Menu

Holt secular science @ Rainbow Resource. Anyone use this?

We're doing a somewhat older version of Holt Life Science in 6th grade and I am very happy with it. We use the student book, teacher's book, printed study guide, printed directed reading guide, some of the vocabulary and reinforcement sheets and I have a printed copy of the test generator. For tests, I pick the problems out of the test generator that I want to use and just re-type them (newer versions have a cd for this evidently, but I found all my materials used very cheaply). I found some of the extra resources on their website---self-test, some alternate labs, etc. I supplement with videos from Discovery Education Streaming.

My daughter recently told me how much she enjoys using textbooks, which surprised me. I don't know if Life is the first in the sequence for middle school or not, it's just that my daughter wanted to do life science this year when given the option, and I found this set used. I'm currently looking at Holt's Earth Science for next year, then probably physical science in 8th, though I may use other resources I already have for that.

ETA: I just went out to RR to see what they offer, and I'm trying to figure out the difference in the middle school Earth science with parent guide cd-rom and the regular package. Since there's a substantial cost difference, it must be something.

Edited by KarenNC

We used Holt Science & Technology Earth Science last year and LOVED it. We started out using the HST Physical Science this year, but are currently taking outside co-op classes (better lab opportunities). We plan to use HST Life Science next year.

That said, AFTER we finish the middle school books I don't think we will stay with their hs sequence. I want a little more in depth, so we'll be using some college level intro texts and doing community college classes, but this is for a budding engineer.

I chatted with RR regarding the difference in the middle school science for $180 and the one with the parent guide for $125. Evidently the parent guide is a stripped down version with lesson plans and answers for things in the book. I want the bigger package as we like the tests, additional guides, etc, so, naturally, I'll need the more expensive version:001_rolleyes:. They couldn't tell me if the chapter tests are pre-done or if it's a test generator so that the tests can be customized.

This is what we have used for 8-10 (so far). We have the more expensive package with an actual student book and teacher manual. The tests and worksheets are premade on the CD, there is no worksheet/test generator.

There are 3 different levels included on the CD-one for the kids who are behind, one for average kids and one for advanced kids. I wish they were grouped according to level so that you could print all of them out at once. They aren't, so you bav to look through everything for each chapter to figure out what you want to print off. I wish RR offered these worksheets in a packet instead of an a CD. It is sort a pain to figure out which worksheets or tests you want to print out. But, that is the one thing I don't like a about it.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I used the earth science and technology package for an older ds scheduled with the kolbe lesson plans and this year I'm using the text only with kolbe plans and tests.

Both boys say they like it.

The older boy liked it so much, he asked to do the Teaching Company geology course.

I used the earth science and technology package for an older ds scheduled with the kolbe lesson plans and this year I'm using the text only with kolbe plans and tests.

Both boys say they like it.

The older boy liked it so much, he asked to do the Teaching Company geology course.

I went out to Kolbe's website to look at what was available for Earth science (7th grade). It notes that they do not schedule the entire text, so that the answer keys, etc only address the areas that their syllabus covers. Here's the link: http://www.kolbe.org/documents/seventh/Science7Daily2011Sample.pdf While it's totally understandable, it would be a surprise to someone who ordered expecting the answer key to cover the entire text. For a price comparison, they sell the student text for $87, chapter resource cd-rom for $55, course plans and tests $35, textbook answer key $15, which is $192, so not a savings from the homeschool package Saxon/RR sells.

As I said before, we started with Life and will go on to Earth next year. In looking at our plan this morning, I've decided to rearrange the chapters in Life a bit so that we are ending with the ecology unit rather than the human body systems unit. We school year-round, and I think the ecology unit will make a nice bridge into Earth for next year.