Menu

Grease stain on granite

I am at a hotel (condo) on vacation and they have granite countertops. I set some butter down on the countertop and it melted a little. That was yesterday. There is still a dark area on the granite where it happened.

Does this mean they didn't seal it well? Does it mean I ruined it?

Yikes.

Help.

Thanks,

Dawn

I don't mind leaving it, I just don't want to get slammed with some hefty bill to replace it!

I had no idea granite was that easy to stain.

We have been mulling around what to do for our kitchen, maybe granite won't be for us.

I also see a burn stain next to the stove. WE didn't do that, it was there when we got here.

Dawn

Hmm, I have never stained my granite countertops. I wonder about not sealing it correctly too.

There is a special granite cleaner you can buy. It is usually in the section by the furniture polish/spray cleaner section. I would imagine it would be the best place to start.

Good Luck!

Wow! We have had granite for about 7 years without any problems (and we haven't re-sealed it annually like they told us to).

You should be able to put a hot pot on granite without any "burn" marks - it is stone. I'm wondering if this is not a true granite countertop since you see a burn?? Our granite is medium colored with a lot of colors in it (Saint Cecilia?). If it has stained, we really can't tell since it is pretty busy looking, which helps in our chaotic household.

There are commerical cleaners for granite out there. I would probably try that before something from the automotive section.

Well, we need to check out of this place at about 7am tomorrow so I don't have time to try various things really. I thought maybe something easy.

Long story short, we are here for another week, but due to some miscommunication on the hotel's part, I have to move condos tomorrow morning and have to be somewhere early so will have to check out at 7.

Dawn

You may be right. This may be something else. It looks like it is some sort of stone, but I opened the dishwasher and it is a solid white color underneath. I wonder what it is. It isn't a wood formica type thing.

Dawn

Wow! We have had granite for about 7 years without any problems (and we haven't re-sealed it annually like they told us to).

You should be able to put a hot pot on granite without any "burn" marks - it is stone. I'm wondering if this is not a true granite countertop since you see a burn?? Our granite is medium colored with a lot of colors in it (Saint Cecilia?). If it has stained, we really can't tell since it is pretty busy looking, which helps in our chaotic household.

There are commerical cleaners for granite out there. I would probably try that before something from the automotive section.