Menu

I'm so freaked out.

Dh was in an accident tonight. He was messing with his radio and rear ended a dump truck. EMS checked him out and he says he is okay, just bruised from the seatbelt, but the car is probably totaled. I almost cried when I saw it. It could have been so much worse. I'm so glad he's okay.

Thanks everyone. I'm still wound up, but I'm hoping to get to sleep sometime soon.

:grouphug: I hope you can get some sleep. I am so glad your Dh is ok.

I did something very similar to my car a few months ago. It was scary but I was fine and so were our kids. The ambulance officer told us to be aware of pains and aches coming out after the adrenalin wears off. I had some minor air bag burns and was a bit achy but the kids were all perfectly ok. Thank God!!

Smart hubby...wearing his seatbelt. Good reminder for all of us!

Absolutely! I got up with him this morning when he was getting ready for work and he seemed okay. No new pains, just the abrasions and a little bruising from the seat belt. I can only imagine what would have happened if he hadn't been wearing it!

:grouphug: I hope you can get some sleep. I am so glad your Dh is ok.

I did something very similar to my car a few months ago. It was scary but I was fine and so were our kids. The ambulance officer told us to be aware of pains and aches coming out after the adrenalin wears off. I had some minor air bag burns and was a bit achy but the kids were all perfectly ok. Thank God!!

I'm glad you and yours were okay too. And hopeful there won't be any residual injuries for dh either.

Glad he's okay. Hope the aftermath isn't too stressful. :grouphug:

Oy. We are just getting started with the aftermath. He took my car to work this morning, so I'm scrambling to find a ride to pick up the rental. And try to get to the tow place to get his stuff before they take the car to Orlando, which is apparently where they examine it. We're waiting to hear from the adjustor but we are pretty sure it will be a total loss. Then we have to deal with the payoff and try to figure out what we can afford on whatever they give us for it. I'm thinking he's going to get a scooter.

Modern cars are designed to take the hit to protect their people. When the front end crumples as it did (engine drops, etc), then it allows more stopping time. Allowing more stopping time puts less force on the people. Less force = less injuries. Dropping the engine means it doesn't end up crushing the driver's body. The older cars that didn't crumple spared the car, but tended to either take the lives of the people inside or cause far more injuries from the "quick stop."

Be thankful the car looks as it did. It gave its life stopping your hubby from looking that way instead. ;)

But yeah, the hassle now with replacing the car is certainly no fun. (We had to replace our minivan last winter after a crash with a tree on an icy road. Both my younger boys were in it - middle son was driving - neither were hurt. I'd replace the vehicle any day over dealing with injuries.)

And I make certain I check out accident protection in any car (new or used) that we buy. The insurance companies have good ratings for this. I care about how much the vehicle will protect its people more than anything else.

Modern cars are designed to take the hit to protect their people. When the front end crumples as it did (engine drops, etc), then it allows more stopping time. Allowing more stopping time puts less force on the people. Less force = less injuries. Dropping the engine means it doesn't end up crushing the driver's body. The older cars that didn't crumple spared the car, but tended to either take the lives of the people inside or cause far more injuries from the "quick stop."

Be thankful the car looks as it did. It gave its life stopping your hubby from looking that way instead. ;)

But yeah, the hassle now with replacing the car is certainly no fun. (We had to replace our minivan last winter after a crash with a tree on an icy road. Both my younger boys were in it - middle son was driving - neither were hurt. I'd replace the vehicle any day over dealing with injuries.)

And I make certain I check out accident protection in any car (new or used) that we buy. The insurance companies have good ratings for this. I care about how much the vehicle will protect its people more than anything else.

One of the emergency responders said the same thing last night. And I am very thankful he's okay, and the hassle of losing/replacing the car is negligible next to his safety.

I have to be realistic though. We can't afford a car payment, so what we can get on the insurance money is what we get. If we have to go to one vehicle I would probably have to give up my part time tutoring job, which would stink. Hopefully we will find out something soon. I will definitely check out the accident protection ratings though - that's a good tip.

I have to be realistic though. We can't afford a car payment, so what we can get on the insurance money is what we get. If we have to go to one vehicle I would probably have to give up my part time tutoring job, which would stink. Hopefully we will find out something soon. I will definitely check out the accident protection ratings though - that's a good tip.

We couldn't afford a car payment either. We went down to one car for about a month - maybe a little longer. Then our mechanic knew someone wanting to sell a car. It was a '92 Mercury Sable station wagon and they only wanted $200 for it. We had to get new tires and fix a couple of more minor things, but it's what we drive now. It drives quite nicely, esp for being almost 20 years old. I'm very thankful he told the sellers about us. It also has decent accident ratings. ;)