Menu

10 y/o ds always cold at night ideas?

:lurk5:

My 7yr old is always cold too. Despite footy-pjs and piles of blankets. We've finally put a sleeping bag on that is rated for (- 30), along with the warm pjs, flannel sheets and a microfleece blanket and he is warm. Of course the really cold weather hasn't set in yet.

Another blanket and a bag of rice that you warm up in the microwave! You can make one by tying off a large tube sock, or, if you sew, cut off a pant leg and stitch it up.

Last winter, I kept my blow dryer beside the bed and "blew" my bed before getting in--oh. my. It was toasty and WONDERFUL!:D

For me, if I'm cold when I first get into bed, then I'm cold all night. If I start out warm, then I'm usually fine. I have a heated mattress pad on my bed which I turn on about 1/2 before bedtime. I turn it on high so it's really toasty, and leave it on while I read a little. Then I can turn it off before I actually go to sleep.

He wears either flannel or footed one piece "blanket sleeper" pjs.

He has fleece sheets, on top of that a microfleece blanket, then a fuzzy blanket, then a woolrich down comforter, and his bed quilt on top.

I bought him thicker curtains and we keep the thermostat at 68.

I'd rather him not have an electric blanket and wool may be an issue with allergies.

Any suggestions on how to help him stay warm at night?

I'm fine with buying another blanket, just don't know what else may help.

He has a sleeping bag rated to 30 degrees. That was my only other thought, to put that on top of his bed, then start adding the above covers until he's warm. :lol:

Okay - the woolrich "down" comforter I found online was 75% feathers and 25% down - HUGE difference in warmth potential. (feathers are not warm, just heavy and bulky.). do you know the percentages on your ds's?

Is he dehydrated? that could make him feel colder too.

a sheepswool (oh, the wool thing again) or viscose foam (hypoallergenic) mattress topper can actually help you feel warmer too.

when I was growing up, I was always cold. (also dehydrated). I had probably 11 blankets on my bed in the winter. some were wool, most were not. I now have a down (500 FP) comforter, and that's it. If it's really cold, I have tossed a second one on too, or a wool blanket on top of the down to trap the heat. At university, my girls just tossed a wool blanket on top of one down comforter. Including my daughter who. was. always. cold.

Edited by gardenmom5

I love my electric blanket, but I only use it to warm up my bed. I never sleep with it on. My dd got a little pig you can put in the microwave to warm it up and then cuddle with it to stay warm. It is just rice heated up but it is does the trick to get her a little warm to start with. When it is really cold I would wear a hat to bed (not a big problem in ATL unless we lose power)

This may sound strange, but try a turtleneck under the jammies. Just having the neck covered can make a huge difference. It does for me and for my DS anyway.

Also, I find fleece really doesn't do a good job of keeping warmth. I know you said wool may be an issue- I would find out if it is an issue or not, because one wool blanket thrown into the mix could make a huge difference. Wool is amazing for trapping in heat.

My ds has a down alternative blanket on top his comforter and other blanket. This helps him. We also buy the plastic seal wrap that you tape and blow dry around the window. It really makes a difference on any draft or extra cold radiating off the window. I just bought a huge stack this year at Target on clearance 75% off. They were the patio door size and I guess people don't take the time to realize it does't matter what size it is because you trim them to the dimensions you need.

What about a space heater in his room that is only on for 30 minutes before bedtime to warm up the space a bit?

I'm personally too fearful of our old wiring to keep a space heater on all the time, but I'm comfortable turning one on in the kids' room for just a little bit each night knowing that I can personally make sure it is turned off/unplugged before I go to bed. I prefer the type that are basically just oil filled radiators, they just seem safer to me for some reason than one that blows out hot air.

Edited by Wabi Sabi

He has a sleeping bag rated to 30 degrees. That was my only other thought, to put that on top of his bed, then start adding the above covers until he's warm. :lol:

My daughter was always cold when she was little and I just substituted in my good quality high loft mummy sleeping bag for the blankets. That was the end of her being cold at night, plus she slept better with that closed in feeling. I can't remember the brand but it's definitely not a cheapie and/or kids's bag.

Also worth mentioning is that not all fleece is created equal. My kids were begging for electric blankets and as a last resort I bought some pricey double layer fleece blankets (on sale, of course). Coupled with flannel sheets they're happy now.

Has anyone mentioned putting something on his head? (A lot of heat is lost through the top of your head.)

On really cold nights, I wear a hoodie and cover my head. (I can wear socks, fleece PJ's, and use a down comforter, BUT when my head pokes out I'm still cold.) I tried a hat, but it kept coming off in the night.

Didn't they wear nightcaps many years ago???

Has anyone mentioned putting something on his head? (A lot of heat is lost through the top of your head.)

On really cold nights, I wear a hoodie and cover my head. (I can wear socks, fleece PJ's, and use a down comforter, BUT when my head pokes out I'm still cold.) I tried a hat, but it kept coming off in the night.

Didn't they wear nightcaps many years ago???

Give him a cap to sleep in. Or a hoodie. DD10 does that most nights in winter because she is always cold (medical issues). I like to use a hot water bottle at night because I can't get to sleep when my feet are cold. Once my feet warm up, I sleep well.

I use a down-alternative comforter and flannel sheets. DH is a little too hot, but I am just right. :D