Menu

my neighbor wants me to help her interview a prospective nanny - what do I ask?

My neighbor is looking for a new nanny. She wants me to serve as sort of a second interviewer for someone she is considering hiring. She has already talked to her and just wants a second opinion. She and her husband would not be around while I am talking to her. What sorts of questions would you ask? My neighbor doesn't really want to tell me what to ask. What would you ask?

I have a few ideas, but thought I would pick the collective brains of the hive. :D

having been a nanny myself for a period of time, and now having a pt nanny - when I've interviewed for myself, I tend to set up hypothetical situations as some questions, asking them how they'd handle a situation - child related situations and not child related situations....I also ask about their life outside working as a nanny, what they like to do for fun and why, where they've traveled or where they want to travel in the future, I ask about things that frustrate them, things they consider a weakness and things they consider their strengths - I try not to ask very specific questions about childcare because most are going to answer with what they think you want to hear, so I try to ask my questions in a round-about way to learn about who they are more than what they want to tell me about their childcare experience and practices, ykwim?

An example - one girl I hired for the summer I wound up having to fire because when she took DS to the pool, she didn't watch him, but instead went off to do laps on her own while he was over at the huge slide - on the other side of the pool, where she could not obviously see him and especially could not see him if she was doing laps; now one of my questions is "what do you like to do when you go to a pool?" - I didn't ask specifically about with the kids, just what do you like to do when you're at a pool.....that weeded out three candidates for us almost a year ago - one said she liked to read books & magazines and then offered how the kids she watched in the past would play and pool time allowed her to catch up on her reading while they played in the water (umm, no thanks, I want you watching my kids, not reading), the second said she usually texts friends while watching the kids play in the water (maybe, but nah), the third said she didn't like pools (that's not going to work then).....the girl I did hire (and she's wonderful!) specifically broke her answer into two parts - that if she were alone or with her friends, she likes to tan and swim now and then to cool off, but when she's taken the kids (three she used to nanny for), then she was in the pool with them, playing and swimming with them (good answer, part of what got her hired).

Edited by Tigger

honestly, have her play with your kids for half hour(maybe pay her small stipend for coming over to do this) and see how she does with them and how they react to her. I told one gal to her face after watching her interact with my kids I wouldn't let her babysit for any reason. It was clear from seeing her with my son she wasn't good with kids. On paper she looked great.

But yes, throw out those situations that there isn't any one real clear way to handle and see what she would do.

but if she's willing, let her play with the kids for a bit or while talking to you.

My employers asked me a great question: What if I asked you to do something that went against your philosophy of child rearing? (and she didn't give me an example)

I told her, as best I can recall, that I would follow her instructions because it was her child, but that there were certain things I would not do, particularly in the discipline arena--I gave her the example that I'd never spank her kid nor want her to ask me to. She said, OK, that's a good example, but what about something more subtle?

And I can't remember what we got to, but basically I assured her that I'd talk with her about anything I had a problem following, and try to come to some agreement.

I think she was pleased with my willingness to communicate with her, and with my moral standards, AND with the fact that I have good reasons behind my child-rearing/babysitting philosophy.

Both great ideas to get me thinking in the right direction.

To the other poster - they aren't my children. They are my neighbor's children. Your suggestion is a good one, and she plans to do that!

Can anyone help me with some questions that might be good for multiple children? My neighbor has three, but I only have one, so my relevant experience is different.

For multiple children, maybe you could ask what she'd do if they all need her at once! lol

Maybe something about how she'd likely structure her day--ask her what a typical morning from (pick a 3 hour period) might work?

Even if she doesn't have brilliant answers, you are looking for a woman of sterling character who is willing to learn.

Oh, and another thing--

You might want to ask if she prefers to be paid in cash. It can open up a whole "tax" conversation. You definitely want someone who will pay her share of the taxes--you want someone ethical, and that's a good indication. And she might ask if the employer pays the nanny tax--you want someone who WANTS their employer to be ethical, too--speaks to her character.

For the local GS troop leader questions, I kid you not... The first two questions were:

1. What would you do if the girls in your troop just starting swearing randomly?

2. Have you ever been sexually attracted to a child on the playground?

I'm sure they catch predators all the time with this strategy. :glare:

As long as you DON'T ask those questions, you should be ok. :lol:

Ask their childcare/parenting style. This is an open ended question that allows the nanny to give her beliefs. I've been a nanny for 15 years, and honestly the scenario questions bother me. Everyone knows the right thing to say...and I feel like it's not accurate of what the person will actually do. However, if you ask what their style/philosophy is..it forces them to think a little more honestly.