Menu

stomach flu phobia...am I alone???

am I the only one with this phobia? I can deal with lots of things, but this is one thing that totally freaks me out every year....and my phobia has gotten worse becasue we bought a bunk bed this summer for the boys, and I didn't think about this issue until after it was up and the boys were sleeping on it...I hate the idea of someone getting sick, in the middle of the night, on the top bunk...my kids don't make it to the toilet becasue they are HEAVY sleepers. Am I the only weird one???

No, I have this issue too.:) Five years ago when my twins were only 2 and DD 3, we all came down with the WORST stomach virus EVER. I've had lot's of them but this was so extremely horrible. I wanted to die, but wanted to live for my kids. :) Anyway, I've had this phobia ever since then. The kid's have had a couple since then and I had one in the spring, but nothing like that virus a few years ago. It still makes me nervous if I think about it too long.:001_huh:

Nope. I have the stomach flu. I can deal with anything else but this. I hate vomitting. I hate seeing my kids vomit and the very fact of cleaning it up I hate.

I have not bought bunk beds for the very reason you speak, though we do need them. My kids are known for getting up and just vomiting right where they are at. I can see it being a horrid mess for us.

Its going around here in Southern IL and it has me FREAKED out. I HATE it. I have irrational fears about it...to the point that I have trouble falling asleep thinking a kid may wake up sick :glare: My dd is having a sleepover tomorrow and we are going ice skating Friday with girl scouts and my sister is taking my boys to st Louis and I all I can think about is...what happens if they get sick at any of these places???

I have a barf bowl in the car for EACH kid. My dd has a loft and my sons have bunkbeds and they all have barf bowls in their beds with their names on them.

If one kid goes down I keep everyone home for days (I am determined not to do that this year) I get paranoid around the holidays, worrying about someone getting it and us not getting to go to the holiday.

Last year Thanksgiving, my cousins all had it, and my kids and husband got it and they threw up the whole5 hour drive home and I wanted to die. This year...we are not even going to Thanksgiving because I cannot ever ever do that again.

Yeah, I have a total crazy irrational stomach flu fear. I myself havent thrown up in 10 years...not through a single pregnancy or flu season. I refuse to puke. ;)

Nope. You are not alone. I swear if there is a stomach bug withing a 50mi radius my kids will pick it up and take it home like a lost puppy. My kids are generally healthy. We do not get the usual crud that goes around. But all heck breaks loose if a stomach bug is near. And we ALL get it:glare:. Nothing stinks more than holding a puking 4yo over the toilet while you need to puke/other things. Nothing makes me question God more than a stomach bug. I want to ask "Really God? The stomach bug? What were you thinking?"

I don't care if I get peed on, messy poopy diapers do not bother me, and I can handle baby spit up just fine.

But throwing up (of anything other than breastmilk)? Nope. Can't handle it. Never have been able to. Thankfully, God has had mercy on me and has not given me children prone to stomach bugs or other vomiting. The couple of times the kids have thrown up, thankfully, DH has handled it for me. (He, otoh, does not handle poopy diapers well at all. I guess we all have our things.)

wow...I am not alone....do you guys spray everything in site with Lysol too? That is my BIG thing...don't know if it really does any good...but it makes me feel better.

Yep. I keep telling dh that he needs to invent a Lysol bomb. Seriously, I lysol every surface of the house after and outbreak of the evil stomach bug. That bug is nasty, evil, and should just go extinct like roaches.

wow...I am not alone....do you guys spray everything in site with Lysol too? That is my BIG thing...don't know if it really does any good...but it makes me feel better.

Nope. I don't. I would, but the only thing that kills those stomach viruses is a bleach solution. :( I do have bleach in a spray bottle. ;)

I've posted here before that I have bad BAD emitophobia. Ugh. It's gotten worse with every child I've had- probably because there's more people to have and/or worry about puking. :willy_nilly: It's one thing to look after 2 puking kids, but 5 :svengo: I can't even think on that right now.

I've tried to educate myself on incubation and how to prevent it, in an effort to lessen my anxiety about getting stomach bugs. Some bits have helped settle my mind but other things have completely unnerved me. A good site for info, if you care, is (I got this site from a post on these boards) http://www.stopthestomachflu.com I figure knowledge is power, but some of the stuff on that site freaked me out. One thing she did say was if someone has had the stomach flu through their house, that it's best to wait 3 weeks after the last of them has had it before going over. :001_huh: Makes me never want to leave my house sometimes. :tongue_smilie:

I feel like I need to wash my hands after reading this thread. :001_huh:

am I the only one with this phobia? I can deal with lots of things, but this is one thing that totally freaks me out every year....and my phobia has gotten worse becasue we bought a bunk bed this summer for the boys, and I didn't think about this issue until after it was up and the boys were sleeping on it...I hate the idea of someone getting sick, in the middle of the night, on the top bunk...my kids don't make it to the toilet becasue they are HEAVY sleepers. Am I the only weird one???

My biggest thing was the bookshelves. I remember reading on here once about someone's child who threw up all over their bookshelf. I was horrified. lol I posted a while back about that, asking if I was completely insane for wanting to put glass doors on a Billy bookshelf I was thinking of putting in my kids' rooms.... just in case. :001_unsure:

Most people replied they'd never have thought of that. I wouldn't have either if it weren't for this board. But there you have it- I had something else to worry about. :tongue_smilie:

I'm not thrilled about the bunk bed bit either. I just hope that if the kiddo on the top gets sick, they won't lean over the edge. We need to have bunkbeds so I try not to think on that too much. lol

I get very freaked out when I hear the stomach flu is going around. Not for me, but more for DS8. While I don't like getting it either, I can survive it. DS8 almost died from it when he was 3. He's very thin, and the stomach flu dehydrates him within a matter of hours. It's always a trip to the pediatrician for an anti-nausea shot every single time.

I hate stomach bugs. Having one is an automatic trip to the doctor to get an RX to stop it in its tracks. I've even been to the ER a couple of times when I get sick in the middle of the night. They serve 'GI cocktails'. Yes, I'm really that big of a wimp when it comes to stomach bugs. Sorry, but I just don't do them.

This thread is funny :D

I just spent the last three days cleaning puke out of the carpet courtesy of my 2yo. Vomit has never bothered me one bit. I'm just not one of those people who is affected by it.

When I was working in a nursing home and someone puked I was the one who was always sent to clean it up because the other nurses would turn green and run for the bathrooms :lol:

So when my kids get sick it's more of an annoyance about the cleanup then the actual puke that bothers me. Of course -I'm not made of stone -I really hate getting sick myself.

Now blood on the other hand :eek: I pass out if someone even talks about it -let alone if I see it. I don't know what I'd do if one of my kids had a major bleeding accident because I would be too busy passed out on the floor to ring an ambulance :o

This thread is funny :D

I just spent the last three days cleaning puke out of the carpet courtesy of my 2yo. Vomit has never bothered me one bit. I'm just not one of those people who is affected by it.

When I was working in a nursing home and someone puked I was the one who was always sent to clean it up because the other nurses would turn green and run for the bathrooms :lol:

So when my kids get sick it's more of an annoyance about the cleanup then the actual puke that bothers me. Of course -I'm not made of stone -I really hate getting sick myself.

Now blood on the other hand :eek: I pass out if someone even talks about it -let alone if I see it. I don't know what I'd do if one of my kids had a major bleeding accident because I would be too busy passed out on the floor to ring an ambulance :o

this is so funny....blood, I can do....but puke...ugh!!

Whoa, I repllied and now it's gone. Guess I should reread rules to see what rule I broke.

Just suffice it to say that I'm part of this club too and just absolutely dread puke. We're going on a 10-day Thanksgiving road trip (four nights in hotels and then time at my 81 yo mom's house). If someone breaks an arm or gets a horrible cold, I can deal with that, but oh boy, if the pukes hit, I'll freak out. That's what I dread.

Bleach is the best cleaner, but it should be freshly open (within in the last month) and diliuted right before use (don't mix it up days before you use it). Other good cleaners are Virkon (check ebay as they sometimes have little jars of it -- it's a powder you mix up) and VitalOxide (National Allergy Supply carries it; it's a non-aerosol spray). They both smell better than Lysol III which also works on stomach germs.

I hate stomach bugs. Having one is an automatic trip to the doctor to get an RX to stop it in its tracks. I've even been to the ER a couple of times when I get sick in the middle of the night. They serve 'GI cocktails'. Yes, I'm really that big of a wimp when it comes to stomach bugs. Sorry, but I just don't do them.

My doctor REFUSES to entertain me and give us an RX. I am totally jealous. My dd threw up over 100 times over a 7 day period and he wouldnt give us anything. Ended up at the ER for fluids and they gave her a suppository, but wouldn't give us any to take home. I need to find these on the black market....hmmmmmm maybe I can order some from Mexico :lol:

If anyone knows how to get these...PM me (insert smiley with darty eyes)

We scored some Zofran (antinausea) that I am hanging on to. All you have to do is have a child vomit from a newly burst appendix, spebnd nine nights in the hospital, develop a secondary infection and take five different industrial-strength antibiotics over a 21 day period and you'll get some... Easy as pie.

We used most the Zofran but have about five little pills left...

The ped's unit hands it out quite freely ... probably because nearly everyone on the ward is a vomit risk and they hate puke too!

My doctor REFUSES to entertain me and give us an RX. I am totally jealous. My dd threw up over 100 times over a 7 day period and he wouldnt give us anything. Ended up at the ER for fluids and they gave her a suppository, but wouldn't give us any to take home. I need to find these on the black market....hmmmmmm maybe I can order some from Mexico :lol:

If anyone knows how to get these...PM me (insert smiley with darty eyes)

me too!! me too!! I would love to have something on hand...