Menu

Shouldn't a Thanksgiving party have a Thanksgiving theme?!

I am the worst at delegating. I always go back to the saying "if you want it done right, do it yourself." Well, I don't know if anyone but me says it. Anyway, I am PTSA president at K's school. I am there everyday. I am also her Room Mom. I love the school she attends but strongly believe it works for her because I am there a lot.

I have been REALLY over whelmed lately, so K's teacher asked another Mom to take over the Thanksgiving party for me to lighten my load. I admit, I was initially hurt, because I thought maybe she didn't like my Halloween party. But, I understand her heart was in the right place and it wasn't because I did something wrong. The new parent called and asked if I could make the flyer for her since she didn't know how. I said okay, thinking I would leave the requests the same from Halloween and it would only take a couple minutes. She finally got back to me tonight and her list is crazy. She is asking for brand specific items from a store 20 minutes away. I tried explaining why this might be problematic, especially since it is a store that requires a membership but she wasn't budging.

I made the flyer as she asked, which took more than a couple minutes of course.... but now I wish I had control over this party. I menu isn't themed for Thanksgiving at all. :/ What's the point of a Thanksgiving party that isn't Thanksgiving-ish?

I am the worst at delegating. I always go back to the saying "if you want it done right, do it yourself." Well, I don't know if anyone but me says it. Anyway, I am PTSA president at K's school. I am there everyday. I am also her Room Mom. I love the school she attends but strongly believe it works for her because I am there a lot.

I have been REALLY over whelmed lately, so K's teacher asked another Mom to take over the Thanksgiving party for me to lighten my load. I admit, I was initially hurt, because I thought maybe she didn't like my Halloween party. But, I understand her heart was in the right place and it wasn't because I did something wrong. The new parent called and asked if I could make the flyer for her since she didn't know how. I said okay, thinking I would leave the requests the same from Halloween and it would only take a couple minutes. She finally got back to me tonight and her list is crazy. She is asking for brand specific items from a store 20 minutes away. I tried explaining why this might be problematic, especially since it is a store that requires a membership but she wasn't budging.

I made the flyer as she asked, which took more than a couple minutes of course.... but now I wish I had control over this party. I menu isn't themed for Thanksgiving at all. :/ What's the point of a Thanksgiving party that isn't Thanksgiving-ish?

In red......ahem......she doesn't know how? Does she have a marker and a piece of paper and access to a copier? Can't she just follow your format from the Halloween party? OK, wait, I see you made the flyer (you are a dear) -- okay, so that is done.

I also prefer to do things myself b/c then they are done the way I know they should be -- I am certain that doesn't sound right, but I know what I mean.:D

Leave it the way it is -- is she the contact person? Let the other moms get hold of her if they have an issue with driving twenty minutes to a store that requires a membership. OR, if they are like me, I would buy what fit the bill without making myself nuts (and if driving 20 minutes to a certain store and getting a membership didn't bother me, I would do that). Honestly, at this point in my life, I would buy what she specified as closely as I could, and if I couldn't, I would tell her that I thought she was joking about driving that far and joining a club.

After that, I would have to say, it's not your party, it's not your responsibility, the kids are going home for a 4 or 5 day break and no one is going to remember any of it five minutes after they walk out the classroom door.

Give yourself a break and let it go.:)

no one is going to remember any of it five minutes after they walk out the classroom door.

How true is that? Teeny kids don't give a hoot, as long as they have a little something. Kids love ritual and party planning, but their expectations are soooooooooooo low. The parents are wishing they could just take their kids home to their own celebrations and vacation already.

After that, I would have to say, it's not your party, it's not your responsibility, the kids are going home for a 4 or 5 day break and no one is going to remember any of it five minutes after they walk out the classroom door.

Thanks. I needed to hear that I think. I *know* that the kids are not going to care what they shove in their mouth, but I know I would do it differently.

She IS the contact person, so she can deal with any flack which is good. I must say I did talk her down from putting organic only on the flyer, but I still had to add RIPE bananas to the sheet, obviously for those of us who would have brought them green. :001_rolleyes:

…

Leave it the way it is -- is she the contact person? Let the other moms get hold of her if they have an issue with driving twenty minutes to a store that requires a membership. OR, if they are like me, I would buy what fit the bill without making myself nuts (and if driving 20 minutes to a certain store and getting a membership didn't bother me, I would do that). Honestly, at this point in my life, I would buy what she specified as closely as I could, and if I couldn't, I would tell her that I thought she was joking about driving that far and joining a club.

:iagree:

Thanks. I needed to hear that I think. I *know* that the kids are not going to care what they shove in their mouth, but I know I would do it differently.

She IS the contact person, so she can deal with any flack which is good. I must say I did talk her down from putting organic only on the flyer, but I still had to add RIPE bananas to the sheet, obviously for those of us who would have brought them green. :001_rolleyes:

You are welcome -- just calling it as I see it.

Oh, and the RIPE bananas thing is hysterical. :lol: The teacher and other moms are going to throw rose petals at your feet when it comes time for the Christmas/Holiday party.;)

Actually, we prefer to eat our bananas green - they have a slightly tart taste. Just saying!

I like more firm bananas also.

I took the flyer into the teacher today and let her know I'd still like to do the Christmas party. She looked at the flyer, smiled, and agreed. :)

Let it go. It's a good thing when many parents participate. And when many participate, you get different ways of doing things. I think that's a good thing. If this is her first party, she's learning. It was supportive of you to prepare the flyer. I would continue to be supportive. Other ways of doing things can be just as effective.