Menu

"Baby" names? Wanna help?

Okay, so the two older kids told me this morning that they want to use the names *I* gave them but NOT the names their biological parents gave them. Problem: The names we've been saying have been a combination, thinking they'd want to keep the names they've been called all their lives.

So what I was using (dashes for their birth names):

Victoria E______ H****

A______ Jeremiah H****

C______ Anthony H**** (C was actually a K but I was going to change the spelling of his bio-name)

Now, Victoria wants to be CALLED Victoria. So I need a new middle name. Problem is that had I given birth to a little girl, I actually was going to name a little girl Victoria E_____!!! Crazy, huh? Anyway, so do you have any great ideas for middle names? Can start with any letter :) A little about her? Light brown hair she is working to grow out. She's *very* capable with ANY ball. She *wants* to be a princess, but is much more sporty generally. Very bright. A fighter. A survivor.

The middle kiddo wants to be CALLED A.J. which I've been calling him for a little while now as a term of endearment (I never use it in discipline, for example; just when cuddling, hugging, being silly, rocking, etc). I have planned on naming him Jeremiah from the get go as I'm naming him after my (step)dad. You won't believe how much this kid is like him! He's smart, sweet, light brown hair, will always be a little small due to health issue. So basically, I need a first name that goes well with Jeremiah, but it needs to start with A.

Now, I have the most leeway with the little guy. He's only 3, developmentally delayed, and only barely can really participate in these conversations. We do not HAVE to keep any part of his name. Two names that have been thrown around more than others: Tony (Anthony) and Benjamin. But that doesn't have to mean anything. He's a slight little guy, under the 3rd percentile size wise. He blonde hair is thick and full of body (ie, I can't do anything with it!). He is the mischievous, impish grin one. He's cute with a head a little bigger than you'd think (my other son, the 16yo, also has a big head. LOL). Here is a picture of a little girl who looks A LOT like my little guy:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTI8hRDOhMeschI6YPRhyHvmVQQhtbYjj2YWn8QYOaRetw-zmEdfw

If it'll help, our last name is German (practically spit) and one hard syllable.

Anyway, so I'd love great ideas. When we choose, I guess I'll change my signature again :)

If it helps at all, my other kids names are: Kimberly Michelle and Johnathan Wayne. However, I didn't name my son that. He changed his name about 16months ago.

If Anthony was a first name?

It is much easier, I think, when kids are in your tummy, not walking, talking, having a specific look and personality...oh, and when they don't have an opinion! LOL

I'd go with using the E name you like as a middle name. Just call her Victoria. You like the E name and it will have more meaning to her when she's older.

I vote for Andrew Jeremiah (but that's almost Geezle's name, so I'm biased). I love AJ as a nickname.

I like Benjamin a lot as a name.

Congratulations!!!

I have to put in a plug for Arthur as a first name for AJ. I might just happen to have one running around here.

I love Victoria Elizabeth. Victoria is such a beautiful name. She has good taste. Other middle name thoughts were Jane and Pearl.

For the little guy, here are some of my favorite boy names:

Walter

Gideon

Calvin

Ezra

Theodore

Victoria Michelle (edited to add oops. Guess you don't want Michelle since your older dd has that name---I like Elizabeth in that case)

Alexander Jeremiah

(still thinking on the baby)

Okay, so the two older kids told me this morning that they want to use the names *I* gave them but NOT the names their biological parents gave them. Problem: The names we've been saying have been a combination, thinking they'd want to keep the names they've been called all their lives.

So what I was using (dashes for their birth names):

Victoria E______ H****

A______ Jeremiah H****

C______ Anthony H**** (C was actually a K but I was going to change the spelling of his bio-name)

Now, Victoria wants to be CALLED Victoria. So I need a new middle name. Problem is that had I given birth to a little girl, I actually was going to name a little girl Victoria E_____!!! Crazy, huh? Anyway, so do you have any great ideas for middle names? Can start with any letter :) A little about her? Light brown hair she is working to grow out. She's *very* capable with ANY ball. She *wants* to be a princess, but is much more sporty generally. Very bright. A fighter. A survivor.

The middle kiddo wants to be CALLED A.J. which I've been calling him for a little while now as a term of endearment (I never use it in discipline, for example; just when cuddling, hugging, being silly, rocking, etc). I have planned on naming him Jeremiah from the get go as I'm naming him after my (step)dad. You won't believe how much this kid is like him! He's smart, sweet, light brown hair, will always be a little small due to health issue. So basically, I need a first name that goes well with Jeremiah, but it needs to start with A.

Now, I have the most leeway with the little guy. He's only 3, developmentally delayed, and only barely can really participate in these conversations. We do not HAVE to keep any part of his name. Two names that have been thrown around more than others: Tony (Anthony) and Benjamin. But that doesn't have to mean anything. He's a slight little guy, under the 3rd percentile size wise. He blonde hair is thick and full of body (ie, I can't do anything with it!). He is the mischievous, impish grin one. He's cute with a head a little bigger than you'd think (my other son, the 16yo, also has a big head. LOL). Here is a picture of a little girl who looks A LOT like my little guy:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTI8hRDOhMeschI6YPRhyHvmVQQhtbYjj2YWn8QYOaRetw-zmEdfw

If it'll help, our last name is German (practically spit) and one hard syllable.

Anyway, so I'd love great ideas. When we choose, I guess I'll change my signature again :)

Edited by Scarlett

littleWMN, He's been called C_____. We read on some message boards about using his new name and current name together for awhile and then slowly drop the name we won't keep.

I kinda think they should have part of the names their birth parents gave them. It might be important to them sometime. After what they've been through (CPS has been involved almost non-stop since 2006!), I can see wanting to make a break too though.

Do I have to make the same decision for all of them? Like can I name the girl Victoria E_____ but not keep part of the boys' names?

So I asked AJ what he wanted his name to be. He said "A.J. Mudfish H****" LOL My hubby teases about calling people mudfish and he likes it. HAHAHA

One other thing I wanted to do is talk to the Grandma and/or Aunt (we will be keeping the adoption open as long as it is safe and healthy to do so) the significance of their current first and middle names.

ETA: Could this have been any more of a dis-jointed post? Weird.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Scarlett, I thought about Alexander Jeremiah. Talk about a LONG name. He'd beat my daughter out for length!

But I love the formal-ness of it. I love the strength. It's big and confident. Just what I want for my awesome little guy!

I'm not usually an initial person, btw. It's just that AJ's current first name is a *very* popular girl's name so....

Actually, C's name is a unisex name, but not the way it is currently spelled so everyone just always assumes I have three girls.

My hubby loves the name Elizabeth as a middle name. Then AJ and she would both beat my daughter out for length. LOL

I have to say that I like Thomas. Benjamin Thomas?

I also love Joseph (Bible). I love Josiah, but I'm not sure if hubby will go for it and it's been soooo popular in recent years.

Hubby won't allow Jonah or Noah (silly fear!).

Benjamin Josiah? Benjamin Joseph? Thomas Josiah?

Scarlett, I thought about Alexander Jeremiah. Talk about a LONG name. He'd beat my daughter out for length!

But I love the formal-ness of it. I love the strength. It's big and confident. Just what I want for my awesome little guy!

I'm not usually an initial person, btw. It's just that AJ's current first name is a *very* popular girl's name so....

Actually, C's name is a unisex name, but not the way it is currently spelled so everyone just always assumes I have three girls.

My hubby loves the name Elizabeth as a middle name. Then AJ and she would both beat my daughter out for length. LOL

I have to say that I like Thomas. Benjamin Thomas?

I also love Joseph (Bible). I love Josiah, but I'm not sure if hubby will go for it and it's been soooo popular in recent years.

Hubby won't allow Jonah or Noah (silly fear!).

Benjamin Josiah? Benjamin Joseph? Thomas Josiah?

Alexander Jeremiah is long, BUT with a short and hard sounding last name Alexander is perfect. And conversely if he goes by AJ anyway, it won't matter.

I like both Joseph and Josiah, but I thought you wanted to keep Jeremiah?

Well, if you wanted to keep the very long name string going, you could call him Benjamin Thomas Josiah, or Benjamin Thomas Joseph. I think Victoria Elizabeth is beautiful, and Alexander Jeremiah sounds strong. I'd probably go with Josiah as a middle name if you keep Jeremiah for the older brother, since the brothers would have related middle names.

As far as changing names, that's what we did with DD. We called her birth name -new name for awhile then slowly dropped birth name. She was just a baby but I have friends and relatives that did that with older kids too. I know it's controversial to change names but we had a very specific reason and also wanted her to have a fresh start. Plus, her name was really not appealing. We dropped her entire birth name.

I love Benjamin Thomas!

As far as changing names, that's what we did with DD. We called her birth name -new name for awhile then slowly dropped birth name. She was just a baby but I have friends and relatives that did that with older kids too. I know it's controversial to change names but we had a very specific reason and also wanted her to have a fresh start. Plus, her name was really not appealing. We dropped her entire birth name.

I love Benjamin Thomas!

Benjamin Josiah is nice too...or Benjamin Thomas....all good strong Bible names which is nice with the Jeramiah of the other boy.

Victoria E______ H**** "Victoria Elizabeth"

A______ Jeremiah H**** "Andrew/ Andrews/ Aiden Jeremiah"

C______ Anthony H**** Honestly, "Tony" doesn't conjure up "cute" to me, although one of my bestest friend's son's name is Tony :) He's a great guy.... but.... Caiden Anthony or... something that is just "pinch your cheeks" cute.... is what I would want for him :) (Anthony is something you want to keep?? Otherwise, I'd change the whole thing...) Caiden (if you don't use Aiden)... Caiden Samuel Hersh. (just a fill in name for your last :))

Edited by NayfiesMama
Oh oh oh... I love the name "Asher" too :)

I wanted all of us to have something from each side of the family because we're part of both clans and I'm not a fan of hyphenating names. All of my kids and I have the same middle name-my maiden name. My youngest's birth name is Korean and not something we ever planned to keep. The Korean agency had to give her name for her paperwork and for the 7 months before she could come home to us.

Faith (my maiden name) (my husband's last name)

Mercy (my maiden name) (my husband's last name)

Hope (her birthmother's Korean family name) (my maiden name) (my husband's last name)

When I got married I dropped my middle name given at birth, moved my maiden name in its place and took my husband's last name.

To: Lisa (my maiden name) (my husband's last name)

Lisa, I kept my middle name when I got married. My current last name is German and difficult. My former one was worse. I also have nothing to do with my father so certainly don't want his last name as part of mine. I know that sounds rude, but....But my middle name wouldn't be a good middle name either (though at least there is a female and male version if we wanted to do like y'all did).

Well, so as of today, I know (little more than I did when I posted):

Princess will be Victoria E_____ or Victoria Elizabeth.

Sport will be either A_____ Jeremiah or Alexander Jeremiah and called A.J. either way.

Munchkin will be Benjamin, but I don't know the middle name. His sister preferred Thomas. My friend prefers Josiah. IF we keep E_____ and A_____ then we will probably use his current middle name as his middle name (not Biblical, but strong normal male name).

BTW, I'm publishing a blog post on the issue in a minute if anyone is interested in a concise consideration of the issues involved.