I'm wondering if any of you have any advice on getting the drip/raging river to slow down? And is it possible this is making me nauseous? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

But I'm wondering if any of you have any advice on getting the drip/raging river to slow down? And is it possible this is making me nauseous? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I deal with this every single year and I know how painful and annoying it is! It's good that you have an appointment, since I don't have any OTC or natural remedies to offer you. The only thing that works for me is Patanase nasal spray. My post-nasal drip was particularly bad last year and it absolutely was causing nausea.

Hang in there!

My post-nasal drip is completely out of control lately. I have a dr appt anyway in a few weeks, so I'm trying to hang on until then. But I'm wondering if any of you have any advice on getting the drip/raging river to slow down? And is it possible this is making me nauseous? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have only found relief with Claritin-D 24 hour (or the generic version of it), which is OTC but has to be purchased directly from the pharm counter so I don't open a meth lab. :001_rolleyes: I need the decongestant because if I just use the allergy meds, I get dried up instead of draining and invariably get a sinus infection.

I have only found relief with Claritin-D 24 hour (or the generic version of it), which is OTC but has to be purchased directly from the pharm counter so I don't open a meth lab. :001_rolleyes: I need the decongestant because if I just use the allergy meds, I get dried up instead of draining and invariably get a sinus infection.

I do the same, except I use Allegra as the allergy component (Claritin doesn't work for me). And yes, you must get the 'real' deal sudafedrine for actual relief of post nasal drip. I also use a nasal spray (nasonex). PND can make you feel sick to your stomach. It happens to me all the time.

Have you considered the fact that a lot of "post nasal drip" is actually reflux? I fussed and fumed over my new "allergies" for 3 years until I tried treating reflux, and my nose became very well behaved in less than a week.

Here is how it goes: acid splashes esophagus, and even if you don't taste/sense the acid, your wonderful body tries to dilute the acid to protect your esophagus by prompting your posterior nose to start putting out slime.

Have you considered the fact that a lot of "post nasal drip" is actually reflux? I fussed and fumed over my new "allergies" for 3 years until I tried treating reflux, and my nose became very well behaved in less than a week.

Here is how it goes: acid splashes esophagus, and even if you don't taste/sense the acid, your wonderful body tries to dilute the acid to protect your esophagus by prompting your posterior nose to start putting out slime.

Fascinating. I am willing to try almost anything, and since post nasal drip is my only allergy symptom, I've always been skeptical of that diagnosis. What's the cure if it's a reflux issue? I once read something interesting about apple cider vinegar, although it's counterintuitive since you wouldn't think acid would help with acid. :bigear:

Fascinating. I am willing to try almost anything, and since post nasal drip is my only allergy symptom, I've always been skeptical of that diagnosis. What's the cure if it's a reflux issue? I once read something interesting about apple cider vinegar, although it's counterintuitive since you wouldn't think acid would help with acid. :bigear:

In some people it helps "shut" their valve at the top of the stomach.

Given the decades of use, even chronic long term, with no short term effects, a trial of a PPI (you can get this OTC at Costco) Omeprazole for a month or 6 weeks would tell most people. It works better if it is taken on an empty stomach, and taken every 24 hours religiously for the duration.

If you have a "something in my throat" sensation (fullness, clearing the throat repeatedly) with the PND, dollars to donuts it is reflux.

In some people it helps "shut" their valve at the top of the stomach.

Given the decades of use, even chronic long term, with no short term effects, a trial of a PPI (you can get this OTC at Costco) Omeprazole for a month or 6 weeks would tell most people. It works better if it is taken on an empty stomach, and taken every 24 hours religiously for the duration.

If you have a "something in my throat" sensation (fullness, clearing the throat repeatedly) with the PND, dollars to donuts it is reflux.

Those symptoms sound about right. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks. :)