Menu

Answer this Facebook math problem poll. Please redeem humanity.

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1*0=?  

1. 1. 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1*0=?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To those of you who think that the answer is anything other than zero: Please show your work because if it's not zero then I'm completely confused. :tongue_smilie:

Order of operations.

The first thing you do is multiply the last 1 by zero. That means you are now adding all those 1s together minus the 1 in the middle plus 0 at the end.

ETA: NM, don't want to work out the problem for those still guessing. Sorry!

Edited by arghmatey

I voted zero. Math is not my strong suite, but this one seemed slightly straight forward. Please educate me if I am wrong.

Add: there was another one of these on fb I could not figure out and felt really stupid! :D

Order of operations:

Parentheses

Exponents

Division

Multiplication

Addition

Subtraction

You multiply *first*, that takes care of one of the ones and the zero. You add the ones that are to be added and subtract the final one.

Try again. :)

Math isn't my strong suit, either. I majored in English Literature.

Order of operations:

Parentheses

Exponents

Division

Multiplication

Addition

Subtraction

You multiply *first*, that takes care of one of the ones and the zero. You add the ones that are to be added and subtract the final one.

Try again. :)

Math isn't my strong suit, either. I majored in English Literature.

You are right! Arggggghhhh.....Well, like I said, not my strong suit. ;)

I totally don't get it. There are 17 one's. Aren't there? I counted them 3 times. How are people voting for 14 or 16? This little * sign is multiplication right?

Ds's math book would not only ask you for the right answer it'd ask you to name the property that makes it the right answer. Sheesh!! It's killing him, it really is. Which means, it's killing me. :glare:

ETA: OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!! Thanks for 'splainin' :blushing:

Edited by silliness7

I don't know what * means in math, so I can't answer.:001_smile: Not ashamed to admit I don't know! I think if it meant x (multiply) it would have said x, not *.

* is the multiply symbol for computers.

If you are programming multiplication, you say A*b NOT X. because X or x may be a variable name.

Actually, multiplication and division are equal in the order of operations, so you go left to right on those. Same as addition and subtraction. I vote 14. I majored in math, but having children killed way too many brain cells.

Just tryin' to keep it simple. They were already confused. ;)

To those of you who think that the answer is anything other than zero: Please show your work because if it's not zero then I'm completely confused. :tongue_smilie:

You multiply first, which means you multiply 1*0 before you do all that adding. That gets you 14.

I thought it went: Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally.

P= () no () so we skip

E=exponents no Exponents so we skip

M/D=multiply/divide from left to right in order so 1*0 =0

A/S=add/subtract from left to right in order so it =14

Someone please explain and don't out me to my engineering dd that I couldn't figure it out!

I thought it went: Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally.

P= () no () so we skip

E=exponents no Exponents so we skip

M/D=multiply/divide from left to right in order so 1*0 =0

A/S=add/subtract from left to right in order so it =14

Someone please explain and don't out me to my engineering dd that I couldn't figure it out!

You would get the same answer either way, just two different mnemonics. :)

I don't accept that it's not zero. If you do this in order, as it's written, it's zero. If you do this on a calculator, it's zero.

ETA: It would seem to me that if you want it to be anything other than zero you'd have to write it as:

1+1+1-1+1+(1*0)=

(I know I didn't put enough ones to match the problem on the poll, just pretend I did!)

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine

I don't accept that it's not zero. If you do this in order, as it's written, it's zero. If you do this on a calculator, it's zero.

Order of operations. :) You have to do 1*0 first because multiplication comes before addition/subtraction in the order of operations. Pop it into google calculator and you'll see. :)