Menu

Exercise Recommendation

I was hoping for some exercise recommendations. I have gained 30 pounds in the last 12 months over the weight I have been for the last 10 years. It has been a very stressful year!

I would like a dvd that doesn't have complicated routines that are difficult to keep up with if you are not very coordinated. I am fine with a hard workout.

For me, I had to get out of the house--while I did try a few videos, I had to start running again. I was about 75 lbs overweight, so I started with couch to 5k (which seriously had me running 3+ miles in 9 weeks and feeling totally awesome). But running makes me happy. :D I know that's not the case for everyone. Also, when I started running again, my one kiddo was about 2. It was a very simple thing to put him in the jogging stroller and go. Actually, it was easier than trying to do a video at home, where I would have to constantly stop what I was doing and re-direct him from, say, climbing the curtains. :lol:

The one video I did like (and actually used more than once) was one from Jillian Michaels. It definitely made me work, but it was easy to follow (no intricate, highly-coreographed dance-like routines that would have me falling on my toosh) and I believe it was only 20 -25 minutes long. I believe it was the "30-day Shred" video.

I would like a dvd that doesn't have complicated routines that are difficult to keep up with if you are not very coordinated. I am fine with a hard workout.

Collagevideo is a fabulous site.

You can do all sorts of searches and watch video clips.

I love how you can refine your search on this site - by instructor, level, type of workout, etc.

Have fun searching. :)

You could always slowly build up your collection. Maybe if you workout x number of days a month, you could treat yourself to a new DVD every now and again. Something like that. I love setting goals like that for myself.

If you have a Ross near you or a Suncoast – they often have very good deals on DVDs.

My latest obsession are ballet based workouts - the Bar Method and other ballet ones. There have been some threads on that here. They seem very effective and I don't think they require much coordination.

I'm also looking into Pilates and more challenging yoga.

EASIER/LOW-INJURY

Leslie Sansone has lots and lots and I have many of them.

Very little, almost no risk of injury

FAVORITE DVDS – USING WEIGHTS AND MIXTURE OF STUFF

I like DVDs by Jari Love - very no-nonsense.

I have Get Ripped and Get Ripped to the Core

Great instruction

Super-effective

I didn't think I would like her at all and I have been pleasantly surprised.

Denise Austin

Shrink Your Female Fat Zones

Get Fit Daily Dozen

10 Five-Minute Target Toners

Denise Austin has lots and lots of DVDs - which are short and effective. But many find her annoying. I think she's funny and don't mind her voice, etc.

Kathy Smith Ultimate Sculpt & Lift Weights to Lose Weight

I love Kathy’s workouts.

Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones

This is a good workout if you’re looking more to tone, define and maintain what you have

Uses weights

Fine for beginners and those who can complete Level 1 of 30 Day Shred

FAVORITE TOUGH WORKOUTS

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

What I like about it:

I love the fact that it's a quick and very effective workout.

Helps burn through arm fat and tones legs nicely also

What I dislike about it:

A few years ago, I was very, very fit and I started the Shred. I did it every other day. Never got past Level 2. I injured my ankle so badly. It took months to heal. My knees didn't do great either. I really, really want to avoid long-term damage to my joints.

If you have trouble with your knees at all, be sure to take it easy on exercises like lunges. I have trouble with both my knees and it took at least a month before they stopped hurting.

Some do modifications for things like the jumping jacks because they hurt no matter what, so they either bounce on a rebounder or jump they are jumping rope.

If your legs have a tendency to bulk up, this may make it worse.

Some have gotten permanent knee damage – knees cracking and so forth – best to not do this every single day

Suggestions

You are supposed to give muscle groups 48 hours to rest between intense sessions. I personally wouldn't do it 30 days in a row, since I prefer to avoid permanent knee damage and/or injury. I would do it 3-4 times a week and walk, swim or ride bikes on the other days (or take them off).

I also have favorites in Pilates and Yoga. I can share those if anyone's interested.

In April I started Weight watchers and began walking. I started with a mile, then two, and finally about 4 miles a day. I trained for a half marathon and had one long day. I was walking about 35 miles a week. I lost about 70 pounds doing that. I recently started the couch to 5 k. Im enjoying it now but could not have done it first. I'm not sure the jogging is helping me lose faster, but I am still losing. I am 8 pound from my goal and down 75 total (more than 70 by ww and walking). I would encourage you to walk. Build up to an hour, or an hour and fifteen minutes a day, every day. Consistency is hugely important. You'll see results!

Well, I lost 50 lbs over 18 months and have kept it off for about 4 years.

It wasn't exercising that got the weight off. It was my food intake. Now, I do exercise for 45-60 mins a day, 5-6 days a week. But my weight loss was 85% food and 15 % exercise.

I think you should start working out. It is the best thing I do for myself every day. But, the weight didn't start coming off until I controlled my portions.

I personally count my calories (Using sparkpeople), eat a HUGE amount of veggies every day, sharply reduced sugar and alcohol, increased my fiber, and pretty much just eat like you know you should eat. No pills, no potions, no weird diets, just eat like I know I should.

Oh and exercise TV and Hulu and Netflix are all sources of free exercise videos. I use them all. I play them on my laptop. Very convenient, I can workout where ever.

So, before you spend any money, try making time for 45 mins of exercise 6 days a week. That will make you feel like a new woman! And then start taking control of your diet. If you are being honest with your self about what you are eating and taking the time to move, then the weight will come off.

I hear a lot of people talking about T-tapp. I don't know much about it, but people say it is easy to do.

I have friends who did hard core DVDs like P90X who have seen fantastic results, however, I don't have any of MY friends who have stuck with it beyond the 90 days. That doesn't mean people don't, just that my friends haven't!

When I get home this weekend I am planning to start back on exercise. I found a Nordic Track Sequoia at a yard sale for $15. It looked like it hadn't even been used ever. The computer works perfectly and there are not even any nicks on it at all. That thing kicks my butt! And it is quiet so I can listen to the TV while I do it. It is also gentle on my joints, so my knees don't hurt when I finish my workout.

Dawn

Get some running shoes and go out the door! Get yourself into a routine and then start adding stuff. Unless you have a medical condition, the easiest way to get started with exercising is just to start jogging. You can get fancy a little later. Plus, with jogging, results are easier to see.

It is rather obvious what I would suggest as far as home workouts go!

While it's true about a diet, diet alone won't truly transform your body.

I started with the 30-Day Shred b/c I knew I could do anything for 30 days! It was a small investment - about $25 for the DVD and the weights. I have moved on to other things such as No More Trouble Zones, Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training, and Beachbody's Brazil Butt Lift.

I don't like running. I don't want to have to leave the house at all, so I really prefer doing DVDs at home. The best exercise, however, is whatever will get done.

I do agree with the other poster about weight loss having a lot to do with what you eat and portion control.

Good luck!

It wasn't exercising that got the weight off. It was my food intake. Now, I do exercise for 45-60 mins a day, 5-6 days a week. But my weight loss was 85% food and 15 % exercise.

I think you should start working out. It is the best thing I do for myself every day. But, the weight didn't start coming off until I controlled my portions.

I personally count my calories (Using sparkpeople), eat a HUGE amount of veggies every day, sharply reduced sugar and alcohol, increased my fiber, and pretty much just eat like you know you should eat. No pills, no potions, no weird diets, just eat like I know I should.

Oh and exercise TV and Hulu and Netflix are all sources of free exercise videos. I use them all. I play them on my laptop. Very convenient, I can workout where ever.

So, before you spend any money, try making time for 45 mins of exercise 6 days a week. That will make you feel like a new woman! And then start taking control of your diet. If you are being honest with your self about what you are eating and taking the time to move, then the weight will come off.

I agree completely with your comment on intake versus exercise. Eating right (foods and portions) has been 90% of my weight loss. When people ask I tell them I eat to lose weight and I exercise for health. I read once that you have to walk the length of a football field to burn off ONE m&m. That was perspective for me. So, if weight loss is the goal then make sure you're eating right along with the exercise.

I've been using the 30-day shred; love it. Easy to follow, but a great workout. I've lost 20 lbs!

For me, I had to get out of the house--while I did try a few videos, I had to start running again. I was about 75 lbs overweight, so I started with couch to 5k (which seriously had me running 3+ miles in 9 weeks and feeling totally awesome). But running makes me happy. :D I know that's not the case for everyone. Also, when I started running again, my one kiddo was about 2. It was a very simple thing to put him in the jogging stroller and go. Actually, it was easier than trying to do a video at home, where I would have to constantly stop what I was doing and re-direct him from, say, climbing the curtains. :lol:

The one video I did like (and actually used more than once) was one from Jillian Michaels. It definitely made me work, but it was easy to follow (no intricate, highly-coreographed dance-like routines that would have me falling on my toosh) and I believe it was only 20 -25 minutes long. I believe it was the "30-day Shred" video.

Great job on your loss and, most importantly, for keeping it off. Keeping it off is always the hardest part. 95% of us regain and then some. Including yours truly. But I'm thinking positive and am making some great changes. Part of it, of course, is thanks to you and the ballet workout recommendation. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :grouphug:

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

This is so true.

Someone here wrote:

"Great bodies are made in the kitchen and improved in the gym."

and

Weight loss begins in the kitchen.

I agree completely with your comment on intake versus exercise. Eating right (foods and portions) has been 90% of my weight loss. When people ask I tell them I eat to lose weight and I exercise for health. I read once that you have to walk the length of a football field to burn off ONE m&m. That was perspective for me. So, if weight loss is the goal then make sure you're eating right along with the exercise.

Yes, for me, it's 80/20, but more like 90/10.

I read this and thought to share:

Exercise does not burn that many calories. Couple that fact with being hungrier and you may eat more calories than you burned. Exercise does help burn calories -- you just can't eat more because of it.

To demonstrate the calorie intake versus exercise principle:

Elliptical training for 44 minutes/500 kcal burned = 1 Honey Bran Raisin Muffin from Dunkin Donuts

Kickboxing for 25 minutes and 272 kcal burned = Grande Starbucks latte with whole milk

Jogging for 60 minutes and 470 kcal burned = 1 slice (1/6 of cake) of Sara Lee Cheesecake, chocolate swirl NY style

Pilates for 30 minutes and 119 kcal burned = 5 pieces of hard candy

To burn sufficient calories to lose one pound of body fat, you might:

Briskly walk a total of 35 miles

Swim moderately fast for 6 hours

Dance for 12 hours

Play about 12.5 hours of golf, carrying your own clubs

Jog for about 29 miles

At the same time, you would need to monitor your eating habits to ensure that you are not increasing your calorie-intake in line with your increased exercise! And we all know that it’s much easier to eat 1000 calories than it is to burn 1000 calories!

If you're looking to control your weight, exercise is the least efficient way to do it. You'd have to run for hours to keep the cookies you ate from adding to your waistline.