Menu

Question about bringing cat in for the winter...

We have 2 really sweet strays that I want to allow inside during the winter (we get quite a bit of snow here) but how do I tell if they have fleas or not before I bring them in? One we took to the vet several months ago and had neutered and they gave him a flea bath for me, but then he got some sort of cold from the vet and he was sick for weeks, so I don't really want to take him back to the vet as they seem very healthy. I just want to make sure I don't bring any fleas/parasites inside. Help?

ETA: if they have had fleas, will the fleas on them die if it gets cold enough outside? It has been around 20-30 degrees around here the past few nights...maybe the cold already killed them?

Go buy some Advantage or Frontline. Give it to them a couple of days before you bring them inside and dose them w/ it again in 30 days, just in case there were eggs or larvae that didn't die after the first round.

:iagree:This will take care of it!

However, do you know if they will use a litter box? I would recommend keeping them in an easy to clean room at first just to make sure!

Go buy some Advantage or Frontline. Give it to them a couple of days before you bring them inside and dose them w/ it again in 30 days, just in case there were eggs or larvae that didn't die after the first round.

Would a couple days be enough time to get rid of the fleas? Is it a pill I give them?

My neighbor took in a stray and got fleas in her house and car. It was awful.

I would definitely treat them before you take them inside. You can start them on a monthly flea medicine now.

This is definitely what I am wanting to avoid. With all of my young children, there is NO way I want fleas in the house. And my husband would be LIVID.

Edited by blessedwinter
horrible grammar/spelling- posting on my way out the door...

I'd suggest calling your vet and seeing what he/she suggests. I use Revolution--dosage is by weight. It's a liquid vial that you pour onto the back of the neck once a month.

It's important to treat past a few cold nights due to the flea life cycle. I usually have to treat two months past.

Would a couple days be enough time to get rid of the fleas? Is it a pill I give them?

This is definitely what I am wanting to avoid. With all of my young children, there is NO way I want fleas in the house. And my husband would be LIVID.

It is a liquid that is put into the fur at the back of their neck. Make sure no children (or adults) pet them for about a day after administering.

I would risk it and take them to the vet before I brought them in, not so much for fleas but for the possibilty of ringworm. We are dealing with it now and it is just awful. We bought a kitten from a pet store and later learned that they had caught it and put it in the window. The bumps/tiny scabs that I thought was flea damage was actually ringworm, which is common in strays and cattery kittens. The vet can put it under a UV light to determine if the cat is infected. 6 out of 7 of us are battling the stuff and it is hard to rid your house of.

You could also buy a flea comb (it actually looks exactly like those combs they give for babies in the hospital, LOL) and go outside and comb the cats' fur. Concentrate on the top of head, neck, back. If they have fleas, you should see flea "dirt", which is dried blood left behind (gag, gag) and sometimes an actual flea or two (or more) stuck in the comb.

That would be cheaper than the meds right off the bat, then you'd know whether or not you had to buy any.