Menu

Majors with highest unemployment rates

pqr

And how does that make you feel?

:tongue_smilie:

:auto:

eta, I think I want to be an actuary when I grow up!

:lol:

I admit, I was a little annoyed when I saw 0% unemployment for ed. admin. majors while all the other teaching majors had some percentage of unemployment. Does anyone know the difference between the education admin. major and the other education majors? Is it more rigorous? Do ed. admin majors teach at all or go straight to administration?

well, I was coming in to post something similar.

Statistics are just numbers and don't amount to a whole hill of beans without specifics (do you like my puns there? :D)

Dh is an accountant, but he wasn't an accounting major in undergrad. There are so many kinds of accountants and so many difference education levels that you really can't make a general statistic like that.

It is the same for education. A high school History teacher may have a higher unemployment rate overall than a Special Education teacher or Math teacher.

Too many variables.

Dawn

It says Accounting is at 5.4%, but that isn't a clear number unless you know how many are CPAs....at least that is what I am hanging on to!:tongue_smilie:

Yeah that's why I opted not to pursue a PsyD. I was very interested in doing so, but the job prospects were awful (not to mention one has a better chance of being struck by lightening than being accepted into a program).

I kinda surprise about the rate for Psy.. there are so many nuts around..

I admit, I was a little annoyed when I saw 0% unemployment for ed. admin. majors while all the other teaching majors had some percentage of unemployment. Does anyone know the difference between the education admin. major and the other education majors? Is it more rigorous? Do ed. admin majors teach at all or go straight to administration?

Every school principal I ever worked with or knew personally was a former teacher. A few of them were promoted to an administration position under the condition that they recieve their administration degree within a certain period of time. Most administrative positions require at least a Masters degree. I had classmates in college in my graduate level special ed courses who were educational administration grad students, and they were all former teachers who had an administrative position waiting for them back in their hometowns. But, I've lived near some of the most rural areas in the country, where teaching positions can be very hard to fill.

Remember, too, that these statistics aren't absolutely conclusive due to those that have used up their unemployment benefits and are still out of work. Once that happens, a person is no longer calculated into the unemployment percentages.

Even so, I appreciate the graphic and find it to be quite interesting.

Blessings,

Lucinda

:lurk5:

According to the graphic, it is the major with the highest unemployment.

And you can do almost nothing in your field with an undergraduate major in clinical psych. The next step is grad school of some type. After that, I would suspect that the unemployment rate changes quite a bit.

Remember, too, that these statistics aren't absolutely conclusive due to those that have used up their unemployment benefits and are still out of work. Once that happens, a person is no longer calculated into the unemployment percentages.

It also doesn't count the underemployed, or people who currently have part-time work but want full-time work.

Usually educational admin. is studied by someone who is already a teacher (or principal) and hoping to be promoted to principal or district office. So, most people majoring in that already HAD a job before taking the course. Since most of them also already had tenure, they are highly unlikely to lose their job, and thus unlikely to be unemployed.

Clinical psychology 19.5%

This is bad. I looked at the list and all of the majors with psychology were at least 10%, with clinical psychology being the highest. My dd13's main motivation to get through high school is to get to college and study psychology. Her plan is to graduate high school at 17. She's even taking a psychology class as an elective and getting more interested. Hopefully things won't be so bad by the time she graduates with at least a Masters degree. That could be 2021 or 2022 probably.

Edited by Night Elf

I don't find the data particularly useful.

Lately, I've been thinking of college as the new high school unfortunately, and grad school as the new college. I will recommend to all my kids that they eventually attend grad school of one sort or another (for something useful, of course).

Usually educational admin. is studied by someone who is already a teacher (or principal) and hoping to be promoted to principal or district office. So, most people majoring in that already HAD a job before taking the course. Since most of them also already had tenure, they are highly unlikely to lose their job, and thus unlikely to be unemployed.

I thought that at first, too, but this is a BA. The teachers I know who wanted to go that route already had their BAs and got their masters in ed. admin. Honestly, I didn't even realize you could get a BA in ed. admin. Seems rather like putting the cart before the horse. But I know very little about this, so there you go. :)

This is misleading because most in the psych field know that to get anykind of job you will need a master's degree, a bachelor's will do you no good at all. I am getting my master's in professional counseling and I know that I will have no problem finding and attaining a job once I am done. There are tons of places looking for people with a master's degree in professional counseling, social work, marriage and family counseling, ect..... This is a field that will always be growing because unfortunately people are always going to have problems dealing with life, addiction and mental illness.

My DH doesnt have a degree at all and makes what the same average as those with one in his field. I am glad we didnt bother with student loans!

How long has he been working in the field? When the job market was tight some years back, you could get hired without a degree and be fine. But right now most companies have plenty of folks applying with college degrees, even graduate ones, so if you don't already have experience it's unlikely you'd get hired. I have friends who were hired in like that and now feel the squeeze. One worked for 15 years, was laid off, and now can't get an interview competing against folks with degrees. It's brutal.

So, I'm glad it worked out for your dh, but few folks are so lucky these days if the field normally requires a degree (and most that pay over $50K do, unless it is a skilled trade).

Well, better than I thought for my elementary Ed major. The actuary and nurse will be fine. What is with military science at 10%? I thought future soldier boy would have the best employment future.

Well, a military career can only last so long. And about the time that someone is ready to retire, they need to feed teenagers or put kids through college.

Also, I can't say that I can think of any officers among my acquaintance who have a military science degree. Maybe some of the older academy grads from before there were majors? But most of my friends have degrees in engineering, science, math, econ, history, etc. The closest to military science I can think of is a history degree that specialized in military history. And those are few and far between.

In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say (based on at least two minutes of googling) that military science DEGREES seem to be mostly something completed at a for profit college. There may be a military science department at a civilian school, but they seem to exist to run courses for ROTC programs and not to confer degrees.

Numbers in this table come from the census. Did anyone notice the 15% plus unemployment rate for US History majors?

Do a lot of institutions offer majors in "U.S. History?" I've never heard of that before -- everywhere I've attended or taught at has only offered degrees in plain old history, even at the doctoral level. And I see that this chart lists "history" separately (the rate is rather lower; I wonder if this has to do with the institutions?)

How long has he been working in the field? When the job market was tight some years back, you could get hired without a degree and be fine. But right now most companies have plenty of folks applying with college degrees, even graduate ones, so if you don't already have experience it's unlikely you'd get hired. I have friends who were hired in like that and now feel the squeeze. One worked for 15 years, was laid off, and now can't get an interview competing against folks with degrees. It's brutal.

So, I'm glad it worked out for your dh, but few folks are so lucky these days if the field normally requires a degree (and most that pay over $50K do, unless it is a skilled trade).

He has worked in Computer Science off and on since he finished school in England. I will say that while he doesnt have a degree he does stay up to date on certifications. He did get out of the field for a while, because when we met and got married we had to go through the immigration process and my dad gave him a construction job. He decided about 5 years ago to get back into computers. He put in some applications and got hired fairly quickly. He recently (about 4 months ago) decided to change jobs for a better chance at advancement. He had no problem getting several interviews and was hired by one of the companies. I don't know if we were just extremely blessed, if the area we live in makes the difference, if his certs and recommendations made the difference, his sexy British accent or what. Probably a combination of all of them, but the fact that he doesn't have a degree has not been a factor at all. He has also been able to negotiate his pay with success.

I realize it might not be that easy for everyone, but it is possible to do well without a degree :)

Is possible for some, yes. The rest of us need the paper to prove we are worthy! :D

Bill Gates didn't finish college. Most actors didn't finish college. The ones who do exceptionally well are few and far between. The ones who do well have a particular skill set that is needed and marketable.

I would never use the above examples to say someone doesn't need to finish college though. The other 95% of those who didn't finish and aren't doing well speak for the masses.

I am very happy your DH is doing well. That speaks highly of him and his abilities.

Dawn

He has worked in Computer Science off and on since he finished school in England. I will say that while he doesnt have a degree he does stay up to date on certifications. He did get out of the field for a while, because when we met and got married we had to go through the immigration process and my dad gave him a construction job. He decided about 5 years ago to get back into computers. He put in some applications and got hired fairly quickly. He recently (about 4 months ago) decided to change jobs for a better chance at advancement. He had no problem getting several interviews and was hired by one of the companies. I don't know if we were just extremely blessed, if the area we live in makes the difference, if his certs and recommendations made the difference, his sexy British accent or what. Probably a combination of all of them, but the fact that he doesn't have a degree has not been a factor at all. He has also been able to negotiate his pay with success.

I realize it might not be that easy for everyone, but it is possible to do well without a degree :)

I did apply and was accepted to a PhD program but it was in Education.

I was 29 and childless at the time and thought, "What the heck. I need another goal!" :lol:

Then I sat down with some professors to fully lay out the plan and I realized that I would finish at 35 or so and have no time to start a family before I finished without a major hit to my ability to finish, etc....and I decided to have kids instead.

I also realized that my salary would go DOWN if I were to go into College Academia, although my kids could have gone to college for free.

Dawn

Yeah that's why I opted not to pursue a PsyD. I was very interested in doing so, but the job prospects were awful (not to mention one has a better chance of being struck by lightening than being accepted into a program).

Do a lot of institutions offer majors in "U.S. History?" I've never heard of that before -- everywhere I've attended or taught at has only offered degrees in plain old history, even at the doctoral level. And I see that this chart lists "history" separately (the rate is rather lower; I wonder if this has to do with the institutions?)

My school offers 3 concentrations for a BA in History: American History and Culture, History of Ideas, and World History and Cultures. I can point you to the link if you're interested in what the programs look like.

This is misleading because most in the psych field know that to get anykind of job you will need a master's degree, a bachelor's will do you no good at all. I am getting my master's in professional counseling and I know that I will have no problem finding and attaining a job once I am done. There are tons of places looking for people with a master's degree in professional counseling, social work, marriage and family counseling, ect..... This is a field that will always be growing because unfortunately people are always going to have problems dealing with life, addiction and mental illness.

You'll have to get licensed first and it really depends on where you live as to how "easy" that will be. In our area, the master's level field is saturated (2 state school and a couple private churning out Master's level grads within 2 hours of each other in a place with small population). Finding a place to get post grad/pre-license hours is challenging and without the post-grad hours you can't get licensed. You can work for free for the post-grad hours but here we have to get 2000 hours within 2 years. There is a time crunch to consider. As the filed grows, the pay per hour will go down. An master's level licensed therapist is making between $15 -$35 /hour here. And, depending on your fee split with your agency that doesn't ensure that's what you'll be making. And, many of thoseare self employed so not drawing benefits.

This is calculated based on the U.S. Census, not on unemployment benefits.

You'll have to get licensed first and it really depends on where you live as to how "easy" that will be. In our area, the master's level field is saturated (2 state school and a couple private churning out Master's level grads within 2 hours of each other in a place with small population). Finding a place to get post grad/pre-license hours is challenging and without the post-grad hours you can't get licensed. You can work for free for the post-grad hours but here we have to get 2000 hours within 2 years. There is a time crunch to consider. As the filed grows, the pay per hour will go down. An master's level licensed therapist is making between $15 -$35 /hour here. And, depending on your fee split with your agency that doesn't ensure that's what you'll be making. And, many of thoseare self employed so not drawing benefits.

Thanks for your input. I do know about getting a license, although the few places here in the town I live in don't require it and only require the master's degree. The one job I am interested in starts at $56k per year, I think that's good and they promise you that they will give you the hours to get your license while you work for them. I already have 2 places that have told me to come work for them while putting in the hours, so right now I am just waiting to finish my degree.