Menu

Where can I buy affordable, Euro-style duvet covers to use instead of sheets?

My kids don't use their sheets properly, which means their blankets have to be laundered more often. However, washing their winter down comforters is both a royal pain and it's hard on the comforters.

I have friends in Scotland who do not use sheets at all. Instead, as is common there, they use duvet covers--sheets that are like a bag, and the comforter goes inside. This way they simply change the duvet covers and wash them, rather than washing the whole comforter.

When I look at Lands End or The Company Store, the duvet covers are really expensive!!! And they seem to be of a quality that's for a gorgeously displayed bed. I just want simple sheet-style duvet covers like my friends in Scotland.

Where can I buy this type of duvet cover affordably?

Target. Walmart, too, has them. I bought my last one at Bed, Bath, & Beyond on the clearance rack so it was pretty reasonable. Penneys carries these as well as does our Sears store.

I suspect you could make them fairly easily using flat sheets and velcro closures. DD10 does not like a top sheet, but really hates the feel of scratchy blankets. I sewed a microfleece sheet to one side of the scratchy blanket and that was very simple.

I got mine (a flannel one) at LL Bean and, while it seemed expensive at the time, I bought it in 1992, and it just now is getting some tears in it. It was a good investment. :)

When I was a child, my mom made me a Scandinavian style duvet cover out of sheets: two flat sheets, sewn together for the cover, then it was attached at the foot to a fitted sheet. My covers never got untucked, and it kept everything much neater for longer.

• 5 months later...

You can get them almost anywhere now. When I first started shopping for duvet covers over 10 yrs ago, they were hard to find, but the last time I redid the bedding in my master bedroom, I was amazed at the options. I bought mine from Crate & Barrel, and it was a little spendy, but it's held up really well. As I recall, the Company Store has pretty good clearance sales, as does Land's End, so keep watching. Land's End will send you copious amounts of coupons (how's that for alliteration? ;)) if you sign up for their emails. Free shipping, X% off, sale previews, overstocks, etc. Speaking of overstocks, check out Overstock.com too :)

And as someone else mentioned, if you have basic sewing skills, you can make them yourself. Buy a couple of flat sheets in the size you need (maybe one size bigger for seam allowance), stitch them up around 3 sides and add some sort of closure at the bottom--buttons, snaps, hook & loop, etc.

I've seen them everywhere. Target, JCPenny, BJ's, LL Bean, Lands End, Ikea, Walmart etc. I have a kid who hates bundles of blanket & sheets, and always has. (His is from The Company Sore.) His down quilt goes into the duvet and he washes the duvet every week (more like twice a month) or so. I take the down quilt to the cleaners 2-4 times a year. (it's too big for our machine.)

Edited by LibraryLover

Keep an eye on company store and bed bath and beyond in clearance. Duvet covers tend to be the odd piece out that is still left and goes really cheap sometimes. I have gotten 2 King size duvet covers from the company store for under $20. One is bamboo and was originally $250. Then I just get a plain fitted sheet and pillowcases cheap. Most our sheets are white, cream, and black. So they will go with most anything. There are a few there right now

ETA: Sorry, I did not notice that this question was asked BACK IN NOVEMBER when I responded.

Edited by Northwest_Mama
not paying attention