Menu

writing assignments - what to do

My son's writing assignments always say to use as many describing words (which apparently at this stage only means adjectives) as possible. He is writing sentences that make me want to cry. Example: "A big colorful happy leaf was floating in the blue bright sky..." got the idea? When I try to tell him that adjectives should be used in moderation he won't listen. He is so proud of his ability to turn in 20 word sentences containing 10 adjectives. What do I do? :confused:

We have WWE. Kilgallon is a bit too early for him, but sounds just right to deal with this issue. MCT writing is way too early for him as well. Any ideas??? He is in the first grade.

In first grade, I would let him go wild with the adjectives. He is supposed to get the idea that "colorful" words make a sentence more interesting and fun. If it is an assignment for school, the teacher will let them know if they go overboard - but I would suspect the teacher would be quite happy to see that a 1st grader "got" the idea.

An older child I would encourage to tone it down a bit, but at this stage they are still learning about language and discovering ways of writing. Looks like he got the lesson.

I'd not interfere. It will sort itself out.

In first grade, I would let him go wild with the adjectives. He is supposed to get the idea that "colorful" words make a sentence more interesting and fun. If it is an assignment for school, the teacher will let them know if they go overboard - but I would suspect the teacher would be quite happy to see that a 1st grader "got" the idea.

An older child I would encourage to tone it down a bit, but at this stage they are still learning about language and discovering ways of writing. Looks like he got the lesson.

All I can hear in my head is MCT saying: "adjective isn't your friend." :lol:

Thanks!

I think this is what's wrong with expecting 1st graders to even bother with these sorts of assignments. It's misleading. It's not about using a lot of adjectives, but about using the correct adjectives. I don't think a kid gets to that point until they develop a decent vocabulary (among other things).

But that's a moot point because he has to do the assignment and it sounds like he did exactly what he was asked to do.

Then again there are others out there who would say the more writing the better.

I think at this point you can be most helpful by reading to him from a wide variety of books (develop vocabulary) and working on grammar (if they aren't doing that in school). The MCT grammar books would be fun to work through. I also love FLL.

So, let go on the writing side? Grammar doesn't seem to be helping him. We did MCT grammar island, but can't handle his writing assignments. Should I try Kilgallon this early? He reads at around 7th grade level, but writes like a first grader. Yesterday he put 4 adjectives before "flag" in his sentence and another 4 before a "pole." :glare:

:iagree: You have to learn what adjectives, adverbs, and other parts of speech are before you can learn the finer points of using them correctly. The best way to learn what they do is to practice using them.

I'm an editor and get paid to kill adverbs and adjectives, so I understand the concern about going overboard. But I believe playing with and enjoying words is also important as my DD (who's also 6) is learning to write. I do what I can to encourage her to have fun with words rather than squelch her enthusiasm by unleashing my inner editor on her.

Edited by WordGirl

So, let go on the writing side? Grammar doesn't seem to be helping him.

We saw this conflict between the SWB and ps approaches to writing, too, and it's very, very difficult to watch. The common ps approach can be accurately described as quantity over quality (Dd's 2nd grade teacher was always saying, "Fill the page. I know you can write more than that."), where SWB has the opposite approach, developing grammar, mechanical, and vocabulary skills before trying to use them in original writing. SWB's audio Writing Without Fear is one I listen to often to remind me to have patience and refocus when it appears dc are having trouble. It reminds me that learning written communication is like learning a foreign language.

WWE has not been able to successfully combat the aggressive push for quantity in ps in our house. I do value the skills it teaches because they're also not taught in ps (narration to a degree, but especially dictation and copywork). My very verbal 5th grade dd, who I believe has amazing potential as a writer, instead has a very hard time writing anything that isn't rambling and sometimes incoherent. :glare: Would she be writing 5-page essays if I had been in charge of her writing education all along? Likely not, but at least her writing would make sense.

What we've actually found to be pretty helpful is the writing lessons in R&S English. Dd takes those lessons, which are different than any lessons she gets in school, applies them diligently, and the effects are immediately apparant! A week of R&S has more positive effect on her writing than a full year of ps.

Oh, and grammar will help. He likely won't learn that in ps either, so keep it up at home. One day, it will all fall into place for him.

Edited by BabyBre

So many kids (boys particularly) have a hard time putting words down on paper. If he is going overboard I think it's great. Revising and fine tuning is for a later date. Why not let him not be afraid to write at this stage? Once they have to worry about hundreds of rules many kids back off.

We saw this conflict between the SWB and ps approaches to writing, too, and it's very, very difficult to watch. The common ps approach can be accurately described as quantity over quality (Dd's 2nd grade teacher was always saying, "Fill the page. I know you can write more than that."), where SWB has the opposite approach, developing grammar, mechanical, and vocabulary skills before trying to use them in original writing. SWB's audio Writing Without Fear is one I listen to often to remind me to have patience and refocus when it appears dc are having trouble. It reminds me that learning written communication is like learning a foreign language.

WWE has not been able to successfully combat the aggressive push for quantity in ps in our house. I do value the skills it teaches because they're also not taught in ps (narration to a degree, but especially dictation and copywork). My very verbal 5th grade dd, who I believe has amazing potential as a writer, instead has a very hard time writing anything that isn't rambling and sometimes incoherent. :glare: Would she be writing 5-page essays if I had been in charge of her writing education all along? Likely not, but at least her writing would make sense.

What we've actually found to be pretty helpful is the writing lessons in R&S English. Dd takes those lessons, which are different than any lessons she gets in school, applies them diligently, and the effects are immediately apparant! A week of R&S has more positive effect on her writing than a full year of ps.

Oh, and grammar will help. He likely won't learn that in ps either, so keep it up at home. One day, it will all fall into place for him.

I find the approach of learning all the mechanics before writing very strange. As a language teacher that is completely the opposite way best practice says to approach learning. We don't learn our native language that way. We learn through using it, and acquiring the rules as we mature in our use.

Plus sitting and learning a bunch of rules is boring, and I imagine very inhibiting to production for a lot of students. I think this post is interesting considering every other writing post is about what a fight it is to get kids to write anything. I wonder if there is a connection?

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to post an update. Now that I can see results, I am a new fan of our PS writing program. Please don't throw eggs at me. I am floored at the writing samples my son brings home. I don't know how, but they took him from nothing to a solid descriptive paragraph with conclusion. I just hope they will manage to replicate the success with my younger boy.

Does anybody else feel the same?

Edited by Roadrunner

:iagree: You have to learn what adjectives, adverbs, and other parts of speech are before you can learn the finer points of using them correctly. The best way to learn what they do is to practice using them.

I'm an editor and get paid to kill adverbs and adjectives, so I understand the concern about going overboard. But I believe playing with and enjoying words is also important as my DD (who's also 6) is learning to write. I do what I can to encourage her to have fun with words rather than squelch her enthusiasm by unleashing my inner editor on her.

Your posting on Enrichmints again. Yeah!!!!