Menu

If You Couldn't Have an Epidural, You Would...

Okay....I asked since there are a number of reasons why one can't have an epidural and the varying reasons change the reply. An epidural for me is also a no-go, totally different reason though - for me, the local anesthetics used simply don't work (very rare).

Have you had an anesthesia consult with an anesthesiologist?

I highly recommend one if you haven't had one, that way they're set with a plan and you also can have some plans laid out too - both for how the natural birth will proceed and what will be done in the event you need a c-section for some reason. This latter part is especially important since it's better to have a plan you don't use (and they don't use) than to have to scramble last minute in an emergency and have only general as the go-to option despite other options being available, if only they'd been planned!

All that said, I think you've gotten some great advice on a few different things to consider (Bradley, etc.)...I just recommend a sit down with the anesthesiologist to go over the drugs that can be available, methods of administration and what they'll do in the event of a c-section if it were me.

Last time I got to have a surprise natural birth because of the issue with the epidural. Was not a fan.

I used Hypnobabies with the last two babies, because I did not want to have a "surprise" natural birth. I had two precipitous labors. By doing hypnosis training, I was able to have the last two babies with no pain meds at all and it was truly no big issue. My youngest was an emergency induction, with pitocin and I still didn't "need" pain medication.

P.S. I don't have any sort of abnormally high pain tolerance, either. It's just that the training prepares you much better.

I am an "older" mother, and when I had my oldest children epidural wasn't really an option or offered. They gave me the IV opiate, I believe it is a form of codeine, and I wouldn't recommend it because it doesn't help with pain relief, it just made me sleepy and unable to focus the pain into something productive.

When I had a my daughter a few years later they were just beginning to practice letting your body "stretch" versus cutting. I almost stood up in the stirrups and yelled "CUT ME NOW" (think the exorcist woman) but they did and out she came. I do NOT understand the ring of fire, I don't want the ring of fire, and I wasn't going to DO the ring of fire! They cut and out she came.

So if you do decide to labor naturally and are worried about the burn, I would suggest speaking to the doctor about the episiotimy (sp) and make sure that they know you want it and do NOT want to try to stretch.

I am an "older" mother, and when I had my oldest children epidural wasn't really an option or offered. They gave me the IV opiate, I believe it is a form of codeine, and I wouldn't recommend it because it doesn't help with pain relief, it just made me sleepy and unable to focus the pain into something productive.

When I had a my daughter a few years later they were just beginning to practice letting your body "stretch" versus cutting. I almost stood up in the stirrups and yelled "CUT ME NOW" (think the exorcist woman) but they did and out she came. I do NOT understand the ring of fire, I don't want the ring of fire, and I wasn't going to DO the ring of fire! They cut and out she came.

So if you do decide to labor naturally and are worried about the burn, I would suggest speaking to the doctor about the episiotimy (sp) and make sure that they know you want it and do NOT want to try to stretch.

While I am glad that you got what you preferred, I suggest that the OP do some research on episiotomy. Most doctors have moved away from cutting episiotomies because episiotomies are proven to be more damaging in most cases than allowing the tissues to open and unfold. There are less risky, more effective options for protecting the perineum from injury, including perieal support and pushing in a position other than on one's back or sitting. Side lying is an excellent choice for preventing perineal trauma. I've given birth five times. Four of those times were without any medication. The ring of fire was brief to non-existent. And I didn't tear with the last three. :)

Sitting in warm water and being able to move and deliver other than flat on your back will help ease out a well -positioned baby. That, and not pushing...That 'ring of fire' is greatly lessened by warm water, or being on your hands and knees. However, the intensity of crowning, as twitchy as it can be, means you're just seconds away from holding the baby. Such an amazing feeling. Without an episiotomy or stiches or tearing etc., it's all over, but the wonderful plop of placenta. Sore, sure. But then, baby cake (and shrinking uterine contractions, ok). :D

Edited by LibraryLover

OH! You were stuck on your back??? OMG, that is the most painful thing on EARTH. I can't even imagine how much that had to have hurt! I couldn't stand it for one contraction for her to check me, let alone for a whole labor! You poor thing, I can't begin to imagine.....

I PROMISE that being able to be upright or on your hands and knees will be a totally different experience. If you are tough you will do fine.

Hugs!

I've had the gas, epidural and that other drug that goes in the IV. The only thing that worked was the epidural. The other drugs didn't offer pain relief and just made me extremely loopy in a bad way.

I also tried hypnobirthing for all three and it didn't work either. I planned drug free (and homebirth) for all but only managed no drugs with number two.

I had an IV med with my oldest and it was AWFUL. I will never do that again. I would suggest a natural birth but prepare yourself for it. And not just say I want to go natural, but read books and take a class if you can. I've never had a doula, but that would be something to consider, too. My last two labors were short (4-4.5 hours) and my contractions were long and very strong right from the start with very little break between them. Only the last half hour or less was difficult, and it was worth it to not have the drugs in my baby (or me).

ETA: I saw that you were stuck on your back last time. That would be awful. That's the worst place to be while you are in labor, both for the progress of your labor and pain-wise. I have had great success standing while in labor and leaning against things to help me relax while I'm having a contraction.

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

Check where you are delivering. I can not handle the medicine at all and the hospital gave me the choice of the epidural or nubian (sp?) They had no other options at all. NONE! Start there and see what they will do and what they allow as my hospital was a butt about it. Good luck to you. I did natural 3 times as the experience with the epi was worse than the labors. I

I went to child birth prep classes. I was told about all the great things they had (water, blah blah). When it came time I wasn't allowed to use the water because my water broke. So what was the point of all of that? I was hooked up to machines so I couldn't even walk around.

You do need to check the rules of your hospital. With my second in the hossy, I could labor in the water but not birth there. Yeah, get me out at the hard part. :glare: It helped while I was in the water, though. With my third, I birthed at home in the water. Soooooooooooo much better.

While I am glad that you got what you preferred, I suggest that the OP do some research on episiotomy. Most doctors have moved away from cutting episiotomies because episiotomies are proven to be more damaging in most cases than allowing the tissues to open and unfold. There are less risky, more effective options for protecting the perineum from injury, including perieal support and pushing in a position other than on one's back or sitting. Side lying is an excellent choice for preventing perineal trauma. I've given birth five times. Four of those times were without any medication. The ring of fire was brief to non-existent. And I didn't tear with the last three. :)

:iagree::iagree: Changing positions and feeling when to push really helps reduce tearing. Only tiny seperations/skidmarks here, no real tearing, even with a 9-lb posterior baby with nuchal hand. (Thank yoooooou, HypnoBabies waterbirth on my knees.)

OH! You were stuck on your back??? OMG, that is the most painful thing on EARTH. I can't even imagine how much that had to have hurt! I couldn't stand it for one contraction for her to check me, let alone for a whole labor! You poor thing, I can't begin to imagine.....

I PROMISE that being able to be upright or on your hands and knees will be a totally different experience. If you are tough you will do fine.

Hugs!

Did anyone mention sterile water injection?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2900101/

I have no first hand experience with it, but it might be something worth looking into :)

Worst thing ever. The few minutes of pain on insertion was worse than the entire labor and delivery. Plus it didn't work at all. I thought it was just me but my midwives who have tested it on each other agreed with me. Horrifyingly painful. My husband could here me screaming from down the street.

I never had an epidural and never had a natural childbirth, if by that you mean without drugs. I always had pain medications and I am not sure what else. It definitely helped a lot. None of my kids every had anything other than momentary problems with it, either. My second was born very soon after I got another injection so her first Apgar was somewhat depressed but her second Apgar (five minutes later) was a 10.

I never had an epidural and never had a natural childbirth, if by that you mean without drugs. I always had pain medications and I am not sure what else. It definitely helped a lot. None of my kids every had anything other than momentary problems with it, either. My second was born very soon after I got another injection so her first Apgar was somewhat depressed but her second Apgar (five minutes later) was a 10.

Do you have any idea what pain medications were used?

I had demerol with my first and it made me quite loopy and sleepy. I did not want to push and it wasn't until the word "Caesarean" penetrated my fog that I started pushing. He did have breathing issues at birth, but I think that was from the cord around the neck, the demerol and maybe even the oxytocin they used to speed up contraction when I was too loopy to push. It was a lovely drug in terms of pain relief - a horrible one in terms of birthing a baby. I would not do it again.

I had nitrous with my second just for transition and I liked it. It took the edge off things and gave me something to do. Not much pain relief though.

I had nothing with my third.

I did use water with all 3 births and honest-to-goodness it was the best in terms of pain relief and being alert.

Good luck in deciding what to do.

Kathy

No, I am sure they were some kind of narcotics. I already knew I had no issues with narcotics since I suffered from severe migraines and had been given those with relation to that. Oh, and the narcotics do have fairly good pain relief if you get enough of it. Now, if they make you sleepy, they aren't a good choice. But they don't affect me that way unless it is a dose much higher than anything they would need to give me. For all I know, they may have also included some other drugs with secondary pain relief.

I don't think I could have stood not having pain killers so I completely understand. I had three kids, each with long labors. Because of my issues with some types of anesthesia, I was able to endure some pain by self hypnotizing or concentrated distraction during things like dental procedures and sewing a nail back into place but birthing was way too long for that.

I would definitely have a doula with me.

Staydol might be an option for you although it was a horrid experience for me.

My last birth was epidural free because baby came in the middle of a hurricane and there was no anestisiologist available. They gave me staydol and it was terrible! I would avoid it at all costs.

Can you have some oral or IV narcotic? Personally, I love narcotics, lol.

I had all natural births, but I recall midwives, including a friend who had home births in the UK, talk about using low doses of narcotics to ease the pain.

However, some folks have BAD reactions to narcotics, too, so I'd be leery of trying a new one in labor, but if there are any that you have already had in the past with no problem, and are also safe for labor, that's what I'd consider.

Narcotics can be nice when the both relieve pain AND lessen anxiety, as of course pain and tension can feed each other.

I'd probably take a combination approach -- learning about hypnobirthing and/or Bradley and/or what else is out there to work on the mental end of coping with the pain, but I'd probably also schedule a consult with the anesthesia practice that serves my hospital to discuss other options, and investigate things like water pool/shower, birth balls, etc. that have been known to help some people.

I had studied Bradley with my last, and got all the way into transition without any problem. That's when we noticed that a hand (with the cord in it) had worked its way around the head, and I did take some narcotics before they tried to push the hand and cord back.

A planned unmedicated birth would be a different experience though.

I had a bad epidural experience with my first and went on to have two more really wonderful pain-medication-free births. It was completely different going in with a game plan than it would have been having an unmedicated birth by accident.

Hope whatever you decide works well for you. :001_smile:

Off topic a bit, but my planned natural birth was 3 hours of sheer agony followed by 20 minutes of hellish torture. ;) Once it was time to push though, things went swimmingly.

That being said, if I had to do it again I'd still go natural but would try a water tub and/or hypno-birth.

I used the Bradley method with my 3rd baby. It really was good for me. I still had pain but I felt empowered with each contraction because of what I learned in my classes.

Like a pp said though, I wouldn't have been able to handle no-meds as easily if I had been forced to stay in one position in the bed. My nurse was incredible and helped me move into different positions even when I wasn't thinking about it.

Bradley here, too. I wouldn't have been able to handle natural childbirth without the techniques I learned through Bradley. And having to stay in one position??? No way. But as it was, I had wonderful (not painless) labors/deliveries. Nothing in my life has ever been more empowering and joyful that working with my body to bring babies into the world.

Pitocin put me over the edge. Over the screaming edge. Nubain took me to miserable-but-I'm-going-to-make-it. I gave me thirty minutes of slight relief, just enough.

No complications here.

I have had Nubain with my 3 epidural-free births. There is still pain but it makes you not care quite as much :). It also makes me think I'm funnier then I really am so I start cracking jokes. I remember the nurse telling me I should have a baby by 4:30 and I told her I was aiming for 4:00 so I could catch Oprah. Laugh riot in the delivery room, I am.

There was one they gave me that I don't recommend though. It's called Stadol. It made me feel like I was hallucinating and it didn't do a **** thing for the pain.

The drug was horrid for me too!

I looooooooooooooooooooooove Stadol! But I only let my caregivers give me half a dose, if that much. A little touch was all I needed.

But I did not use anything pharmacological for my last three births. I found that for me, learning how to relax my body through the contractions was the ticket for a better birth experience. All the walking I had tried to do with my first 3 births just made me tense and made my body fight itself. Once I learned how to go for utter relaxation, my birth experiences dramatically improved.

I would definitely have a doula with me.

Staydol might be an option for you although it was a horrid experience for me.

I didn't get along well with Staydol either--couldn't wait until it wore off. LaMaze was working well but labor was long (3 hours of pushing) and they told me it would take the edge off the pain. It totally blew my concentration and made everything worse instead.

I didn't like my first epidural, so that was disqualified by choice. I went with Stadol for my second, and found it to be the worst high ever. it allowed me to sleep between contractions, but, for me, that just made it feel like the contractions were never ending... at a bad frat party.

With no interest in repeating the experience, my next 3 were natural, and a million times easier than my first two!

You have options. Even though your last epidural didn't go well, that doesn't mean you have to completely rule it out. I understand your doctor feels better without it, given how your bp plummeted. However, with such history, a good anesthesiologist may be able to plan for, and compensate with other medications. Perhaps you require a larger bolus of fluids. Perhaps a different cocktail of drugs may work (epidural medications do vary).

So, it's good you're going to consult with the anesth. to discuss these and other possibilities.

BTW, I'm not attempting to push you to have another epi. I chose to deliver my son without any medications; however, I feel very strongly that none of your options should be ruled out or disallowed, without a very good reason, and some research and investigation first. You should have full disclosure of all potential choices, including risks and benefits.

That said, IF after having your consult, you determine that an unmedicated birth is your best choice, then you will probably want to ensure that there is a good supportive environment. I don't just mean having a Bradley trained husband, or a doula.

I mean, your doctor, and the hospital staff, and hospital policy, need to line up with you on this. It's not going to be very conducive to a "natural" birth, for example, if it is standard policy for 80%+ of laboring women in your hospital to be given pitocin, or other labor augmentation/ induction drugs. These drugs directly affect the way muscle fibers contract--in other words, the cells actually work differently in response to the drugs, versus your own hormone, oxytocin. (I have a very interesting study, including diagrams, buried somewhere that I have to dig up on this.) This is why many women report a marked difference in the strength and severity of labor contractions when they have been chemically induced.

It is also why many studies show a significantly increased risk of fetal distress associated with pitocin and misoprostol and other such drugs. Basically, contractions last harder and longer, the baby gets squeezed, along with the umbilical cord, and oxygenation gets reduced. This doesn't stress or negatively affect every baby--it just means that the type of contractions these drugs produce more stressful for a certain subset of babies.

With that said, there also ties into the administration of these and other drugs, the question of limitation of motion. Because these drugs require closer monitoring of mother and baby (for the above, and other reasons), this might mean a reduction in how you are able to move about freely. Options like water therapy (shower or tub) are almost always restricted, when there's internal fetal monitoring (and when you've got an I.V. hooked up) involved.

Ok, so all this is to try to illustrate my point: going unmedicated is made much, much easier if you are not having to contend with longer, stronger contractions, and fewer methods of dealing with them.

I mean, when I had my son, I picked the place I gave birth in, based on how well it would support my objective (low-intervention L&D), and my philosophy of pregnancy as a normal event, and not an illness. I chose a free-standing birth center down the street from a Level III NICU hospital. As a result, I had no I.V., no labor inducing or augmenting drugs, could walk and eat and drink as I chose, and spent most of my labor in a Jacuzzi tub. My labor didn't get uncomfortable until about 3:00 am; I arrived at the center at 3:30, and I pushed him out by 7:45 am.

It wasn't fun, there were no sparkling unicorns farting rainbows out their butts, or whatever. I mean, I won't dress it up--it's labor, I'm not going to pretend it didn't suck (notice I opted not to get pregnant again?). Ok? It sucked very hard. I didn't like it.

But, it was straightforward, without all the distractions of this or that being done to me, or someone telling me, do this, or stay here. It made the difference between a manageable labor and a hellish, traumatic experience.

So, if you end up deciding to go the "natural" route, I would encourage you to research the heck out of your hospital's standard procedures, and find out what your doctor will do to ensure that you are not being sidelined into certain interventions and treatments without explicit, medical cause. Hospitals have a VERY wide range of approaches to natural childbirth, with some being awesome, and others just barely out of the 1950's.

Do yourself a favor and find a good one! :D

• 2 months later...
Just found a shortened schedule for HypnoBabies. I'll try it and report back. :)

Sorry to revive a defunct thread, but I just remembered that I was supposed to follow up on this. OP, I hope things are going well.

Baby arrived several weeks ago. :) As it turned out, I could only find the time to listen to the Hypnobabies CDs for a few hours altogether, but it still seemed to help somewhat. What really made a big difference, though, was the TENS unit that we ordered from the UK. Well, that, and the fact that we put off going to the hospital for so long that there wasn't time for an epidural anyway.

This was my first unmedicated delivery (out of five), but it didn't seem particularly natural, what with the hypnosis and the electrical thingamajig. But at least I was able to avoid the unpleasantness of the drugs, and it wasn't unbearable except for a few minutes of 2nd stage. So I would suggest that you look into the TENS. :)

A planned unmedicated birth would be a different experience though.

I had a bad epidural experience with my first and went on to have two more really wonderful pain-medication-free births. It was completely different going in with a game plan than it would have been having an unmedicated birth by accident.

Hope whatever you decide works well for you. :001_smile:

It doesn't always work this way, though. (So glad it did for you!) My planned unmedicated birth was actually worse than my unplanned unmedicated birth. (I thought they were both horrible.)

Sorry to revive a defunct thread, but I just remembered that I was supposed to follow up on this. OP, I hope things are going well.

Baby arrived several weeks ago. :) As it turned out, I could only find the time to listen to the Hypnobabies CDs for a few hours altogether, but it still seemed to help somewhat. What really made a big difference, though, was the TENS unit that we ordered from the UK. Well, that, and the fact that we put off going to the hospital for so long that there wasn't time for an epidural anyway.

This was my first unmedicated delivery (out of five), but it didn't seem particularly natural, what with the hypnosis and the electrical thingamajig. But at least I was able to avoid the unpleasantness of the drugs, and it wasn't unbearable except for a few minutes of 2nd stage. So I would suggest that you look into the TENS. :)

Congratulations on the new baby!

Guest brand.chips

happy.gif

My labor with Charlie was so painful, and I got an epidural! I seriously don't know if I could have a second child if I couldn't have an epidural.

Do you think you could do it? Or would you stop at one?

I can't suggest "medical" pain relief options, as I went the natural home-birth route and the emergency C-section routes rspectively. But in both cases I would start by getting a good doula who knows her stuff (massage/pressure and hot compresses help a ton with back pain during labour) and somewhere that would let you labour in water, which is rated very highly for pain relief.

There is a hot topic!

My advice is to hire a Doula to coach, encourage, massage, help you focus. And I would recommend classes for Natural birth. Pain med does make you groggy and can affect baby. Water can help, squatting, birthing balls, walking. I have only slept through 1 child's labor :confused: but that was the best part: they wouldn't deliver her for over 15 min. POLITICS

I have had 5 natural births : 2 with epidurals and hated the epidurals, because 1 was way too late, and one about killed me.

And AVOID PITOCIN: HATE IT!

Gas and air followed by a pethidine injection worked for my second birth (epidural for my first).

Laura

My sister had her first baby in Scotland and gas and air (I think this is nitrous oxide and oxygen?) was all she used for pain relief. As far as I know hospitals don't offer this option in the States, I wonder why??

A jetted tub did wonders for me the one time it was available. The hospital I plan to deliver this next baby at has tubs, so I'm hopeful.

--Sarah

My sister had her first baby in Scotland and gas and air (I think this is nitrous oxide and oxygen?) was all she used for pain relief. As far as I know hospitals don't offer this option in the States, I wonder why??

:iagree: The options seem so different in the two countries. Even using TENS for labor is a new idea here, and one of the L&D nurses had never heard of it (and was quite rude). Apparently you can buy the units at any drug store in the UK. In the US, unless you hire a doula or midwife who has one, you need to order from overseas. It's as if we're in the back of beyond. Very strange.

Nitrous Oxide is not offered in the US except for a handful of hospitals. I *think* the reason being that it's not a money maker (I could be wrong about this). I found an article about it earlier last year that went into more detail. No clue how to find it again.

For pain meds, I was given NuVain after I had #2, and it essentially gave me vertigo.

Non-medicated childbirth is very doable if you're prepared for it. I've had friends who've successfully used hypnosis (there's Hypnobirthing, Hypnobabies, and Blissborn). I couldn't have done it w/o a doula. And red raspberry leaf tea made an unbelievably HUGE!!! difference in the severity of my ctx once I hit transition - I could still talk and mentally function in between them.

I had issues with Epidural too, but next 2 labors I had some pain meds and made it just fine.

I think I might be tempted to try it ALL natural if I were to ever have another one, but research ways of managing the pain with changing positions and breathing.

My SIL who had her baby in the car, was on her hands and knees. She said that she was stunned that she didn't hurt/tear at all when the baby slid out. But when she passed the after birth on her back (cause the emergency people were there by then) it did hurt.